Ghost of V

Re: evidence- for and against
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 07:48:45 AM »
Excuse my ignorance. the reason i made that point was that irushwithscvs posted a recommendation to seek other knowledge elsewhere. Wherever i go to seek extra knowledge, i am bombarded with absolutely nothing suggesting that anyone outside a blind fringe group ( no offence ) has even considered that the earth is flat.
I respectfully request that you keep my nationality out of this pizaaplanet.
Australians are just as intelligent and respectable as Americans

What are your precise questions? I will try to supply you with the resources to discover the answers.

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2015, 08:07:50 AM »
Measurements point to it being true.
So... who to believe? Someone who simply cannot think or a scientific measurement? I choose the scientific measurement.

Whether or not the bulge is significant or not, it is not a perfect sphere. A difference of 42 kms is pretty small on a planetary scale, but certainly seems large enough if you were to go out and travel 42 kms.

Your analogy of rounding 0.3 to 1 instead of to 0 is an inaccurate analogy.
An oblate spheroid is a rotationally symmetric ellipsoid having a polar axis shorter than the diameter of the equatorial circle whose plane bisects it.
Because the difference is only 42 kms does not mean that the definition is moot.

Perhaps if you learn more about RET, you'll understand why it isn't true. I suggest going over more geodesy topics before engaging me again; I won't repeat myself ad infinitum only to have you argue the same incorrect point in a likewise manner.

While I am unfamiliar with Round Earth Theory for the simple reason that it is not a scientific theory as it is an observable fact, I am quite knowledgable about how a round world works. Besides living on a round Earth, I teach secondary science, which includes Earth and Atmospheric Sciences to grade 9.
Everything about a round Earth works flawlessly with all the observations you can make about the Earth and have been made about the Earth as well as all the measurements taken over the years by thousands of scientists.

I find it funny how so many on this site claim the 'countless' experiments, observations and calculations that 'prove' the Earth flat and yet the very wiki that you tell everyone to go to for answers only has a couple experiments listed under 'evidence' that have been thoroughly debunked for years.

The only thing this site has a lot of is thought experiments. Attempts to explain phenomenon IF the world was flat. Sadly, none of them graduate beyond attempts (and I have read the entire wiki - that also is 'sadly').
Funny is that anything that a thought experiment assuming a flat Earth cannot explain is simply passed off as a hoax or conspiracy. I say funny, but it really is kind of sad.

If repeating yourself is annoying, then stop repeating points that have already been refuted. If debating is too far beneath you, don't debate.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:40:20 AM by AMann »

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2015, 08:32:39 AM »
Excuse my ignorance. the reason i made that point was that irushwithscvs posted a recommendation to seek other knowledge elsewhere. Wherever i go to seek extra knowledge, i am bombarded with absolutely nothing suggesting that anyone outside a blind fringe group ( no offence ) has even considered that the earth is flat.

What are your precise questions? I will try to supply you with the resources to discover the answers.

How about any actual irrefutable evidence that the Earth is flat?

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2015, 08:57:18 AM »

On the contrary, sir, there is plenty of evidence the earth is flat.
However, it all relies on human observation, as all the satellites in the world are owned and bankrolled by NASA and the CIA.
Vauxhall the panda boy, here lie me questions.
1.How do you know scientifically that the earth is flat?
2. What made you see this way yourself? I am assuming that you were brainwashed as a child into believing this globular nonsense, so why and when the change?
3. what are the premise dimensions of the flat earth model? e.g. Width of the disc, distance to the sun, circumference?
3a. How do you know these measurements are accurate?
4. What are the ways that FET might be proved wrong?
5. Why has such a huge thing as the shape of the earth been hidden of so long?
5a. What would the perpetrators of the conspiracy ever hope to gain?

Once you are done with ( or ignore ) these queries, i have more.
Proving the opposition wrong is not the same as proving yourself right

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2015, 09:27:50 AM »

However, it all relies on human observation, as all the satellites in the world are owned and bankrolled by NASA and the CIA.

I am afraid that your information is incorrect. There is no need to rely on satellites. The knowledge that the Earth is round was found thousands of years before satellites where around.
Human observations that led to this knowledge include but are not limited to:
-The gradual disappearance of ships over the horizon, the tops of the sails disappearing last.
-The shape of the curved shadow of the earth on the moon during eclipses.
-The variation of the sun's elevation with latitude. (This was the basis of Eratosthenes' measurement.)
-The variation of a star's elevation with latitude. The fact that one sees new stars as one moves north or south on the earth's surface.

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2015, 09:57:30 AM »
I was taking the role of the devil's advocate, and employing reductio ad absurdum.
You can be assured, i agree with everything you are saying

I am afraid that your information is incorrect. There is no need to rely on satellites. The knowledge that the Earth is round was found thousands of years before satellites where around.
Human observations that led to this knowledge include but are not limited to:
-The gradual disappearance of ships over the horizon, the tops of the sails disappearing last.
-The shape of the curved shadow of the earth on the moon during eclipses.
-The variation of the sun's elevation with latitude. (This was the basis of Eratosthenes' measurement.)
-The variation of a star's elevation with latitude. The fact that one sees new stars as one moves north or south on the earth's surface.

Ghost of V

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »
2. What made you see this way yourself? I am assuming that you were brainwashed as a child into believing this globular nonsense, so why and when the change?
3. what are the premise dimensions of the flat earth model? e.g. Width of the disc, distance to the sun, circumference?

- I've seen it with my own two eyes. The world disc and all its glorious majesty. The creatures that inhabit this great disc create a euphoric vibration to the realms of goodness and flatness. If you look out your window, you will notice that a) the world in front of you is flat and b) all the animals chirping, tweeting, and barking are speaking in a universal language that says: "The Earth is flat". If this mystical answer is not enough for you: we have solid maths showing that the Sun is only 3000 or so miles away, and the Bedford Level experiment which shows that one of the longest rivers on Earth remains flat (no curvature) throughout its entire run.

My point about the animals is that most animals could not actually survive on a spherical Earth. Their habitats simply would not allow them survival. Temps would be different as the Sun is much further away so it would be considerably colder, and many of them would simply slip off and the fall into the void (including us, this is because UA does not work with a Round Earth model).

- I was born a Flat Earther. At the age of 6 I asked my mom about a globe my father had bought me. He said "Take a look at this son" and I did. I looked hard. After hours of thought I asked my mother why my dad had given me a representation of Earth that was false. I asked them "how come this is a ball and when I look outside it is just flat all the way?" My Father could not answer the question, and at this point I was a 100% bonafide FE'er. When I discovered that my parents could not even come up with 1 good reason why the Earth was round, that's when it started. Afterwards, I ran from my home and haven't seen my parents since (it's been 25 years).

- The Sun disc lights up 25,000 nautical miles worth of land on the Flat Earth. The Earth itself is actually a few times bigger than this. The Sun disc itself is about 3000 miles above the Earth, with a diameter of 32 miles.

- Extensive research and common sense.

- I cannot think of any. All evidence to the contrary has been extensively debunked.

- avarice and control.

- Supreme domination of the Earth and its creatures.

And by the by, I am not a boy.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:08:52 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2015, 02:47:44 AM »

- I've seen it with my own two eyes. The world disc and all its glorious majesty. The creatures that inhabit this great disc create a euphoric vibration to the realms of goodness and flatness. If you look out your window, you will notice that a) the world in front of you is flat and b) all the animals chirping, tweeting, and barking are speaking in a universal language that says: "The Earth is flat". If this mystical answer is not enough for you: we have solid maths showing that the Sun is only 3000 or so miles away, and the Bedford Level experiment which shows that one of the longest rivers on Earth remains flat (no curvature) throughout its entire run.

My point about the animals is that most animals could not actually survive on a spherical Earth. Their habitats simply would not allow them survival. Temps would be different as the Sun is much further away so it would be considerably colder, and many of them would simply slip off and the fall into the void (including us, this is because UA does not work with a Round Earth model).

- I was born a Flat Earther. At the age of 6 I asked my mom about a globe my father had bought me. He said "Take a look at this son" and I did. I looked hard. After hours of thought I asked my mother why my dad had given me a representation of Earth that was false. I asked them "how come this is a ball and when I look outside it is just flat all the way?" My Father could not answer the question, and at this point I was a 100% bonafide FE'er. When I discovered that my parents could not even come up with 1 good reason why the Earth was round, that's when it started. Afterwards, I ran from my home and haven't seen my parents since (it's been 25 years).

- The Sun disc lights up 25,000 nautical miles worth of land on the Flat Earth. The Earth itself is actually a few times bigger than this. The Sun disc itself is about 3000 miles above the Earth, with a diameter of 32 miles.

- Extensive research and common sense.

- I cannot think of any. All evidence to the contrary has been extensively debunked.

- avarice and control.

- Supreme domination of the Earth and its creatures.

And by the by, I am not a boy.

So, when asked for scientific evidence, you give none.
Just an unconfirmed BS statement that you have seen a flat Earth. Sorry to burst your magical bubble, but unless you somehow live on a different Earth than everyone else, it is spherical. It's been empirically observed.
The animals and birds chirp that the world is flat???? Try making observations when you are sober.
When I look out the window, I never see a flat Earth. On the contrary, I have only ever seen variations in elevation due to the rolling hills around where I live.
A part of a circle can appear flat if the part is small enough...
Your calculations that the sun is only 3000 miles above the Earth is BS. It operates on the false assumption that the Earth is flat and utilizes only 2 locations to determine distance above the Earth. Using different locations on Earth and the same false assumption, you will get a different answer to the distance above the Earth.
The stupid Bedford Experiment has already been shown to be false in both its assumptions and conclusion. You can read back through this thread and see why. Using an already debunked farce of an experiment as evidence is just ignorant.
The experiment was performed on the Old Bedford River in Norfolk England. That you call it one of the longest rivers on Earth shows how little you know about geography.

Your comment about not being able to survive on a spherical Earth is baseless BS.
Nothing is going to fall off - we have this thing called gravity that keeps us down. (Remember learning about gravity in school?)

2. So, you are saying that because your parents were too stupid to explain all the many ways to tell that the Earth is round that you failed to try and look up the answer on your own and assumed that the world is flat? I call BS on your story as well, but as there is no way to substantiate it, we'll let it slide.

3. I am laughing at your answer of "extensive research and common sense". For one any 'extensive research' conducted on those figures shows that the calculations utilize unsubstantiated assumptions in order to be completed. That the Sun has a diameter of only 32 miles for instance only works based on the calculation that the Sun is approximately 3000 miles above the Earth. That calculation has already been shown to be false, so any subsequent calculation based on that false calculation are likewise false.

4. Very wrong here too. Flat Earth has been shown to be wrong for thousands of years already.
Nothing about the spherical Earth has ever been shown to be false - show me one piece of evidence that anything about the spherical Earth has been debunked. You can't? Because there is none.
Now, in the modern age we have even more evidence with satellite photos and even a historic picture taken from the Moon. Claiming these events did not happen is the only way to perpetuate the flat Earth lie.

5. Complete conjecture about a lie to begin with. Just like there is no evidence of a flat Earth, there is no evidence of a cover-up trying to hide the existence of a flat Earth.

You have some interesting comments, but unfortunately they are simply lies (whether intentional or repeated from someone else, who knows except you) and you failed to give any evidence as asked for. I guess it is hard to give actual evidence when there is none.

Ghost of V

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2015, 02:59:13 AM »
I am offended that you think my stories are BS. I cannot convince you otherwise, I guess, so well leave it at that.

Curious how you say none of my claims have scientific backing. I don't see any claims in your posts that have scientific backing. All I see is "you're wrong". Is this how science works in the round Earth theology?

Ghost of V

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2015, 03:22:14 AM »
I cannot tell what you are trying to say here. Firstly, where is your response?

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2015, 03:58:13 AM »
i think he is claiming that your fathers supposed admonition of " Look at this, son" clashes with your claim of not being a boy.
If you are claiming instead that you are a man, fair enough. i tip my hat to your genius six-year old self. it is amazing how much smarter you were then, than all the scientists in the world combined. roger1998 can claim more intelligence than you.
Good day sir/madam

Ghost of V

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2015, 03:59:44 AM »
I should have assumed that you wouldn't be able to follow a simple story. But you know what they say about assumptions, don't you?

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2015, 04:59:29 AM »
I am offended that you think my stories are BS. I cannot convince you otherwise, I guess, so well leave it at that.

Curious how you say none of my claims have scientific backing. I don't see any claims in your posts that have scientific backing. All I see is "you're wrong". Is this how science works in the round Earth theology?

Be offended if you so choose. There is just very little to believe in them.

It's more your claims that are BS. Like the Earth is flat, the Sun is 3000 miles away and the Sun has a diameter of 32 miles.
I've already explained how those statements were false.

My posts do not have scientific backing? We can start with the Earth is spherical. There are many observable aspects that are easy to look up - many have already been listed, such as the observations of objects over a distance, the shape of the Earth against the Moon during an eclipse, changing star patterns when moving from the northern to southern hemispheres, pictures of Earth from orbit, etc. All of which are 100% backed by science, having been observed, experimented on and confirmed thousands of times in different situations and locations. The evidence and scientific backing is there for anyone that wants to take off their blinders.

That is how science works period. You make observations, test observations, share results, retest in different scenarios and circumstances, consider all the possibilities, test to omit alternate possibilities and when all other possibilities have been disproven come to a conclusion. Even after the conclusion stage, other ideas may come up by others looking at the data that must be tested to either accept or reject.

So, according to science, the scientific method, scientists and anyone who actually looks at the data, the Earth is spherical.
According to a handful of individuals on a pseudoscience page (and I truly believe there are less than that as there are at least a couple who are laughing at home at trying to frustrate people with nonsensical arguments that the world is flat), 2 debunked experiments and several calculations based on debunked information and incomplete assumptions are trying to tell everyone that the world is actually flat... yeah... someone somewhere is having a good laugh lol