Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Falsification of RET
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 08:24:37 PM »
Because you can only observe Earth as a flat plane. It takes more "mental gymnastics" to think it is round than to just think it is flat.
What kind of "mental gymnastics" are required to explain a sunset on a flat earth?

There aren't any mental gymnastics required to think Earth is flat - that's what I am saying.
That's right, observing some local flatness is pretty easy.  The mental gymnastics come in when you try to explain anything else, like sunsets.

No one has proven things weigh slightly less at the equator, which could prove we are on a spinning ball but no one ever does it.
Actually, they have.  All you need is a very accurate scale and a known reference mass.
http://kernthegnome.tumblr.com/

Also all the planets would just get sucked into the sun anyway and never do.
Who says that planets would get sucked into the sun?  Do you understand the concept of a stable orbit?

The round Earth model starts to sound pretty whacked out when you look into it.
That depends on how well you understand the physics of how a round earth works. 
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Theorist

• Prove FE Wrong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 12:40:58 AM »
Even if the weighing was accurate, that means a force is pulling you down and pushing you up?

That is nearly impossible to consider.

How can a sphere make anything stick to it if it is spinning? I can't believe it lol.

No one can explain the mechanism that causes gravity thus you can't explain how a ball would make stuff stick to it. So you're suggesting if the "globe" stopped we would float away? I can't see it so, can that actually be proven? If not we probably shouldn't assume. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:44:29 AM by Theorist »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 01:46:45 AM »
Even if the weighing was accurate, that means a force is pulling you down and pushing you up?

That is nearly impossible to consider.
Not at all.  You just need to consider the different forces acting upon you.

How can a sphere make anything stick to it if it is spinning? I can't believe it lol.
Can't or won't?  If you refuse to believe in gravity, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

No one can explain the mechanism that causes gravity thus you can't explain how a ball would make stuff stick to it.
So what?  You don't need to understand the mechanism to see the effect.  Do you understand the mechanisms involved in making the CPU in your computer work?

So you're suggesting if the "globe" stopped we would float away?
Umm...  No.  I don't think that anyone ever said that.  If anything, if the "globe" stopped spinning, you would actually weigh slightly more.

I can't see it so, can that actually be proven? If not we probably shouldn't assume.
You don't see electrons flowing in the wiring in your house, let alone the circuitry of you computer, do you?  So how can you prove that electricity makes your computer work?  You wouldn't want to assume anything, would you?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Theorist

• Prove FE Wrong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 12:08:35 AM »
I can explain gravity but it has to incorporate a flat earth.

http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=2582.msg64585
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:10:19 AM by Theorist »