Falsification of RET
« on: January 16, 2015, 08:29:53 PM »
I asked about what could constitute a falsification of FET on another thread, and got a dishonest though revealing answer.

Nevertheless, the same question applies to RET. I don't have an example off the top of my head, but I'm sure FEers have arguments they think refute RET.

In your opinion, what is the strongest observation that refutes RET?

Thork

Re: Falsification of RET
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:31:57 PM »
Moon walk is obvious. Apollo 11 never went beyond the Van Allen Radiation belt.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 09:05:36 PM »
(Funny that you should answer this question since you so quickly dismissed the same about FET, therefore demonstrating that your approach is not scientific).

I'm not sure whether the ability to go to the moon is a refutation of RET. If men never landed on the moon (and if you could prove it), I don't see how this would mean that the earth is not round. (It's a the same argument that Tintagel makes when he says that accurate eclipse prediction based on RET is not a proof that RET is true)

Could you elaborate a little bit?

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:09:35 PM »
Funny--Using a un-falsifiable conspiracy theory to attempt to falsify a valid theory. Don't conspiracy theory posts belong in FEG?
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 05:19:12 AM »
Round Earth Theory would be blown out of the water if...
If...
Uh...
Oh, I've got it!!
If Tom Bishop were to come down from heaven on his dinosaur of justice and burrow a hole down through the bedrock to the other side, and prove to those heathen commie globalises that the earth was, is and has always been... FLAT!!
and also populated by insane people
Proving the opposition wrong is not the same as proving yourself right

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 09:20:15 PM »
I up this post and ask again: to FEers, in your opinion, what is the strongest observation that refutes RET?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »
It all comes down to a matter of trust.

- The earth appears flat
- There are experiments conducted by different people which suggest that the earth is not convex
- The government says that the earth is round
- The government is known to lie for their own benefit
- The people conducting the convexity experiments are not known liars

Therefore, the only trustworthy evidence states that the earth is flat.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:50:52 PM »

OK

I've long suspected that FEers were only trolls with a bad sense of humor and way too much time to waste. This ridiculous answer is good evidence of that! I at least hope that I entertained you well by taking all my posts so seriously.
I guess my previous requests for you to refrain from breaking the rules were ineffective.

Please refrain from posting personal insults and/or off-topic posting in the upper fora. This kind of behaviour will not be tolerated here with the exception of Angry Ranting and Complete Nonsense, which you may peruse should you choose to try and insult us some more. Please familiarise yourself with the rules of this forum to avoid further incidents.

Consider this post a warning. After no less than one more warning, more severe action may be taken against you.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 01:37:33 AM »

- The earth appears flat
- There are experiments conducted by different people which suggest that the earth is not convex

The major flaw in this being that it is not exclusively the government that says the Earth is round. Faulty premises mean a faulty conclusion and so we can discard your argument.

As an aside, attempts have been made to find Rowbotham's records of academic accreditation to no avail, which is suspicious. Perhaps he lied about those to gain credibility?  It is known that PhDs were not awarded in Wngland until towards the end of Rowbotham's life.

We also know that Rowbotham's pit bull, Hampden, was found to be a liar in a court of law.

It appears that aspersions can be cast on the FE side as well. I prefer not to, since the scientific deficiencies in Rowbotham's experiments are well known, it is much more powerful to discredit him on those grounds.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 08:05:54 AM »

OK

I've long suspected that FEers were only trolls with a bad sense of humor and way too much time to waste. This ridiculous answer is good evidence of that! I at least hope that I entertained you well by taking all my posts so seriously.
I guess my previous requests for you to refrain from breaking the rules were ineffective.

Please refrain from posting personal insults and/or off-topic posting in the upper fora. This kind of behaviour will not be tolerated here with the exception of Angry Ranting and Complete Nonsense, which you may peruse should you choose to try and insult us some more. Please familiarise yourself with the rules of this forum to avoid further incidents.

Consider this post a warning. After no less than one more warning, more severe action may be taken against you.
Sorry, I really thought Tom made some kind of joke. I deleted my post.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »
The major flaw in this being that it is not exclusively the government that says the Earth is round.

Who else says that the earth is round to a degree that it can't be attributed to a mistake?

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 02:56:24 PM »
The major flaw in this being that it is not exclusively the government that says the Earth is round.

Who else says that the earth is round to a degree that it can't be attributed to a mistake?

I don't really trust you to answer this, since mistakes are always possible, no matter what field, or who is involved.  Care to use different or more specific criteria?

Offline Theorist

• Prove FE Wrong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »

- The earth appears flat

I pretty much agree with this myself.

My reasons are similar - there's more evidence to suggest Earth is flat than to suggest it is a ball.

Once you learn a lot about flat earth you can see it is "odd" or whatever to think it is a ball because it is nigh on impossible to actually demonstrate why that would be, thus it is flat.

If people can't handle that level of deception, I can understand that. It covers centuries and we're all born into it.

Rama Set

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 04:46:08 PM »

Once you learn a lot about flat earth you can see it is "odd" or whatever to think it is a ball because it is nigh on impossible to actually demonstrate why that would be, thus it is flat.

How do you discount all the other possible shapes?

Offline Theorist

• Prove FE Wrong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 05:22:57 PM »
Because you can only observe Earth as a flat plane. It takes more "mental gymnastics" to think it is round than to just think it is flat.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 05:25:52 PM by Theorist »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 05:30:49 PM »
Because you can only observe Earth as a flat plane. It takes more "mental gymnastics" to think it is round than to just think it is flat.
What kind of "mental gymnastics" are required to explain a sunset on a flat earth?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Theorist

• Prove FE Wrong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 05:35:58 PM »
What kind of "mental gymnastics" are required to explain a sunset on a flat earth?

There aren't any mental gymnastics required to think Earth is flat - that's what I am saying.

To think it is round (if we assume you weren't pre-programmed to think this) doesn't make as much sense to me as it does to assume it is flat based on general observations.

No one has proven things weigh slightly less at the equator, which could prove we are on a spinning ball but no one ever does it. I mean you could actually jump higher at the equator than you could at the North pole as well, but you can't hence there isn't any centrifugal force at play. Plus the fact that we "stick" to the Earth - the exact opposite of what would happen if gravity worked the way we are told.

Also all the planets would just get sucked into the sun anyway and never do. The round Earth model starts to sound pretty whacked out when you look into it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 05:52:29 PM »

There aren't any mental gymnastics required to think Earth is flat - that's what I am saying.

To think it is round (if we assume you weren't pre-programmed to think this) doesn't make as much sense to me as it does to assume it is flat based on general observations.

No one has proven things weigh slightly less at the equator, which could prove we are on a spinning ball but no one ever does it. I mean you could actually jump higher at the equator than you could at the North pole as well, but you can't hence there isn't any centrifugal force at play. Plus the fact that we "stick" to the Earth - the exact opposite of what would happen if gravity worked the way we are told.

Also all the planets would just get sucked into the sun anyway and never do. The round Earth model starts to sound pretty whacked out when you look into it.

It saddens me whenever I see someone use a Dubay argument on these forums. Gravity is a much better model than that and if you knew the basics then you'd know why we aren't falling into the sun in RET. I'm not saying that gravity is a real force, it's just that it has a much deeper and more complicated answer (which fails the occam's razor test) that rules out "falling into the Sun".

Gravity is probably the best Universal Acceleration alternative, and it's a really clever cop-out developed by RET to circumvent Universal Acceleration (which has been proven scientifically to be a real phenomenon).

Even Einstein himself has said that gravity is a "fake" force, and I think the fact that electrons and other similar particles don't have a gravitational field is solid evidence that gravity does not exist. Gravity affects 'everything' according to RET, yet it doesn't.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 05:54:41 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Theorist

• Prove FE Wrong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 06:20:40 PM »
I agree, it is a matter of scale.

For all we know the Earth is a petri dish sized experiment done by beings that see it all as a 3" wide disc and they could have thousands of them on the go, or millions even. Talk about nano-tech! This is organic nano-tech, ironically the exact thing humans are aiming for right now on Earth. Tech first, then nano-tech, then "organic nano-tech". In other words the actual creation of life (as we know it) but on a tiny scale.

Let's face it, if our scientists knew how to make a 3" wide replica of the Earth, perfect in every single way - they would be doing it. We are of course nowhere near that level of technology right now, despite what most people think.

Perhaps a year here passes in one day "up the scale". So for the beings creating us it would only be a year in their life to cover 1650 AD to 2015 AD. One month for us would be two hours for them and so on.

If we were created like that then there's no way in hell billions of years are passing by 1:1 to the beings that created us. What on earth would they set it up like that for, they wouldn't be able to observe Jack Schmiddley! To me this can only mean one thing, we are fricken tiny.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:27:20 PM by Theorist »

Rama Set

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 06:35:29 PM »
Einstein never said it was a "fake force". Who said electrons don't have a gravitational field?