GPS
« on: December 08, 2014, 06:19:11 PM »
Hello, I was just wondering if there is a theory on how my GPS could work if there are no sattelites to support the technology?

Ghost of V

Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:28:22 PM »
Sonar.

Sonar bounces off reflectors on weather balloons. This data is then processed and sent via cell towers. At least, that's my working theory.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:33:19 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 06:36:07 PM »
Radio signals from terrestrial transmitters can also precisely triangulate your position. 

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 06:54:45 PM »
Stratellites, or satellites within the atmosphere, function much in the same way satellites do in RET.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »
Hello, I was just wondering if there is a theory on how my GPS could work if there are no sattelites to support the technology?
There are satellites, just not at the altitudes most people think they are.  GPS works as advertised thanks to them.

Rama Set

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
That is what I am talking about.  4 posters, 4 answers and not a single caveat.

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 09:00:20 PM »
That is what I am talking about.

I'm confused, this is your first post in this thread.

4 posters, 4 answers and not a single caveat.

There are 4 separate yet equally plausible answers here.  ???

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 02:46:08 AM »
Stop talking about it, and just stay out of the thread. Ty.
God is real.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 10:11:19 AM »
What are you talking about? Spoon, Tintagel and Vauxy said basically the same thing.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
What are you talking about? Spoon, Tintagel and Vauxy said basically the same thing.

That's a fairly generous interpretation.

EDIT: Wanted to add a bit more since I posted in haste. I can concede that Spoon and Tintagel's responses are similar but to say that GPS operates using sonar is a radical shift the be sure. It is also eminently testable and would require GPS manufacturers as well as amateur tech enthusiasts who build their own GPS to be completely ignorant or in on itTM.

My original post was really made in the moment because within a short time of the OP being made 3 (or 4) different answers were posted, all phrased without a hint of uncertainty. It is that sort of phenomenon  that created the cliche of "FEers can't agree on a single model lol!" And I thought it was funny.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:58:37 PM by Rama Set »

Ghost of V

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »

EDIT: Wanted to add a bit more since I posted in haste. I can concede that Spoon and Tintagel's responses are similar but to say that GPS operates using sonar is a radical shift the be sure. It is also eminently testable and would require GPS manufacturers as well as amateur tech enthusiasts who build their own GPS to be completely ignorant or in on itTM.

My original post was really made in the moment because within a short time of the OP being made 3 (or 4) different answers were posted, all phrased without a hint of uncertainty. It is that sort of phenomenon  that created the cliche of "FEers can't agree on a single model lol!" And I thought it was funny.

You should know that FET is still evolving. We are discovering more and more everyday about the workings of the Flat Earth and the conspiracy behind it.

Are you trying to say that sonar can't be used for GPS? If so, please explain.

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 06:00:40 PM »

You should know that FET is still evolving. We are discovering more and more everyday about the workings of the Flat Earth and the conspiracy behind it.

I have no problem with competing theories but it strikes me as disingenuous when a theory that is still nascent is presented with the degree of confidence shown above.

Are you trying to say that sonar can't be used for GPS? If so, please explain.

I am not saying that it can't because I don't rightly know if it is possible or not. I meant what I said above: that using acoustic waves rather than EM waves is a radically different thing. It seems highly improbable, to the point of the idea being a non-starter, that no one in the world has noticed that they are using sonar rather than EM waves. If this is actually what you believe, you should endeavor to put a GPS receiver in a vacuum chamber and see if it still works.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 06:54:10 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LORAN

Most positioning systems admit they don't even connect to GPS satellites, and the ones that claim they do don't have latency consistent with an orbital device thousands of kilometers away.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »

Most positioning systems admit they don't even connect to GPS satellites, and the ones that claim they do don't have latency consistent with an orbital device thousands of kilometers away.
'admit'?  Millions of tablets and smart phones have GPS receivers and work exactly as specified.  This idea of using cell towers is rubbish because GPS works without mobile coverage.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »
'admit'?  Millions of tablets and smart phones have GPS receivers and work exactly as specified. This idea of using cell towers is rubbish because GPS works without mobile coverage.

The idea that the government pays for hundreds of satellites and allows anyone to freely connect to them for information data, and that these satellites have been in space since the 80's, is much more laughable than LORAN radio towers giving people location data.

If the government was so keen on providing useful free services, it seems like they'd pick something more interesting than just knowing where you are.

Ghost of V

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »

'admit'?  Millions of tablets and smart phones have GPS receivers and work exactly as specified.  This idea of using cell towers is rubbish because GPS works without mobile coverage.

Ever wonder why you can dial 911 from almost anywhere in the United States even without cellular signal?

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 10:05:47 PM »
'admit'?  Millions of tablets and smart phones have GPS receivers and work exactly as specified. This idea of using cell towers is rubbish because GPS works without mobile coverage.

The idea that the government pays for hundreds of satellites and allows anyone to freely connect to them for information data, and that these satellites have been in space since the 80's, is much more laughable than LORAN radio towers giving people location data.

If the government was so keen on providing useful free services, it seems like they'd pick something more interesting than just knowing where you are.
Who says there are hundreds of US GPS satellites?  Find out the main use.

Offline Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 10:24:37 PM »

GPS was and still is a military system that civilians are allowed to piggy back off of.
Scepti is the most eminent flat earth scientist of our generation, he's never even heard of you clowns.

Rama Set

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 10:34:37 PM »

Ever wonder why you can dial 911 from almost anywhere in the United States even without cellular signal?

You can within range of any networks cell tower but you must be within range of a cell tower.

Ghost of V

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »

You can within range of any networks cell tower but you must be within range of a cell tower.

Incorrect.

I'll expand. This is a common misconception. You can actually dial 911 and speak with the operator without a cell signal. However, you do need a cell signal for them to triangulate your position. GPS is irrelevant. They do it with cell towers. This is just one example of cell towers being used akin to GPS.

Don't believe me? See:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:50:35 PM by Vauxhall »