Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
PLEASE READ: An important appeal from FES admin Parsifal
« on: December 06, 2014, 06:12:57 AM »
This week marks the one-year anniversary of this forum. I just wanted to make an announcement as a sort of milestone, and also to say that I'm very proud of what we've been able to accomplish. I don't know about you guys, but this is the best online community I've ever been a part of, and I appreciate all of you who have helped to make that a reality, whether you've contributed to the website design, involved yourself in community discussions, or just been part of making this a great place by posting here.

That being said, some amount of what I had originally wanted to accomplish for this website has not transpired. Some of it turned out to be ideological dreaming, or simply overkill for a website this small, but others I still intend to work on. In the coming months, I'm hoping to make this place more robust than ever. Some changes that are in the works, or being considered, roughly in decreasing order of priority:

• Migrating FES services off my personal VPS and onto something pizaaplanet can better help to maintain in case of unexpected outages. Making this happen is a goal before I go exploring New Zealand in January, as I won't be around much in that time.
  • Setting up a monitoring server. This is something I keep talking about and not doing, and I'm hoping to change that. I want to be alerted if the website goes down, rather than happen to notice a few hours after the fact.
  • Tuning up the various bits of the site to make sure they continue to perform well as we continue to grow. We're making a start on that next week.
  • Testing our modifications to SMF on the recently released 2.1 beta version. This may not happen until February or so, but if anyone with epic design skillz wants to step up to port our theme to 2.1, please let me know.

And of course, the reunification conversation is still proceeding. We'll hopefully have something to bring to the community soon.

Finally, I'd like to remind and encourage everyone to create threads in S&C if you encounter bugs, or anything that frustrates you about this forum. I'd like to do what I can to make this the best community on the Internet for all of you, as it already is for me, but I can't fix problems I don't know about. Help me to help you.

Your friendly local sysadmin,
Parsifal.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 01:34:03 AM by pizaaplanet »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE READ: An important appeal from FES admin Parsifal
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 06:26:16 AM »
I'd like to thank the admins for all of their contributions and dedication in this past year. I consider this site a home.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Gayer

• I am a cunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 10:16:35 AM »
You've done a good job here, cheers for it.

Thork

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »
I was expecting a Jimmy Wales type plea for $3 for a cup of coffee there.

this website is well run, I have never felt the need to go back to the old one. You have done a very good job and you do it simply for everyone else's enjoyment. So, here's to you. May year two be every bit as good. :)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 03:33:28 PM »
We love you, Parsifal.

Ghost of V

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »
This is my most visited site on netscape. It's great. I love it.