Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Anime thread
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »
What I've encountered with dubs, especially in less popular titles, is that the voice actors, and more often actresses, often overplay it and intentionally puts on an exaggerated, almost cartoony voice, just because it's an animated title. Of course, this might happen in the original Japanese as well, but only with wonky and retarded comic relief characters.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2014, 05:15:35 PM »
Do any of you speak Japanese? If not, how are you qualified to judge Japanese voice acting?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2014, 05:29:46 PM »
Do any of you speak Japanese? If not, how are you qualified to judge Japanese voice acting?
Because the voices don't sound as stupid.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2014, 05:38:52 PM »
I think you'd have to be pretty culturally submerged with Japanese influences before you could judge whether a voice sounds stupid or not.

Ghost of V

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »
What Rushy said.

You're all just elitist scum.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »
I think you'd have to be pretty culturally submerged with Japanese influences before you could judge whether a voice sounds stupid or not.
I don't see why. It's just the sound of a voice. You can usually tell when one is being too goofy or cartoony without understanding what they're saying. Tone is what's important, not the language.
For example: Japanese bad guys generally sound kinda stupid. You can always tell a bad guy because he speaks low and deep and without a whole lot of inflection or emotion.

And I'm definitely not being elitist.. I really don't care if you like English voices better. But I do watch my fair share of foreign movies and subtitles have never bothered me one bit. I just genuinely enjoy hearing different languages as well. I'm not very good at learning them but they are an interest of mine.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:58:07 PM by rooster »

Ghost of V

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2014, 06:07:51 PM »
I don't see why. It's just the sound of a voice. You can usually tell when one is being too goofy or cartoony without understanding what they're saying. Tone is what's important, not the language.
For example: Japanese bad guys generally sound kinda stupid. You can always tell a bad guy because he speaks low and deep and without a whole lot of inflection or emotion.

And I'm definitely not being elitist.. I really don't care if you like English voices better. But I do watch my fair share of foreign movies and subtitles have never bothered me one bit. I just genuinely enjoy hearing different languages as well. I'm not very good at learning them but they are an interest of mine.

Tone? How can you understand the subtle nuances in the language used? You speak of inflection, but how can you really understand the pronunciation and inflection in someone's voice when you don't understand what they're saying?? Because they yell? Or talk low? Not understanding a language makes emotional context difficult.

Most people like subs because it came first and somehow that makes it better, or more authentic. But really... The order in which they were voiced doesn't change anything about an actor's performance or the general message of the work itself. Most dubbed shows that sound cartoony or kiddish also sound cartoony in the Japanese version, you just can't tell. It's all down to personal preference. It annoys me when people come along and take the "dubbed is inferior to subbed" stance without understanding Japanese. You have no idea what you're talking about, but at least you're cool because you watch subbed, right?

I understand preferring subbed to dubbed when there is heavy censorship in the dubbed version, but even that doesn't bother me so much. If you need to hear curse words in a language you don't understand to enjoy a show, then you're doing it wrong to begin with.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:28:19 PM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
The most important reason of all to avoid dubs is that the voice actors who provide dubbing tend to suck.  It kind of reminds me of the joke about Mexico not having a good Olympics team - if these guys were any good at their job, why would they still be doing dubs?

Ghost of V

« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
The most important reason of all to avoid dubs is that the voice actors who provide dubbing tend to suck.  It kind of reminds me of the joke about Mexico not having a good Olympics team - if these guys were any good at their job, why would they still be doing dubs?

That's one of many typical excuses given when asked why people prefer subs. Yet there are many examples that prove this to be incorrect. And there are many anime voice actors who also do voice acting in video games and other media, and many have large cult followings. Some of them are actually.. *gasps*... real actors.

How do you know the JP voice actor doesn't suck? Your "joke" honestly applies more to JP voice actors than English ones.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:54:20 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2014, 06:57:04 PM »
Japanese voice actors (seiyuu) are not the same as western voice actors, it's a different tradition. Unlike much modern western acting it doesn't attempt to be realistic, it's more theatrical, like a Shakespeare play. That's why weeaboos who learn Japanese with the help of anime tend to get laughed at by actual Japanese people, it's almost totally alien to everyday Japanese speech.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »

Tone? How can you understand the subtle nuances in the language used? You speak of inflection, but how can you really understand the pronunciation and inflection in someone's voice when you don't understand what they're saying?? Because they yell? Or talk low? Not understanding a language makes emotional context difficult.

Most people like subs because it came first and somehow that makes it better, or more authentic. But really... The order in which they were voiced doesn't change anything about an actor's performance or the general message of the work itself. Most dubbed shows that sound cartoony or kiddish also sound cartoony in the Japanese version, you just can't tell. It's all down to personal preference. It annoys me when people come along and take the "dubbed is inferior to subbed" stance without understanding Japanese. You have no idea what you're talking about, but at least you're cool because you watch subbed, right?

I understand preferring subbed to dubbed when there is heavy censorship in the dubbed version, but even that doesn't bother me so much. If you need to hear curse words in a language you don't understand to enjoy a show, then you're doing it wrong to begin with.
A lot of the voice actors for dubbing are the same recycled people. And *gasp* some of those people have voices I can't stand.

Some stuff is done really well. Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop are good examples, but the bad examples outweigh the good ones.

And it's not just censorship, the dialogue can be very different with a dub. They try and make the voices match the mouth so a lot gets re-arranged or cut altogether.

I don't see how watching it subbed makes me cool. It's just how I prefer it cause I hate the way English sounds with a Japanese cartoon. I'm sorry this makes you feel so insecure.

Ghost of V

« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2014, 07:20:08 PM »
A lot of the voice actors for dubbing are the same recycled people. And *gasp* some of those people have voices I can't stand.

Personal preference, then.

And the recycled bit applies to Japanese voice acting as well. There are many recycled JP voice actors in anime.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2014, 07:34:46 PM »

Literally Sherlock Holmes. You managed to deduce that it's personal preference from her telling you about her personal preference on this issue
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »

That's what I was saying ALL ALONG.
Preferring to hear one voice over another is a subjective matter. Thinking a voice sucks IS A SUBJECTIVE MATTER.

Stop being so stupid.

And the recycled bit applies to Japanese voice acting as well. There are many recycled JP voice actors in anime.
Yeah, I just can't tell because I can't relate to them.

Literally Sherlock Holmes. You managed to deduce that it's personal preference from her telling you about her personal preference on this issue
Fucking right?

Ghost of V

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2014, 07:36:50 PM »
No. I mentioned personal preference in an earlier post. Learn 2 read. Both of you.

Arguments being made here make it seem like subbed is better than dubbed, but it comes down to personal preference and in actuality dubbed is better than subbed regardless due to immersion. So you're all wrong and I'm right. Get over it.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2014, 07:40:13 PM »
k
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2014, 07:41:06 PM »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2014, 07:44:01 PM »
Dubs are objectively better than subs. Dubs engage both sight and sound, while subs only engage sight.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2014, 07:45:35 PM »
smh

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »
No. I mentioned personal preference in an earlier post. Learn 2 read. Both of you.

Arguments being made here make it seem like subbed is better than dubbed, but it comes down to personal preference and in actuality dubbed is better than subbed regardless due to immersion. So you're all wrong and I'm right. Get over it.
retart

Dubs are objectively better than subs. Dubs engage both sight and sound, while subs only engage sight.
Nah, you can still hear Japanese voices- which happen to be human voices- which happen to carry emotion. Unless you're deaf, it's still engaging.