Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Australian anti-terrorism laws
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »
Just throwing the examples out there.

Who here loves the concepts of RFID implants and GPS monitoring of vehicles too?
Me.  I like knowing where my car is.  Hence why I'll get OnStar if I can.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 07:26:37 PM »
Nice to see my political equivalents in Aus are fighting this.

Labor have been hit and miss lately. With much of the crazy shit the LNP introduced in the budget, Greens and Labor have been voting against them, but sometimes (as with the carbon pricing scheme) it's not enough as the LNP hold quite a few seats and only need a few independents/bogan party members to vote with them.

Unfortunately Labor voted for these terror laws, which effectively means they're passed. The Greens are the only ones with some power still fighting things like that. They're the only party with seats in the senate whose members can spell 'internet'.

Here's a few choice quotes that I feel reflect the position of each party fairly well:

DAVID LEYONHJELM, LIBERAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY SENATOR: The case for the bill has not been made.

GLENN LAZARUS (Bogan Party): The internet poses one of the greatest threats to our existence.

SCOTT LUDLAM, GREENS SENATOR: Obstinate silence. Misinformation. Bluster and procedural abuse. This is how our freedoms are being deleted, line by line, by those whose recklessness is only exceeded by their mediocrity.

NICK XENOPHON, INDEPENDENT SENATOR: Some parts of the legislation have gone too far without adequate safeguards.

TONY ABBOTT: Regrettably, for some time to come, the delicate balance between freedom and security may have to shift.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:37:28 PM by Vindictus »

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »
Stephen joins sex parties when he's angry
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 07:15:42 AM »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »
Why would you cover up your entire body? There is no reason to do so unless you are hiding shotguns and bombs.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 08:24:26 PM »
It's true. This is clearly a reasonable precaution and not poorly excused blatant racism.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sword-removed-in-counterterrorism-raids-a-common-plastic-decoration-owner-reveals-20141007-10r7nj.html

I'm absolutely terrified of these plastic-wielding gamers. Save us, ASIO! Protect us from religious decorations!
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 04:48:45 PM »
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sword-removed-in-counterterrorism-raids-a-common-plastic-decoration-owner-reveals-20141007-10r7nj.html

I'm absolutely terrified of these plastic-wielding gamers. Save us, ASIO! Protect us from religious decorations!
Have you not heard of plastic guns being printed on 3D printers?  Just imagine if a Call of Duty tween got a hold of a 3D printer?  He's be spraying bullets with extreme accuracy while teabagging his victims and screaming obscenities he doesn't understand.  Is that what you want?!
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »
I had no idea you could make guns with a 3D printer.

I'm adding 3D printer to my wishlist.

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 07:07:46 PM »
The whole event turned out to be stupid when it was found that they raided a Shi'ite muslim house for suspicion of working with ISIS, who are a Sunni extremist sect. The organisation who ok'd that raid now have more powers ::)

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 08:20:58 PM »
I had no idea you could make guns with a 3D printer.

I'm adding 3D printer to my wishlist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printed_firearms
Plans for a 3d printed BFG are still in the works.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 01:47:53 AM »
You can't 3D print an entire gun out of plastic. A lot of people are 3D printing lowers and various accessories, but the upper parts, such as the chamber, barrel, and slide must be machined out of metal.

Furthermore, the machinery required for creating a gun has been readily available to everyone (for a price) for longer than anyone on this forum has been alive. Making a gun is not rocket science and requires only an intermediate level of knowledge to create a working semi-auto. Whether the gun is actually good or not is another question.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 01:54:43 AM »
You can't 3D print an entire gun out of plastic. A lot of people are 3D printing lowers and various accessories, but the upper parts, such as the chamber, barrel, and slide must be machined out of metal.
Incorrect.
https://www.solidconcepts.com/news-releases/worlds-first-3d-printed-metal-gun-manufactured-solid-concepts/

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 01:55:07 AM »

Furthermore, the machinery required for creating a gun has been readily available to everyone (for a price) for longer than anyone on this forum has been alive. Making a gun is not rocket science and requires only an intermediate level of knowledge to create a working semi-auto. Whether the gun is actually good or not is another question.
Not according to this.
www.wired.com/2014/05/3d-printed-guns/

Imura assembles the handgun from plastic 3-D printed pieces, a few metal pins, screws and rubber bands, then test fires it with blanks.
Pins and screws, not barrel and chamber.  But your point is made, for now.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 01:57:17 AM »

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 01:57:32 AM »
>plastic

beaten to the punch

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 02:05:15 AM »
You can't 3D print an entire gun out of plastic.

Better up the prescription on those glasses, Markjo.

Perhaps your memory is failing worse than my eyesight.
...but the upper parts, such as the chamber, barrel, and slide must be machined out of metal.

Also:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:07:45 AM by markjo »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 02:10:36 AM »
>one of the guns exploded while firing.

Okay, markjo. I guess I didn't think I'd need to specify the metal is needed for the gun to actually kill other people.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 02:15:00 AM »

Okay, markjo. I guess I didn't think I'd need to specify the metal is needed for the gun to actually kill other people.
You're new here, aren't you?  Besides, I've already shown that the metal parts of a gun can be printed, so the "all plastic" argument is irrelevant.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 02:21:31 AM »

And?
Just means stronger plastics are required.