Offline dbamember

• it ain't over 'till it's over...
    • View Profile
James Webb telescope launches!
« on: December 27, 2021, 11:24:16 AM »
The James Webb telescope has finally been launched.
It will dramatically increase our knowledge of the universe and it’s history.
It’s been a long time coming. Congrats to NASA and the worldwide team working in this project, including
the Arianne folks in France who built the launch vehicle. Bon Chance, James Webb!

Online AATW

• View Profile
Re: James Webb telescope launches!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 08:01:43 PM »
Good video here showing some observations made when it launched and how they are explained by a rotating globe earth

It’s a bit technical but there’s a good animation which explains the observations pretty clearly.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline scomato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 08:38:35 PM »
First image back from the alignment test, taken in near-infrared on a star 100 times fainter than the human eye can see. The galaxies in the background!

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-webb-reaches-alignment-milestone-optics-working-successfully

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 09:22:02 PM »
I'm really excited about this.  :o
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 09:25:53 PM »
Me too. I think those elongated bright spots are actually galaxies.

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 09:31:30 PM »
Yea I almost ignored them until I looked again..  so subtle.
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 09:39:05 PM »
Its very impressive.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 10:04:03 PM »
Good video here showing some observations made when it launched and how they are explained by a rotating globe earth

It’s a bit technical but there’s a good animation which explains the observations pretty clearly.

Not surprising you would believe this. At the beginning of the final animation which supposedly "shows" how it works from the satellite's view, it is stated that it is based on the epheremedes and orbital elements shown at the start of the video, which he assumes is based on orbital mechanics, rather than being meaningless like the Ancient Babylonian epheremedes for the planets, which was capable of accurate prediction long before orbital mechanics was dreamt of.

At the beginning of that video says that he got the epheremedes from his previous video. In the description of that previous video it references an online calculator. In both this second video and in the first video he shows us a screen with blue links like "Find orb", indicating that he's just using a calculator he found on the internet and didn't actually compute it himself:

This is a load of fallacies and assumptions which merely assumes that the math is correct and meaningful without any sort of real verification, and does not actually explain anything.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 10:11:11 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 10:11:09 PM »

Not surprising you would believe this. In the final animation which supposedly "shows" how it works from the satellite's view, it is stated that it is based on the epheremedes and orbital elements shown at the start of the video, which he assumes is based on orbital mechanics, rather than being meaningless like the Ancient Babylonian epheremedes for the planets, which was capable of accurate prediction long before orbital mechanics was dreamt of.

At the beginning of that video says that he got the epheremedes from his previous video. In the description of that video it references an online calculator. In both this second video and the first video he shows us a screen with blue links like "Find orb", indicating that he's just using a calculator he found on the internet and didn't actually compute it himself:

This is a load of fallacies and assumptions which just assumes that the math is correct and meaningful without any sort of real verification, and does not actually explain anything.

What's the point you are trying to make? That the video timelapse he presents of the path of JWST he captured is based on Babylonian ephemerides and not the orbital mechanics calculator he used?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 10:21:56 PM »
It's a video guy mumbling that he sees a satellite making zig-zags in the sky, that he looked at an online calculator and got sky coordinates that make zig-zags, and then when he puts those coordinates into a 3D program from the satellite's view it makes the earth zig-zag, with an overlay of the ground view sky zig-zag that seems to match, while essentially proclaiming "Seee!!!".

Utterly daft.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 10:23:07 PM »
It's a guy mumbling that he sees a satellite making zig-zags in the sky, that he looked at an online calculator and got sky coordinates that make zig-zags, and then when he puts those coordinates into a 3D program from the satellite's view it makes the earth zig-zag, with an overlay of the ground view sky zig-zag that seems to match while proclaiming "Seee!!!".

Utterly daft.

So you have a problem with the explanation as to why JWST was zig-zagging, not the fact that he (and others) show JWST flying through space?

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 11:32:37 PM »
It's a guy mumbling that he sees a satellite making zig-zags in the sky, that he looked at an online calculator and got sky coordinates that make zig-zags, and then when he puts those coordinates into a 3D program from the satellite's view it makes the earth zig-zag, with an overlay of the ground view sky zig-zag that seems to match while proclaiming "Seee!!!".

Utterly daft.

So you have a problem with the explanation as to why JWST was zig-zagging, not the fact that he (and others) show JWST flying through space?
I think he's just trolling about stuff he doesn't understand, it's kinda his thing. Not worth engaging with.
As for this thread, it is an exciting piece of kit. Hubble has given us a load of amazing images down the years, from what I've read this one is orders of magnitude more powerful so we should get some really spectacular stuff from it.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 01:29:09 AM »
An absolutely elated astrophysicist talking about the latest image from JWST. Her enthusiasm is infectious.

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2022, 09:14:16 AM »
I think he's just trolling about stuff he doesn't understand, it's kinda his thing. Not worth engaging with.
As for this thread, it is an exciting piece of kit. Hubble has given us a load of amazing images down the years, from what I've read this one is orders of magnitude more powerful so we should get some really spectacular stuff from it.
Yea really exciting stuff.   Here is a page comparing Hubble and JWST, not just much better images but from further back in time so amazing discoveries are likely coming.  https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/comparisonWebbVsHubble.html .   In addition to the difference described another is that the electronics on JWST are a good 30 years newer than Hubble (so faster, more capable, higher resolutions etc).  It's glorious.  The complexities involved with it just "unpacking" itself were incredible and all worked flawlessly.  What an achievement.
The contents of the GPS NAV message is the time of transmission and the orbital location of the transmitter at that time. If the transmitters are not where they claim to be GPS would not work.  Since it does work the transmitters must in fact be in orbit, which means the earth is round.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2022, 01:16:10 AM »
Indeed after 3 months I'm finally able to start the process of unclenching my butt cheeks.

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2022, 02:39:53 AM »
i can't get excited until the first science-quality images come back.

i'm not superstitious, but i am a little stitious.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2022, 10:58:25 AM »
I was convinced it was going to be a massive failure and something was going to go wrong.  Launch failure, failure to get into the right orbit, and most likely failure to deeply the sun shield or unfold all the mirror parts.

It was almost unreal how smoothly things went, and I'm finally starting to relax as well and looking forward to all the pictures and science that will be coming out of this.

Takes me back to the Hubble launch, but better as it seems like they didn't screw up the primary mirrors this time. :D

Online AATW

• View Profile

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 07:14:54 PM »
It IS!  Its fucking amazing.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2022, 09:05:01 PM »
That’s a wild jump in resolution.