Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: President Joe Biden
« Reply #500 on: December 11, 2021, 08:17:28 AM »
I miss Paul Ryan.
At least he had integrity.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 11, 2021, 07:44:13 PM »
I miss Paul Ryan.
LOL! Define integrity please, as I don't think you actually know what the word means.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 11, 2021, 07:54:46 PM »
I miss Paul Ryan.
LOL! Define integrity please, as I don't think you actually know what the word means.
You hold principals that are for the betterment of your society and do not change your views based on personal hardship or reward but rather new evidence or understanding.

An example of a lack of integrity: Thinking North Korea's ruler is evil until they send you a big card with nice words on it, then saying they are such a great leader.

An example of great integrity: Stepping down as house speaker when your party has decided to use fear mongering, which you are against.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 11, 2021, 11:44:03 PM »
Oh, please. Ryan retired from politics because he didn't want to risk tarnishing his career by either associating too closely with Trump or making an enemy of him. Like any good Objectivist, Ryan's first priority was his own bottom line, and that's why he figured he'd be better off avoiding controversy altogether and enriching himself in the private sector instead.

And if I sound too scornful, I should stress that that's fine. If private companies think it's a good use of their money to offer Ryan a huge salary in exchange for the honor of officially listing him as a member of their board of directors, more power to him for the easy gig. But it wasn't an act of courage or integrity to retire from politics and quietly farm out his name to the highest bidder. It was an act of pure self-interest.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 12, 2021, 05:46:03 AM »
I think Ted Cruz would be a better choice for Republicans.

but ted cruz is fat and has a beard

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 12, 2021, 07:36:22 AM »
I miss Paul Ryan.
You hold principals that are for the betterment of your society and do not change your views based on personal hardship or reward but rather new evidence or understanding.

An example of a lack of integrity: Thinking North Korea's ruler is evil until they send you a big card with nice words on it, then saying they are such a great leader.

An example of great integrity: Stepping down as house speaker when your party has decided to use fear mongering, which you are against.
Oh yes, Paul Ryan, the anti-fear mongering guy who pushed for our continued war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sorry, I must've overlooked his decided push to bring our troops home.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 12, 2021, 09:11:17 AM »
Oh, please. Ryan retired from politics because he didn't want to risk tarnishing his career by either associating too closely with Trump or making an enemy of him. Like any good Objectivist, Ryan's first priority was his own bottom line, and that's why he figured he'd be better off avoiding controversy altogether and enriching himself in the private sector instead.

And if I sound too scornful, I should stress that that's fine. If private companies think it's a good use of their money to offer Ryan a huge salary in exchange for the honor of officially listing him as a member of their board of directors, more power to him for the easy gig. But it wasn't an act of courage or integrity to retire from politics and quietly farm out his name to the highest bidder. It was an act of pure self-interest.

Huh.  Didn't know he went with some easy board gig.  Didn't know what he did.
All I remember is that he didn't sling mud.  He fought and argued, but was never one for petty insults or fear mongering.

Maybe I just have rose tinted glasses.

« Reply #507 on: December 13, 2021, 05:48:32 AM »

Former President Donald Trump ended his presidency more unpopular than any of the last 12 presidents at
the end of their first terms and he is still unpopular post-presidency according to FiveThirtyEight’s new average
of Trump’s favourability numbers. Currently, 41.4% of Americans have a favourable opinion of Trump, while
53% have an unfavourable opinion of him.

A November poll from Suffolk University reports that 11% say they would vote for a third-party candidate, which
is a worry for both the Republicans and the Democrats, as swinging voters often confound the pre-election polls.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 13, 2021, 06:09:05 PM »

Former President Donald Trump ended his presidency more unpopular than any of the last 12 presidents at
the end of their first terms and he is still unpopular post-presidency according to FiveThirtyEight’s new average
of Trump’s favourability numbers. Currently, 41.4% of Americans have a favourable opinion of Trump, while
53% have an unfavourable opinion of him.

A November poll from Suffolk University reports that 11% say they would vote for a third-party candidate, which
is a worry for both the Republicans and the Democrats, as swinging voters often confound the pre-election polls.

Wouldn't this post be more at home in the Donald Trump thread? Or were you hoping for someone to point out to you how sharply Biden's own popularity has slid since he became president?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/

Numbers don't look too different tbh
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 06:13:35 PM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 13, 2021, 06:32:55 PM »
And that's why Trump has an excellent chance of winning in 2024. Too many voters will just focus on how bad things are now and forget how much worse they were under Trump. Biden's only real hope of winning is if he actually manages to more or less wrap up the whole covid situation - something that seems astonishingly unlikely at this stage.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 13, 2021, 06:34:06 PM »
Too many voters will just focus on how bad things are now and forget how much worse they were under Trump.

Were things worse under Trump?

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 13, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »
Too many voters will just focus on how bad things are now and forget how much worse they were under Trump.

Depends upon who you ask.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 13, 2021, 07:29:05 PM »

Depends upon who you ask.

We also had staff members using distractions, outright lies, or just waiting til he forgot to ensure America didn't implode.
I suspect Trump was running less of the country than Regan did in his last year.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 17, 2021, 01:22:06 AM »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 17, 2021, 04:50:48 AM »

Good question.

It is! Because obviously the only people these people ever come into contact with are other players, duh!
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 17, 2021, 04:54:22 AM »
Perhaps waning vaccine efficacy, waning prior infection antibody efficacy, Delta/Omnicron, loosened protocols, a less than optimal vax rate among the general population, Thanksgiving.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 17, 2021, 06:15:20 AM »
That's not the question to ask.
As we all know, the vaccine doesn't prevent you from catching covid, it just makes it quicker to end and much milder symptoms. 

The question is... Of these players, how many had to be hospitalized?  How many died?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 18, 2021, 02:37:09 PM »
As we all know, the vaccine doesn't prevent you from catching covid, it just makes it quicker to end and much milder symptoms. 

The question is... Of these players, how many had to be hospitalized?  How many died?
Right.
I don’t understand the obsession with “cases”. The relevant metric is surely how many people are ending up in hospital or dying. Cases are through the roof in the UK but so far that hasn’t translated in to hospitalisations or deaths. There is a lag though do that may follow. Hopefully with the vaccines and boosters it won’t.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Rama Set

« Reply #518 on: December 18, 2021, 05:35:38 PM »

Right.
I don’t understand the obsession with “cases”. The relevant metric is surely how many people are ending up in hospital or dying. Cases are through the roof in the UK but so far that hasn’t translated in to hospitalisations or deaths. There is a lag though do that may follow. Hopefully with the vaccines and boosters it won’t.

Both metrics are relevant. If you have 1,000 cases with a 5% hospitalization rate it’s the same as 5,000 cases with a 1% hospitalization rate.

« Reply #519 on: December 18, 2021, 06:20:22 PM »
silly tweet

if you have to lie to make your point, maybe it isn't a very good one.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/packers-are-healthy-while-covid-rate-soars-across-nfl

After relatively smooth sailing through training camps in August and the first three months of the season, 106 players have tested positive the past three days. That’s more than over the previous four weeks combined (87) and not far off the six-week total (121).

there are 53 players on each nfl roster, and there are 32 teams. that's 1696 players total. 106/1696 ≈ 0.06 = 6%.

wow, 6%. so overwhelming. the nfl will probably have to close up shop now. it's such a shame that those players haven't taken some kind of miracle drug that will virtually eliminate their chances of being hospitalized. too bad.

While COVID vaccines have proven durable in terms of preventing serious illness and death, they have not fared as well in preventing infections. The vast majority of players, coaches and staff members are vaccinated. Many of this wave of infections are breakthrough cases in which the players are asymptomatic.

“Just out of breath going up the stairs but that’s every week. I had nothing, really, which was nice,” Packers tight ends coach Justin Outten, who is back after missing Sunday night’s win vs. Chicago, said on Thursday.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 06:54:22 PM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.