Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Half-Life: Alyx. Thoughts?
« on: November 26, 2019, 08:25:08 PM »
Is it cool?  Yes.
Do I want it?  Yes.
Will I get it?  No.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Half-Life: Alyx. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 08:36:30 PM »
I've been mildly curious about VR games for a while, but I'm also notoriously a late adopter. I have the PlayStation 4 VR headset, which I understand is fairly mediocre compared to what's out there (plus I only ever use it for Tetris like the autist I am). Now that my income is on the upswing, I might bite the bullet and get a decent setup to try HL:Alyx a try.

Or I might say I'll do it and then postpone it for years until the fad dies.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:25:11 AM »
I've been mildly curious about VR games for a while, but I'm also notoriously a late adopter. I have the PlayStation 4 VR headset, which I understand is fairly mediocre compared to what's out there (plus I only ever use it for Tetris like the autist I am). Now that my income is on the upswing, I might bite the bullet and get a decent setup to try HL:Alyx a try.

Or I might say I'll do it and then postpone it for years until the fad dies.
If you do get a decent headset go for the Valve Index. You'll get HL:Alyx free with it as well. I wish I'd waited for the Index to arrive but I couldn't help myself and got the Vive Pro Eye, no regrets though it's pretty good. I also have the PSVR (with a ps4 pro) to compare and the difference is pretty big. No light bleed from the vive, the screen is considerably less blurry and the tracking is just a ton better than the move controllers. Beatsaber has mods on pc as well (not going to lie that was the main reason for getting a pc headset). The valve mostly matches the Vive Pro but has some new features and wider FOV and a cheaper pricetag. psvr is the best low end introductory headset though (god forbid anyone uses their phones for VR then thinks thats how good it is).

I don't think VR is going anywhere any time soon, the tech is just getting better and better and the experience is more immersive than anything else already. It's a shame most games aren't really games though so much as short 'experiences'. Hopefully the big budget of HL:Alyx will change that, it looks pretty good.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning almost no games at all have the eye tracking functionality so unless you plan on messing with the dev side of things the vive pro eye is not worth it, the pro will do just fine.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 12:27:49 AM by ChrisTP »
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 02:02:43 AM »

First look at gameplay. Both teleport and thumbstick walking are available. Puzzles look okay, physics is about the same you'd see in HL2. Other gameplay videos show Valve has taken to heart the act of having a narrator follow you around making 'hilarious' quips. Overall, looks and sounds like it's going to be the AAA experience that Valve promised.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 05:09:00 AM »
It looks like a Nintendo 64 experience.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 06:08:00 AM »
Here's Valve's series of gameplay videos, that show the game off with some smooth locomotion and no commentary.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »
I hope the 5 people who owns a VR headset will enjoy it.
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 05:00:47 PM »
I hope the 5 people who owns a VR headset will enjoy it.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 11:56:38 PM »
I had the chance to play the first couple hours worth of the game and it really is pretty great (though I'm easily amused and spent too long in the first section drawing on a window with a pen). Would recommend as a #1 VR game to get. That and beatsaber... Because everyone lights sabers and beats.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 11:40:23 AM »
Welp, I did predict I would postpone this. It's a shame I didn't predict the meme plague being the cause, or I could have made a tidy fortune.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume