Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: First Look at Ben Affleck's Batman
« Reply #240 on: July 13, 2015, 06:01:44 AM »
It's almost as if people who doesn't know won't be watching the film.
The Mastery.

Rama Set

« Reply #241 on: July 13, 2015, 04:52:06 PM »
More awful parenting from the Kents!
Kent**
And what did she say that came off as bad parenting?
The Waynes being murdered, because apparently every new continuity of Batman needs to show that at least once!
Yeah, this is the only thing I will agree with. We know how his parents died already!

Although it's possible that there are non-expository reasons the death or Bruce's parents are shown, it is unlikely. More annoying, to me, is that they re-shot the event instead of re-using a perfectly good sequence from Batman Begins. I thought this was all the same continuum?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 13, 2015, 05:25:30 PM »
It's not. Man of Steel was the first film in this series.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #243 on: July 13, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »
Not just the courtroom scene, but the fact that a large source of the film's conflict seems to be Superman's role in the chaos of the last one.

but you think it is a logical consequence of the action of MoS. why won't your grant that ZS came to the same conclusion?  Christopher Nolan is lurking nearby and he is also fairly smart. I feel like you are getting wound up in your own bias against this franchise.

Because if Snyder had always intended the climax of MoS to be so controversial and objectionable, I don't believe that he would have left the subject entirely unaddressed before the movie was over.  You don't deliberately send the audience home on a bad note with a promise that you'll clear everything up with a sequel in a few years.  I think it's much more likely that Snyder just wanted a cool, action-packed climax that showed off all sorts of awesome effects of dudes punching each other through buildings and leveling a major city, and Superman doing less cool things like trying to limit the damage or protect innocent people simply didn't figure into his vision.  It wouldn't be the first time that he got carried away with effects at the expense of the story.

Of course he is. Saddam needs things to hate on in order to live. It's his fuel.

I don't hate.  I brood, in a very powerful, Wagnerian fashion.

Kent**
And what did she say that came off as bad parenting?

I said Kents, plural, to lump her in with Jonathan from the first movie.  I was referring to her "You don't owe them anything!" line, which sounds all wrong coming out of her mouth.  But that's really just a nitpick.  For all I know, in context she'll just be trying to make a point or something.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 13, 2015, 06:19:44 PM »
This movie appears to be based on the comic mini-series The Dark Knight Returns, which shares an animated film of the same name. The suit Batman uses to fight Superman, the human factions aligning themselves with super heroes, are all the same.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 13, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »
This movie also seems to be sharing the Dark Knight Returns's custom Batman logo:

The suit is essentially the same. From The Dark Knight Returns animation:

Concept art for this movie:

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 13, 2015, 06:53:57 PM »
At one point, Batman and his followers are forced to ride horses because a Nuclear Warhead detonated in space causing an EMP, affecting the entire Western Hemisphere.

and, lo and behold, from the movie trailer we find a scene with horses:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:07:37 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2015, 07:01:40 PM »
w0w tripple postan
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2015, 07:03:29 PM »
I was referring to her "You don't owe them anything!" line, which sounds all wrong coming out of her mouth.  But that's really just a nitpick.  For all I know, in context she'll just be trying to make a point or something.
If everyone was conflicted over my son, wanted to harm him, and it was grieving him- I'd say the same thing. He doesn't owe them anything. I wouldn't want my son getting killed just to prove that he's not some evil alien.

Rama Set

« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2015, 07:44:20 PM »
Not just the courtroom scene, but the fact that a large source of the film's conflict seems to be Superman's role in the chaos of the last one.

but you think it is a logical consequence of the action of MoS. why won't your grant that ZS came to the same conclusion?  Christopher Nolan is lurking nearby and he is also fairly smart. I feel like you are getting wound up in your own bias against this franchise.

Because if Snyder had always intended the climax of MoS to be so controversial and objectionable, I don't believe that he would have left the subject entirely unaddressed before the movie was over. 

It's fine if you don't believe it but that does not make it true.

You don't deliberately send the audience home on a bad note with a promise that you'll clear everything up with a sequel in a few years.

The movie generally received positive reviews so this "bad note" business is your own baggage.   

I think it's much more likely that Snyder just wanted a cool, action-packed climax that showed off all sorts of awesome effects of dudes punching each other through buildings and leveling a major city, and Superman doing less cool things like trying to limit the damage or protect innocent people simply didn't figure into his vision.  It wouldn't be the first time that he got carried away with effects at the expense of the story.

I think it is much more likely that Snyder did not write the film and did not have final cut approval which would mean that the ending was not ultimately his choice. Considering that film's often leave plot and thematic points unresolved for pending sequel, it actually seems likely that that would be saved for a future movie. Especially if there was enough material to fill an entire act more or less of a film.

P.S. I watched MoS again this week. It is still good.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:05:51 AM by Rama Set »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #250 on: July 14, 2015, 12:53:20 AM »
I will respond to your OBJECTIVELY WRONG (>o<) opinions later.  WB has officially released the trailer for Suicide Squad after a potato-cam version of it was leaked.  Here it is:

Discuss.

Rama Set

« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2015, 01:10:09 AM »
I will respond to your OBJECTIVELY WRONG (>o<) opinions later.  WB has officially released the trailer for Suicide Squad after a potato-cam version of it was leaked.  Here it is:

Discuss.

Harlequin looks like fun. Will Smith looks way too like able. Isn't Joker dead?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2015, 01:56:15 AM »
I think Joker looks a little overdone, but it seems like Leto will do it well. That laugh and the way he talks creeps me out a bit. Ledger never creeped me out.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #253 on: July 14, 2015, 03:06:57 AM »
But those tattoos, and the metal teeth...why?

Rama Set

« Reply #254 on: July 14, 2015, 03:49:41 AM »
But those tattoos, and the metal teeth...why?

Yeah I mean who has tattoos these days?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 14, 2015, 05:31:32 AM »
Harlequin looks like fun.
No she looks like shit. Just like her Mr. J.

I'm not stoked for this film.
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 14, 2015, 05:35:19 AM »
Harlequin looks like fun.
No she looks like shit. Just like her Mr. J.

I'm not stoked for this film.

You just hate fun.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2015, 05:56:41 AM »
I'm not saying I won't watch it or like it. I'm just not excited for it.

Regarding Harley. From what's shown here, her personality is completely wrong. She should be giddy and smiling all the time, and her get-up here looks fucking trashy. She never wore crap like this in other media. There's been enough said about Joker already, so no need to get into that.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2015, 07:14:14 AM »
I like Ledger's Joker, he comes across as a legitimately disturbed person, Leto looks like a gay cosplayer acting out a BDSM fantasy. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Nicholson will always be the best live action Joker

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2015, 03:07:28 PM »
I like Ledger's Joker, he comes across as a legitimately disturbed person,
He did, but I don't think he was nearly disturbed enough. I've met homeless people that were more deranged than he was. He was a bitter, angry, psychopath.
Leto looks like a gay cosplayer acting out a BDSM fantasy.
I'm not sure you know cosplayers very well. They're weird, but they're all super friendly and hardly stay in character.
He seems unpredictable and manic.  Ledger was missing the intense mania (I mean, he hardly ever smiled) which is what makes the Joker.

I think Leto is the most interesting part of that trailer.

By the way, this is the best Joker cosplayer.