newhorizons

Distance/Size of Earth and Moon
« on: August 02, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »
The sun is a rotating sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the Earth

The Moon is a sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth. It is thought to be spherical due to a slight rocking back and fourth over its monthly cycle called Lunar Liberation, where more than 50% of the lunar surface can be seen over time.

Both direct quotes from FE Wiki Cosmos chapter.  As far as I can tell these are both just statements or claims. There is no published evidence included to back either of these claims up so have you got any or not?

I agree with the statement about lunar libration. I note the FW Wiki describes it as liberation. I don't know of anyone ever seizing the Moon so there is no need to liberate it!  However taking into account lunar libration you can see up to 60% of the lunar surface from Earth.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 03:52:51 PM by newhorizons »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Distance/Size of Earth and Moon
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 04:45:57 PM »
Some of the information is from the pre-internet Flat Earth Movement done under straight line trigonometry and is held as an informal number. For a background see: https://wiki.tfes.org/Distance_to_the_Sun

Work needs to be done by the modern society before it can be updated. EAT is becoming a popular astronomical model. Building off of Voliva's 3000 miles distance for the sun at 45 degrees in the sky via straight line trigonometry, and assuming that the sun moves in the sky at around a constant pace (although I've heard that it moves slightly quicker at zenith), my own initial estimation would be that under the schema of EAT at 90 degrees zenith the Sun would be somewhere about 6000 miles in height; although this is assuming that the area of illumination is linearly related to its distance in the sky. EAT proponents can give their own ideas.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 07:54:50 PM by Tom Bishop »

newhorizons

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 05:18:35 PM »
So this 3000 mile distance is based entirely on the unproven pre-assertion that the Earths surface is flat.  What if were not? 

I believe Rowbotham performed a similar experiment and came to a similar conclusion based on the same pre-assertion. In his case by measuring differences in the Suns observed altitude between two different locations of London and Brighton. He also calculated from that the distance from London where the Sun should appear directly overhead.  That can quite easily be demonstrated to be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 07:29:42 PM by newhorizons »

Offline Zonk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 05:36:32 PM »
and assuming that the sun moves in the sky at around a constant pace

How can the sun move at a constant pace if it moves between the 2 tropics ( to explain the change in seasons), and FE model requires that the Tropic of Capricorn be a significantly larger circle?  Doesn't that require the sun to constantly be changing speed?

newhorizons

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 07:33:41 PM »
You want (independent) mathematical proof about the Suns true diameter, so here is an example...

https://www.quora.com/How-can-we-measure-the-sun’s-diameter

And yes I have noticed the typo where it says
We know the distance between noon and the earth
should read
We know the distance between moon and the earth

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 08:48:32 PM »
Some of the information is from the pre-internet Flat Earth Movement done under straight line trigonometry and is held as an informal number. For a background see: https://wiki.tfes.org/Distance_to_the_Sun

Work needs to be done by the modern society before it can be updated. EAT is becoming a popular astronomical model. Building off of Voliva's 3000 miles distance for the sun at 45 degrees in the sky via straight line trigonometry, and assuming that the sun moves in the sky at around a constant pace (although I've heard that it moves slightly quicker at zenith), my own initial estimation would be that under the schema of EAT at 90 degrees zenith the Sun would be somewhere about 6000 miles in height; although this is assuming that the area of illumination is linearly related to its distance in the sky. EAT proponents can give their own ideas.

This gives a pretty solid explanation of, among other FET issues, how Voliva's measurements don't work: