Coriolis Effect
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »
What if the FE explanation for the Coriolis effect? Note that both global air "currents" and smaller systems such as cyclones reflect the Coriolis effect.

*And yes, I looked at the wiki. Though it doesn't exactly go into great detail*
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:14:25 PM by HHunter »

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: Coriolis Effect
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:39:10 PM »
What if the FE explanation for the Coriolis effect? Note that both global air "currents" and smaller systems such as cyclones reflect the Coriolis effect.

*And yes, I looked at the wiki. Though it doesn't exactly go into great detail*

The usual answer is that the data on Coriolis is sketchy and we doubt it exists.  I believe that it may happen, but it isn't the earth's shape that causes it.  The aetheric whirlpool on the monopole disc model, and the spatial curve in my infinite closed loop hypothesis could account for it rather easily.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:46:03 PM »
Well first, the Coriolis effect is well documented, and is commonly used to predict accurate weather conditions in the future. We can see the effects of the coriolis effect across innumerable atmospheric systems, from small systems, such as tornadoes and mesocyclones, large systems, such as Hurricanes and Anti-cycles, and large system, such as the Hadley Cell and the Intertropical Convergence Zone. Any model would have to account for a change in lateral speed with a change in longitudinal position.

On a related note, the Eotvos effect cause a decrease in weight when increasing one's speed towards the east, and an increase in weight when accelerating westwards. This is accounted for in a RE by the rotation of the earth, and the change in weight corresponds to the speed that the earth rotates at.

So how exactly would this be accounted for in said models?

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:58:00 AM »
Well first, the Coriolis effect is well documented, and is commonly used to predict accurate weather conditions in the future. We can see the effects of the coriolis effect across innumerable atmospheric systems, from small systems, such as tornadoes and mesocyclones, large systems, such as Hurricanes and Anti-cycles, and large system, such as the Hadley Cell and the Intertropical Convergence Zone. Any model would have to account for a change in lateral speed with a change in longitudinal position.

On a related note, the Eotvos effect cause a decrease in weight when increasing one's speed towards the east, and an increase in weight when accelerating westwards. This is accounted for in a RE by the rotation of the earth, and the change in weight corresponds to the speed that the earth rotates at.

Aetheric wind or spatial curve could well account for Eotvos as well, but it's new to me, the first I've ever heard of it is your mentioning it here.  Is it presumably because when running westwards the round earth is "falling" away from you? 

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »

Hmm. You learn something new every day. I'd never heard of this effect before, and it is quite interesting.

In FET it's a consequence of the shadow of the Aetheric wind, which is what causes Coriolis as well. It's an apparent velocity which, taking relativity into account, would be no different from RET's Coriolis. It would therefore also cause the Eotvos effect. There would, however, be minor geographic differences which could be tested. This could be a way to demonstrate the shape of the Earth, given proper measuring devices.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »
In FET it's a consequence of the shadow of the Aetheric wind, which is what causes Coriolis as well.
Just out of curiosity, is there any research being done to detect and quantify this "Aetheric wind", or will it remain a magical solution that we just need to take on faith?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 06:12:53 AM »
So, once again, the FE'ers just make stuff up and try to pass it off as evidence.  I would expect no less. 

Thork

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
So, once again, the FE'ers just make stuff up and try to pass it off as evidence.  I would expect no less. 
Actually, I have always believed it not to exist. I can find no evidence at all, from swirling plug holes to smoke spires to air travel to oceans currents to Felix Baumgartner's jump. Anywhere you expect to be able to observe Coriolis for yourself, it seems to be completely absent. 

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 03:15:47 PM »
Thork is such an idiot.  You should have that tin foil hat avatar again. 

Thork

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »
Interesting. I don't think I have had that avatar for maybe 3 years. Stop asking us what shape the earth is, you freak! >o<

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 02:59:58 AM »
Interesting. I don't think I have had that avatar for maybe 3 years. Stop asking us what shape the earth is, you freak! >o<

You are dumb.  You changed that avatar the Halloween before last. 

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 12:47:25 PM »
Actually, I have always believed it not to exist. I can find no evidence at all, from swirling plug holes to smoke spires to air travel to oceans currents to Felix Baumgartner's jump. Anywhere you expect to be able to observe Coriolis for yourself, it seems to be completely absent.
Please then read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »
When I flush the toilet sometimes my poop gets stuck. Does this mean the earth has stopped rotating? RE science is weird.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 03:46:27 AM »

Coriolis effect doesn't directly affect small scale-systems, though they can be indirectly affected. Tornadoes don't almost always spin counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere because of the force from the Coriolis effect, but it inherits its spin direction from the spin of the system which the tornado is apart of, which is spinning a certain way because (for larger systems) of coriolis, or because the storm inherited the spin from a larger airflow.

On ocean currents, there are many forcings on them that will make Coriolis not as much as a forcing compared to the other forcings.

And Thork, can you explain the why the spins of large weather system reflect what is suggested by the Coriolis Effect?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 02:35:39 AM »
The Coriolis effect would only exist on a disc. It would not exist if the Earth were spherical because all points on a sphere are the same distance from the center, resulting in the same rotational speed.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 02:55:38 AM »
The Coriolis effect would only exist on a disc. It would not exist if the Earth were spherical because all points on a sphere are the same distance from the center, resulting in the same rotational speed.
What is "rotational speed"? If you mean how much time does it take for a point on the surface to spin once about the axis, then, yes, all points take one "day" to complete a spin. That speed, though, has nothing to do with the CE.
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 03:00:03 AM »
Are you talking about angular speed or linear speed?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 03:25:18 AM »

This is incorrect.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 04:05:31 AM »
What is "rotational speed"? If you mean how much time does it take for a point on the surface to spin once about the axis, then, yes, all points take one "day" to complete a spin. That speed, though, has nothing to do with the CE.

No one mentioned an axis, chap.

Speed is not a vector variable.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 04:44:13 AM »

No one mentioned an axis, chap.

Speed is not a vector variable.

Someone standing at the equator would travel 25,000 miles, or 40,000 kilometers in 1 day, relative to the center of the Earth. Someone standing 1 foot from the geological north pole would travel 2pi feet, or if standing 1 meter away, would travel 2pi meters, in 1 day. Therefore, difference in movement.