Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Flat Earth Theorist Anything
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2014, 12:02:46 AM »
yes, but this would mean the plane would have to fly in a circle.  The world is round and they fly in straight lines
1. Get a globe.  I assume you've seen one, since you believe that's what the earth is shaped like.
2. Trace the path a plane would take around the globe.
3. What shape did you just trace?  Hint: it's a circle.

« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2014, 12:25:39 AM »
well there ARE navigational tools for airplanes.  Also, dont you think that human curiosity would have led at least one person to travel to the edge to see what was beyond?  Are you telling me these people have been silenced?

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2014, 12:33:33 AM »
well there ARE navigational tools for airplanes.  Also, dont you think that human curiosity would have led at least one person to travel to the edge to see what was beyond?  Are you telling me these people have been silenced?

Navigational tools for airplanes follow magnetic field lines.  These are the same on a flat earth as they would be on a spherical one, and the lines of longitide spread like spokes from the North Pole.  As for the edge, no, I'm not telling you anyone has been silenced, nothing so sinister.  As far as we know, no one has seen an edge.  I'm not certain that one exists, but others insist there must be one.  Jury's still out, as they say.

Ghost of V

« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2014, 12:41:45 AM »
On the other hand, I will tell you that people have been silenced. Many people.

The Earth is large. There are many people spread across this great disc. It is ridiculous to assume that no one has seen the edge. I'm sure there are photos out there of the great beyond, but they have probably been censored.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2014, 02:33:05 AM »
Are you saying that pilots, when flying east or west, do not fly in a circle?
Are you saying that pilots only ever fly east or west?

yes, but this would mean the plane would have to fly in a circle.  The world is round and they fly in straight lines
1. Get a globe.  I assume you've seen one, since you believe that's what the earth is shaped like.
2. Trace the path a plane would take around the globe.
3. What shape did you just trace?  Hint: it's a circle.
Yes, it's called a great circle.  What shape do you suppose that same route be on a flat earth?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2014, 03:33:58 AM »
markjo, you can travel to any location on Earth going some variation of east or west.

Rama Set

« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »
markjo, you can travel to any location on Earth going some variation of east or west.

What is a variation of east or west?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »
Yes, and the route would be a variation of a circle.  But we aren't talking about variations, are we?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2014, 07:33:24 PM »
i posted a question here earlier in the year and in the responce was a picture of the flat earth with the arctic in the middle followed by the continents followed by the ant-arctic.  If this was how the earth was made, the fastest point from one place to the other is a straight line, so wouldnt it be fastest to travel from one side of the world to the other by flying over the arctic in the middle?  Pilots would definatly fly by this route and confirm that the earth is flat. Wouldnt they?

Ghost of V

« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2014, 07:42:13 PM »
i posted a question here earlier in the year and in the responce was a picture of the flat earth with the arctic in the middle followed by the continents followed by the ant-arctic.  If this was how the earth was made, the fastest point from one place to the other is a straight line, so wouldnt it be fastest to travel from one side of the world to the other by flying over the arctic in the middle?  Pilots would definatly fly by this route and confirm that the earth is flat. Wouldnt they?

Weather conditions in the Arctic prevent safe travel by plane. No sane pilot is going to take that route.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2014, 10:01:36 PM »

Weather conditions in the Arctic prevent safe travel by plane. No sane pilot is going to take that route.
To the contrary: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1/first-circumnavigation-via-both-poles-surface/
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Ghost of V

« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2014, 10:25:40 PM »

To the contrary: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1/first-circumnavigation-via-both-poles-surface/

And I'm sure conditions were optimal on those flights, if they even happened.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »

And I'm sure conditions were optimal on those flights, if they even happened.
Do tell us what verifiable, objective qualifications you have that would give anyone cause to trust your judgment of the safety of a flight, the sanity of pilot, or the credibility of Guinness World Records. Thanks.

Surely you're not claiming that there is no true Scotsman (no sane pilot), are you?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 23, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »
Surely you're not claiming that there is no true Scotsman (no sane pilot), are you?
Please familiarise yourself with the no true Scotsman fallacy. The way you formulated your question, you're accusing yourself of having committed the fallacy. It does appear like you're trying to suggest that Vauxhall is saying that no true Scotsman (no sane pilot) would ever perform this flight.

Using words you don't understand doesn't make you look smarter, G. You should know this by now.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »
Please familiarise yourself with the no true Scotsman fallacy. The way you formulated your question, you're accusing yourself of having committed the fallacy. It does appear like you're trying to suggest that Vauxhall is saying that no true Scotsman (no sane pilot) would ever perform this flight.

Using words you don't understand doesn't make you look smarter, G. You should know this by now.
Okay, do tell me how my formulation accuses me of making of the fallacy. Thanks.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2014, 10:35:55 AM »
Okay, do tell me how my formulation accuses me of making of the fallacy. Thanks.
Nah. If you want to educate yourself, you will. I gave you all the sources you need. I'm far too busy to deal with your poorly-executed trolls. You're welcome.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »
Nah. If you want to educate yourself, you will. I gave you all the sources you need. I'm far too busy to deal with your poorly-executed trolls. You're welcome.
I didn't think you would. We'll just consider your claim withdrawn.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
For the record, my claim is explicitly stated as not withdrawn. All the sources necessary have been provided.

Out of curiosity, who is this "we" you're referring to?

« Reply #218 on: December 06, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »

Navigational tools for airplanes follow magnetic field lines.  These are the same on a flat earth as they would be on a spherical one, and the lines of longitide spread like spokes from the North Pole.  As for the edge, no, I'm not telling you anyone has been silenced, nothing so sinister.  As far as we know, no one has seen an edge.  I'm not certain that one exists, but others insist there must be one.  Jury's still out, as they say.
They now use GPS, satellite based.

Ghost of V

« Reply #219 on: December 06, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »
They now use GPS, satellite based.

GPS is not satellite based. It is based on sonar technology. Similar to mapping the oceans. Sonar travels through the air, bounces off weather balloons fixed with reflectors, then hits the geography below to map the land. There might be one or two stratellites involved. It's really that simple.