Offline Ratboy

• View Profile
When I woke up this morning I realized that in a flat earth, a road running east and west is  curved where the driver would have to circle the north pole.  On a round earth, the person could drive straight.  Looking at the map of the Old Bedford River, which is surveyed to be in a certain constant south east direction, I calculated that for a flat earth three stakes in the middle of channel would be 52 cm out of linear looking down the channel as Rowbotham did.  He claimed they were in a straight line. 
Similarly, if you drive straight west from Seneca to Marysville KY on highway 36, if the earth is flat you will have to drive 1 mile to the right of the direction you started out in to reach Marysville. On a round earth, you can get there by driving straight.  Try it out and see if you think the road curves to the right or not.

East-West roads curve on the globe Earth as well, except at the equator. Have you done the math to compare the two?

Offline Ratboy

• View Profile
East-West roads curve on the globe Earth as well, except at the equator. Have you done the math to compare the two?

The roads do not curve left or right on a round earth.  Think of a round gasket like you put between two flanges when you do pipefitting.  Driving on a flat earth is like driving on the face of the gasket where you are driving in a circle around the middle.  Driving on a round earth is like driving on the edge of the gasket.  You do not have to turn the steering wheel to drive on the edge.  Take a globe and slice it at the 49th parallel and again at the 48th parallel.  Draw a road on this slice and imagine driving down that road. You keep the wheel straight.  To slice the same part on a flat road you end up with a ring that you will have to drive with the wheel turned the whole time.  I hope this helps demonstrate my point.  East west roads are parallel to each other. Parallels of latitude. 

HorstFue

The roads do not curve left or right on a round earth.  Think of a round gasket like you put between two flanges when you do pipefitting.  Driving on a flat earth is like driving on the face of the gasket where you are driving in a circle around the middle.  Driving on a round earth is like driving on the edge of the gasket.  You do not have to turn the steering wheel to drive on the edge.  Take a globe and slice it at the 49th parallel and again at the 48th parallel.  Draw a road on this slice and imagine driving down that road. You keep the wheel straight.  To slice the same part on a flat road you end up with a ring that you will have to drive with the wheel turned the whole time.  I hope this helps demonstrate my point.  East west roads are parallel to each other. Parallels of latitude.

What an observer would view as a 'straight' line on a sphere, is looking along a Great Circle; a circle with it's center at Earth's center. Circles following the same latitude will have their center above or below Earth's center. Or, the observer is oriented this way, that his z-axis goes through the center of Earth. The same way also the viewing line must follow a circle with it's center at Earth's center.
This way, your example, you would have to tilt your gasket, until it goes through both endpoints, keeping the center of the gasket exact at the same point (center of sphere); not lower or heighten your gasket.

Extreme example: Imagine two points near North Pole, same latitude, but on opposite sides of the North Pole (difference in longitude 180°).
Where does the 'straight line' go? Right over the Pole.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:06:50 PM by HorstFue »

What an observer would view as a 'straight' line on a sphere, is looking along a Great Circle; a circle with it's center at Earth's center. Circles following the same latitude will have their center above or below Earth's center. Or, the observer is oriented this way, that his z-axis goes through the center of Earth. The same way also the viewing line must follow a circle with it's center at Earth's center.
This way, your example, you would have to tilt your gasket, until it goes through both endpoints, keeping the center of the gasket exact at the same point (center of sphere); not lower or heighten your gasket.

Extreme example: Imagine two points near North Pole, same latitude, but on the opposite side of the North Pole (difference in longitude 180°).
Entirely accurate I would say. But I would add that the OP is an insightful point. The East/West bend on FE vs RE are different. You need to know your latitude to say how much it is, but it can be tested for.

Offline Ratboy

• View Profile

Extreme example: Imagine two points near North Pole, same latitude, but on the opposite side of the North Pole (difference in longitude 180°).
Entirely accurate I would say. But I would add that the OP is an insightful point. The East/West bend on FE vs RE are different. You need to know your latitude to say how much it is, but it can be tested for.
I apologize profusely as I realized the flaw in my logic on my own and meant to correct it before others do.  Seldom on this site have I seen a person admit they were wrong and I was wrong.  My gasket analogy is wrong because the edge would not be perpendicular to the plane of the face.  I also thought of when I was near the north pole myself and realized east west is more on the face than the edge.
But as I have said many times here, things mostly fall apart once you are near the equator and south of the equator.  Douglips is totally correct to challenge me and I was wrong.  But in addition to his observation that it would only work at the equator, south of the equator the curvatures are in opposite directions.  Since it seems that flat earthers refuse to travel, it is impossible to convince them that there is a south of the equator or a south pole.  When north - south roads go through the midwest US, they have to put in correction lines so that the number of roads decreases as you go north to keep the farmland in square pieces.  In Australia they have to decrease the roads as you go south.  Or in other words, you turn right as you go west in the north hemisphere and left as you go west in the south hemisphere.  But flat earthers do not acknowledge the differences between the north and south hemispheres (or at least have not in the past) and so I concede that my original point is flawed.