Yet another one
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25375064

When will America start to realise their attitude to guns and their gun culture needs tackling?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another one
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:20:44 PM »
When all of the bad gun people have been executed, we will have peace. 

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 11:26:16 PM »
Why is this a gun issue?  Sounds more like a psychological issue, as is usually the case when school shootings end in suicide.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 01:40:17 AM »
The proper way would be to purge those of faulted psychology, preferably by crucifixion.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 02:55:25 AM »
Why is this a gun issue?  Sounds more like a psychological issue, as is usually the case when school shootings end in suicide.

It's a gun issue because a disturbed minor apparently had no issue getting his hands on one and ammunition to go and murder someone. It's a psychological issue as well to be sure, but these types of tragedies are much less horrific if some place does not end up full of bodies and bullet holes. Maybe we should thank the guns for putting the deeper issues in the spotlight?  I dunno...

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 03:07:03 AM »

It's a gun issue because a disturbed minor apparently had no issue getting his hands on one and ammunition to go and murder someone. It's a psychological issue as well to be sure, but these types of tragedies are much less horrific if some place does not end up full of bodies and bullet holes. Maybe we should thank the guns for putting the deeper issues in the spotlight?  I dunno...

Or thank his parents for not keeping their guns securely locked away from irresponsible children.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 03:57:57 AM »
false flag crisis actors it's really all about katsung

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 04:12:35 AM »
Yes, the FBI planted this nonsense to lure Katsung into some sort of really elaborate trap that he has cleverly evaded.

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 05:16:36 AM »
Like a time share purchase.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 06:35:56 AM »
Yes, the FBI planted this nonsense to lure Katsung into some sort of really elaborate trap that he has cleverly evaded.

They will most likely nuke China in their next effort to get him.

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »

Or thank his parents for not keeping their guns securely locked away from irresponsible children.

Most parents (people) don't own a gun, or feel the need to carry one around with them, in the UK because we feel safe enough on our streets. I feel sorry for those in America who do feel the need to carry a gun around with them because they obviously have an unsafe society or they're extremely paranoid.

Mental illness happens in every society, however if this kid was in the UK he would have found it much much harder to find a gun to shoot people with it.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »
Oh look, it ended with no fatalities (yet) and it didn't require a gun in the hand of anyone.

Suck it gun nuts.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
Oh look, it ended with no fatalities (yet) and it didn't require a gun in the hand of anyone.

Suck it gun nuts.

The headline quite clearly states that the gunman is dead.

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »
The only fatality was from a self inflicted gunshot.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »
This 1 bothered me. I've always believed in gun rights, but I'm beginning to wonder now. In Henry VIII's time, people kept weapons because there was no standing army. That is obviously no longer the case. The question now is, should we still allow it? & if we do, should we limit the variety? I'm not sure. Currently, the only countries w/ more liberal gun laws than ours are Finland & Switzerland, for the maintenance of a militia, since both nations have very small militaries. Obviously, the US, with the 2nd or 3rd largest military in the world, is different.

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 04:35:31 PM »
Well, this article I found says a Harvard stufy found a negative correlation between gun onwership and murder rates - the less people that own guns in a nation, the higher the murder rate.

http://theacru.org/acru/harvard_study_gun_control_is_counterproductive/

The muders included are not just gun murders, but all murders.  I think the correlation is there because people aren't going to attack someone if they think they'll get shot in the process. 

Most parents (people) don't own a gun, or feel the need to carry one around with them, in the UK because we feel safe enough on our streets. I feel sorry for those in America who do feel the need to carry a gun around with them because they obviously have an unsafe society or they're extremely paranoid.

Mental illness happens in every society, however if this kid was in the UK he would have found it much much harder to find a gun to shoot people with it.

Then I take it many parents in the UK also do not go hunting.  The fact that a shotgun was used in this case is what leads me to believe it was his parents', as many people in the US hunt using shotguns.  If this is the case, then it's similar to another shooting at a middle school where the student took the gun from his home.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 04:44:23 PM »
I don't take the UK's opinion on anything seriously. I've had too many people from an island smaller than most US states try to tell me why I don't need a gun nor a truck because they can't possibly comprehend the things those are used for. I imagine most of them are specifically from England, where the population density per km^2 never falls below 100.

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
We have tried the "limit the variety" approach and it didn't have any significant impact on gun violence by the time it expired.  I don't think you can realistically revoke the gun rights of Americans since the founding fathers saw this right to be important enough to not only include it as part of the first set of inalienable rights of citizens, but listed it second only to the right of free speech.  I think the bigger issue is the underlying cause of these events and not the means by which they are carried out. 
Firstly, I think parents should be more involved in their children's lives (I'm not saying this is the case here but in general).  An active and healthy parent-child relationship will not only help the child cope with the stresses of their social lives, but will also help them increase their school performance as well.  An active parent may also be able to see the signs that their child is experiencing mental instability, whether from an illness, bullying, or whatever other reason).
Secondly, the gun owning parents need to better safeguard their guns.  I've seen several stories of grade school children finding their parent's handgun in the closet and bringing it to school in their backpack.  Every gun owner should have the wherewithal to be responsible enough to have a place to store their guns where their children cannot get to them.  This includes not giving the gun safe combination to their teenagers.

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 06:51:54 PM »
false flag crisis actors it's really all about katsung
Is the timing with the 1 year anniversary of the Newtown shooting mere coincidence?  Hmmmm  And not far from Columbine either....

We have tried the "limit the variety" approach and it didn't have any significant impact on gun violence by the time it expired.
Yep, I recall the cries of those who said the streets were going to erupt in warfare if the 94 AWB were to expire.  Heaven forbid they actually took the time to understand anything about said "assault weapons" and what that bill actually did as far as "banning" anything. ::)

This 1 bothered me. I've always believed in gun rights, but I'm beginning to wonder now.
Ever heard the saying, "Those who forget history, are doomed to repeat it" (wording varies)?  Back in the 30's a certain political figure in Europe called for gun registration and control, followed by the attempted eradication of an entire religious/ethnic (whichever you prefer) group.  It wasn't a one-time isolated incident either.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Model, the correct term is 'ethno-religious group'. Beyond that, your point is well taken.