Offline ecapp

• View Profile
Flat Earth App for Android and iOS
« on: January 26, 2016, 06:05:26 AM »
My brother asked me to make him an app to help him in his calculations whilst out and about. He was using Android, but I have also made one for iPhone and iPad.
It isn't a big download and requires no internet so is good for tablets with no network etc.

Android version is at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.visicomscientific.scottforshaw.earthcurvecalculator&hl=en

and the Apple version is at  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/earth-curve-calculator/id1071498458?mt=8

I hope it of use to anyone who is interested in this subject, if there are enough requests then updates/modification suggestions welcome.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth App for Android and iOS
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:20:14 AM »
How is the curvature calculated?

Thork

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
Nice start. There are all kinds of calcs you can do. the speed of the sun on any given day is a nice one. It changes on a flat earth. :)

Offline ecapp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:52:28 AM »
The calculation is currently based on sea level on a spheroid of r 3959 miles. The ability to enter your own formulas is something I have considered, but as the baseline that seems to be in dispute is the generally accepted one, i chose that. Of course it requires you either manually account for your own altitude or work at sea level.

Some have asked for a setting to enter the observer altitude.

@David, speed of the sun.. ok thats a possible one though I guess a more advanced function for people doing shorter range observations?

As I said, any suggestions welcome.

If there are any particular formulas that people use regularly they would like including in the App's setup I will be happy to publish an update.

Cheers

Thork

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:20:42 AM »
Sun speed is a function of the time of year. the sun will have an exact speed today, will be slightly slower tomorrow as the sun moves north a tiny bit. You could pick any day from a date picker and get the speed of the sun for that day.

Offline ecapp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 09:48:58 AM »
Sun speed is a function of the time of year. the sun will have an exact speed today, will be slightly slower tomorrow as the sun moves north a tiny bit. You could pick any day from a date picker and get the speed of the sun for that day.

As caused by the distance from Earth to sun changing around the equinoxes etc? I haven't looked into it too much, does the data change year on year? I assume you are wanting orbital circular velocity? If it changes year on year then the app would need to recover this data annually or manually perhaps. I will check it out and if it isn't a huge job I will try and get it in the update cycle in the next month or so
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:53:18 AM by ecapp »

Thork

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 10:18:40 AM »
No, as from the distance to the north pole. The sun travels between the tropics of cancer and Capricorn. The tropic of cancer is a much smaller circle on a flat earth than the tropic of Capricorn, yet it still completes a circle in 24 hours. In other words, it speeds up as the sun travels south.

We know the equator is 6,374 km. We know the equator is 10,007km from the north pole, and that the tropics are 23°26′13.9 degrees either side. So with a bit of maths, we can worth out the exact speed on any day. It is close to 1000mph on during the equinox for example.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:23:08 AM by Dr David Thork »

Offline ecapp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 08:23:03 AM »
Thanks for the info, i will try and get it into the next update

Offline UnionsOfSolarSystemPlanet

• The Moon orbits spherical Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 05:53:25 PM »
No, as from the distance to the north pole. The sun travels between the tropics of cancer and Capricorn. The tropic of cancer is a much smaller circle on a flat earth than the tropic of Capricorn, yet it still completes a circle in 24 hours. In other words, it speeds up as the sun travels south.

We know the equator is 6,374 km. We know the equator is 10,007km from the north pole, and that the tropics are 23°26′13.9 degrees either side. So with a bit of maths, we can worth out the exact speed on any day. It is close to 1000mph on during the equinox for example.

Perihelion and Aphelion must also be added to the equation, i know for a fact that the Sun is larger and move faster to background stars at January than at July.
The size of the Solar system if the Moon were only 1 pixel:
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html