Offline edby

• View Profile
Dyer on Rowbotham
« on: May 22, 2018, 04:30:07 PM »
Dyer’s work to explode Rowbotham’s preposterous claims is summarised here
https://www.cantab.net/users/michael.behrend/ebooks/PlaneTruth/pages/Chapter_01.html
Well worth reading – I love the test of Rowbotham's airgun claim.

I have now examined every question of any scientific importance in the book entitled “Earth Not a Globe;” and in doing so, my patience has often been sorely tried.  The great number of dogmatic assertions, the incorrect statements, the suppression of facts, and the misrepresentations found in its pages, have more than once tempted me to throw the book into the fire, as undeserving of a serious reply.  If, however, the reading of what has been written shall have the effect of removing the uneasiness of your mind, caused by the book in question, my object will be accomplished, and I shall not have laboured in vain.

Dyer labored in vain.  When The Spherical Form of the Earth was published in 1870, flat-earthism had already spread throughout the British Isles.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Dyer on Rowbotham
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »
It sounds like a Victorian era troll of the type we get here on public message boards. I don't see that he submitted contradicting facts. Why should we care about what he had to say?

In fact, those sections seem to chronicle Dyer misinterpreting what he thought Rowbotham's work describes and getting spanked along the way.

Offline edby

• View Profile
Re: Dyer on Rowbotham
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 04:43:58 PM »
It sounds like a Victorian era troll of the type we get here on public message boards. I don't see that he submitted contradicting facts. Why should we care about what he had to say?

In fact, those sections seem to chronicle Dyer misinterpreting what he thought Rowbotham's work describes and getting spanked along the way.
I recommend the part about the airgun experiment.