Questions for Flat-Earthers
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:34:07 AM »

Hi Flatters,

I am new here, a hybrid. My name is FlatGlobe.

I have a few questions:-

1) How do you explain the eclipse of the moon? At present the explanation is that the earth is a globe, and the moon revolves round it. Thus, as the globists would say, this happens when the global earth stands (not literally of course) between the sun and the moon.
2) Also, when I was at school, my teacher said that the rounded shape of the eclipse silhouette (supposedly due to the global earth) projected onto the moon is a proof of the round earth, got it? Don't worry I am both flat and round, that's my name.
3) The seasons, the length of days in winter and summer - this can only properly explained if the earth is round.
4) The zodiacs and the precession of the equinoxes can only happen if the earth is round, may be.

These above phenomena seem to me may imply that the earth is round. If you ask me, I can't answer whether the earth is flat or round. I am a hybrid at the moment. After all the scientific method is based on the rejection of the null hypothesis.

Some of the arguments for flat earth are also convincing, that's why I am here.

Cheers.

FlatGlobe

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Flat-Earthers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:39:16 AM »
Hi FLATGLOBE, I split this into a new topic because it would derail the thread where you posted it. Good luck on your quest for knowledge and welcome to The Flat Earth Society.

Tellthetruth

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 08:32:13 PM »
Hi FLATGLOBE.
I too am not quite ready to give any sure answers on the subject.
Perhaps some ideas I have will spark someones theory's and help us with understanding.
Perhaps the earth is flat enclosed in a spherical dome of sorts.
Perhaps a form of "Glass" that could cause the shadow we see on the moon.
I think it possible the Sun and Moon could be outside this dome and cause the seasons and other effects you mention.
Just thinking out loud!
I love working my mind rather than having it turned to marshmallow by watching TV or the like.
Peace.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 07:36:08 PM »
1) How do you explain the eclipse of the moon? At present the explanation is that the earth is a globe, and the moon revolves round it. Thus, as the globists would say, this happens when the global earth stands (not literally of course) between the sun and the moon.
2) Also, when I was at school, my teacher said that the rounded shape of the eclipse silhouette (supposedly due to the global earth) projected onto the moon is a proof of the round earth, got it? Don't worry I am both flat and round, that's my name.
3) The seasons, the length of days in winter and summer - this can only properly explained if the earth is round.
4) The zodiacs and the precession of the equinoxes can only happen if the earth is round, may be.

Hello, FlatGlobe.  I hope we can help you find some clarity.

1. The moon's eclipse seems to be caused by a shadow, but we do not know what casts it.  If the lunar eclipse were caused by earth's shadow, then we would never be able to have a lunar eclipse while the sun was also visible in the sky; yet this happens, and is well documented.

2. The penumbra (the edge of the shadow) appears to be rounded, yes, but as you can see, there are many round objects in the sky, so this isn't surprising.  Assuming that it is caused by earth would lead to the conclusion that earth must be round, but if you don't make that assumption (and you shouldn't, because there is evidence to the contrary), then that shadow doesn't have any bearing on earth's shape at all.

3. Not true.  In summer in the northern hemidisc (the northern hemisphere, if you prefer), the sun circles above the earth in a smaller circle, always north of the equator.  In winter in the northern hemidisc, the sun circles along a wider path, mainly staying south of the equator.  The seasons and changing length of day/night work just fine on a flat earth.

4. The precession of the equinoxes also work just fine on a flat earth.  Just as the sun and moon circle above, the celestial dome also circles above us.  However, the sun is not fixed to the celestial dome.  Just as the sun and moon circle at different rates, the sun and celestial dome circle at different rates, and during the year the sun appears to move through the zodiac constellations due to this motion relative to the dome.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »
This is not in the debate section so I can't explain the real reason. But you have to realize that all these flat earth theories are made up to fit conditions IF the earth was flat.

Allow me to tell you a story.  In the 1800s, no one used nuclear reactions to explain where all the energy the sun produces comes from.  How could they?  Instead, they presumed that the energy came from the gravitational collapse of the sun itself.  They had models for that.  And they could use them to estimate the sun's age.  I won't repeat the whole derivation for you here (though I can, I have it in a notebook somewhere), but they came up, using what appeared to be very sound methods and correct mathematics, with an age of about 32 million years for the sun.

Now, this was understandably a controversy because there were those who claimed the earth was older than that.  But it was nonetheless the "accepted" number because of the made up condition they placed on the sun (that its energy comes from its own internal pressure due to gravity).

Today, they have come up with the idea of nuclear reactions, and have used that condition to arrive at an age of about 4-5 billion years for the sun.  Welp, this is sure older than the earth, so we call it golden, but the only thing that's changed is that someone made another condition fit the situation.  No one's been there.  We can't directly measure hydrogen fusion in the sun's core, only the energy it allegedly produces.

In recent centuries, physicists made up a thing called aether to explain how light propagated through a vacuum.  Today, they've made up a thing called dark matter to account for calculations for masses and the rotation of clusters and galaxies showing far more mass than observed.  "Accepted" science is full of examples of a condition being invented and forced to match observations.

We say the earth is flat because the earth appears to be flat. Yet when we discuss the nature of the cosmos starting from this assumption, we're making things up and forcing them to fit our model, and that somehow lacks credibility?

Hello pot, this is kettle.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 01:51:43 PM »
This is not in the debate section so I can't explain the real reason. But you have to realize that all these flat earth theories are made up to fit conditions IF the earth was flat.

This is not "the other" flat-earth site.  You may debate in Q&A.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 02:56:06 PM »

This is not "the other" flat-earth site.  You may debate in Q&A.

So, I can say here that all theories are supported by 'eisegesis'?

Globebelievers often have the delusion/illusion that their theory is fact.

As long as you stay on topic and don't post low-content you are allowed to present your views.