Offline Bad Puppy

• Belief does not make something a theory.
    • View Profile
Re: Is Greenland as big as Africa?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »
Assuming the earth is flat, google maps is not accurate and shouldn't be used by flat earthers.  Why not use Gleason's map, for example?

It’s my understanding that all FE maps are globe projections. This includes the mono-polar, bi-polar and Gleason maps, as well as others. In essence, there’s no such thing as an FE map.

It's actually the other way around. There's no such thing as globular maps. Any globes you see are simply globular projections of a flat earth.

How can these be globular projections of a flat earth if a flat earth map doesn't exist?  Try again.

There is presently a lack of funding for this world mapping venture.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
...circles do not exist and pi is not 3.14159...

Quote from: totallackey
Do you have any evidence of reality?

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 02:16:52 PM »
It's actually the other way around. There's no such thing as globular maps. Any globes you see are simply globular projections of a flat earth.

And why on (flat) earth would they do that?
The whole point of maps being flat is they are easier to work with and navigate by than carrying a globe around, but because the earth is a globe any map has to be a projection. If the earth were really flat then a map would represent it without any projection, globes would be completely pointless and superflous.

Do you believe the UN would choose an inaccurate map as their primary logo?

I believe that a logo is 2D and in choosing a logo which represents the whole earth they picked a 2D projection of the globe. There is no "accurate" projection because it is not possible to represent a globe correctly in 2D. Do you believe that the UN logo accurately depicts the layout of the flat earth and matches flight times and routes?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 08:03:32 PM »
Hey everyone,

So, I am pretty sure that everyone here has agreed at some point that Google Maps works. You can select a and b and get between them using your transportation of choice.

Google have recently changed their web version of maps to a globe. I am not saying the Earth is a globe because Google says so, so please read on...

On Google's flat version of maps, it shows that Greenland is huge. Like really huge. on their flat version (still available on Android) Greenland is almost the same size as Africa. On their new version of web maps, Greenland is dwarfed by Africa.

As I understand it, this is an issue with transposing round Earth to a flat surface. The way Google chose to do this was to have a scale that changed depending on where you were looking on the map at the time, therefore making things further from the equator appear bigger than they are.

So, why am I posting this? Good question sir! I wanted to find out how it is possible that, assuming the Earth is flat, Greenland appears to be as big as Africa when the scale could not possibly change.

If scale changes then it shows that there is a difference in curvature.

Please note that I am not trying to start an argument here, I am trying to understand. This is just something that has triggered my interest lately.

Try this out. www.thetruesize.com

It shows how the size changes based on the location on the flat map.

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 01:32:11 PM »
Try this out. www.thetruesize.com

It shows how the size changes based on the location on the flat map.

Genius! This proves the point very nicely!