Yaakov ben Avraham

Mormonism & The Book of Mormon
« on: January 08, 2014, 03:59:22 AM »
On another topic, is anyone here any kind of Latter-day Saint (Utah variety or otherwise)? Has anyone read The Book of Mormon? What do you think of it? I've read it. I'm doing some work on it. Any thoughts? Anyone who doesn't know about it, let me know, & I can give a brief synopsis.

Offline Socker

• View Profile
Re: Mormonism & The Book of Mormon
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:03:54 AM »
The only thing I know about Mormonism is from South Park, so I doubt I can give a good opinion.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 04:24:56 AM »
Fair enough. The Book of Mormon is a document 1st published in 1830. According to Joseph Smith, Jr, he was led to metal plates that had the appearance of gold by an angel named Moroni. Allowed to take them in September of 1827, he was able w/ the help of magical devices called the Urim & Thummim to translate the text. The text itself is a document divided into 15 'books', each by a different author, much like the Bible. Like that book, The Book of Mormon tells the story of the rise & fall of civilisations, these ones in the Americas. Both originated in the Middle East, the 1st about 2100 BC, the 2nd in 600 BC. I won't tell you more, as that would spoil it, except to say that yes, according to this, the Americas DID get a visit from Jesus! Go figure! I don't subscribe to any of this personally, but I do find it fascinating. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:17:40 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 04:58:36 AM »
I'm a Jew.

Wow, thanks for the reminder.  I had almost forgotten.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:06:34 AM »
Yaakov'd. The only thing I know about Mormons is they're annoying and come to my door once in a while, and something about magic underpants.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 05:15:36 AM »
Saddam, fair enough. I had that coming! Statement edited to remove the stupid reference to the obvious.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:19:28 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 08:20:44 AM »
Yaakov'd. The only thing I know about Mormons is they're annoying and come to my door once in a while, and something about magic underpants.
You should talk to them about a magic fist that punches unwelcome visitors who visit too often.
The Mastery.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »

Are you sure that's not the Jehovah's Witnesses?
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »
No, he's right. Mormons do believe in wearing special garments under their clothing. They derive these beliefs from a blend of Jewish & Masonic concepts.

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
Jospeh Smith was also a convicted conman who for some reason translated the texts in to middle english.  I wonder why... Think he might have gotten along with L. Ron Hubbard.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »
Well, whatever one thinks of Joseph or the Church he founded, the fact is, that while he was brought to law on MANY occasions, he was only found guilty of a very minor offence, namely, being disorderly & being an imposter. There is no record even of a punishment. An argument can always be made that Joseph was simply acting the fool, as many young folk do. I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. Re: the Middle English, that is true. The argument could be made that this was done because people were accustomed to this in their Bibles & churches. Again, Devil's Advocate. There was only one English Bible used in 1830, the Authorised Version (King James Version). Most Americans were using a 1769 imprint of the KJV, which is what was sold in this country @ the time. Joseph's own Bible was that imprint. It could be argued that writing in then standard English would have been out of order, just as no one translated the Bible into contemporary English until the 20th Century.

Thork

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »
Mormons always seem super happy to me. If believing in a book a man wrote with his face in a hat makes people happy, its one of the better religions.

Also, can Mormons have sex with their siblings or is that a myth?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 11:16:56 PM »
That's a myth. Incest is as forbidden to the LDS as it is to most. I've never even heard that one before, & I've been around Mormons for years. They used to practice polygyny, & some fundamentalist sects still do, but the mainline Church hasn't since 1890.

Thork

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 11:33:07 PM »
That's a myth. Incest is as forbidden to the LDS as it is to most.
The link below is long, but if you have the time, you'll see Mormonism is absolutely laced with incest.

http://human-nature.com/science-as-culture/walker.html

Of course its an internet source and if you look for evidence of anything on the internet, you'll find it.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »
Since I'm on my dumbphone, I can't read the link, but, early in Mormon history, some very strange things did go on. Mormonism was in many ways what fundamentalist Mormons are today: clannish, secretive, outright dangerous. One could say cult-like. If incest occurred (which would not surprise me), it was likely in that early period of the history of the Church that no one in the Mormon Church knows about, because all they get in church is the sanitised version. Those few who DO know shut up or get stomped on by the Brethren. The power of the Mormon Church in the Intermountain West is NOT something to underestimate. One who does may find that it is the last professional act they take before being squashed like a bug.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »
Since I'm on my dumbphone, I can't read the link, but, early in Mormon history, some very strange things did go on. Mormonism was in many ways what fundamentalist Mormons are today: clannish, secretive, outright dangerous. One could say cult-like. If incest occurred (which would not surprise me), it was likely in that early period of the history of the Church that no one in the Mormon Church knows about, because all they get in church is the sanitised version. Those few who DO know shut up or get stomped on by the Brethren. The power of the Mormon Church in the Intermountain West is NOT something to underestimate. One who does may find that it is the last professional act they take before being squashed like a bug.
This doesn't sound like an organization I want any part of.  :/

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »
& yes, unless you are prepared to (a) sweep a lot under the rug about early Mormon history, or (b) acknowledge that stuff happened but keep your yap shut in public, the LDS Church is NOT an organisation you want to be part of. @ the least, you will be subject to the so-called 'Court of Love' (a Church court where punishments up to excommunication are doled out; & no, I am NOT making up the Orwellian name, they literlly do call such a procedure a 'Court of Love'). @ worst, if you live in Mormon Country, your professional existance could be destroyed. The Morg ('Resistance is futile') is relentless. The stories I could share...

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 03:12:41 AM »
On another topic, is anyone here any kind of Latter-day Saint (Utah variety or otherwise)? Has anyone read The Book of Mormon? What do you think of it? I've read it. I'm doing some work on it. Any thoughts? Anyone who doesn't know about it, let me know, & I can give a brief synopsis.
Morminism is nothing but a flippin evil santanic cult. They are NOT Christans!! They dont beleive that Jesus is God thus they are absibituteley NOT Christans
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

Rama Set

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 06:35:39 AM »
Morminism is nothing but a flippin evil santanic cult. They are NOT Christans!! They dont beleive that Jesus is God thus they are absibituteley NOT Christans

Jesus Christ is the literal Son of God. His birth, life, death, and resurrection fulfilled the many prophecies contained in the scriptures concerning the coming of a Savior. He was the Creator, He is our Savior, and He will be our Judge (see Isaiah 9:6, 53:3-7; Psalms 22:16-18).

Under the direction of our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ created the earth (John 1:10; Hebrews 1:2).

So they dont believe in the trinity, big deal.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 07:07:34 AM »
Rama, pls.
The Mastery.