Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't Polaris been seen at the coast of Antartica?
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2016, 10:43:14 AM »
If the Earth is flat why can't someone standing on the coast of Antartica see Polaris at night?

Polaris would be 13.09 degrees above the horizon and being a less than 2 magnitude star, easy to see.

If the Earth is globe and "spinning, turning" why can't someone standing on the coast of Antartica see Polaris at night?
Simply because Polaris would be more than 60° below the horizon!

İntikam

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2016, 11:20:40 AM »
If the Earth is flat why can't someone standing on the coast of Antartica see Polaris at night?

Polaris would be 13.09 degrees above the horizon and being a less than 2 magnitude star, easy to see.

If the Earth is globe and "spinning, turning" why can't someone standing on the coast of Antartica see Polaris at night?

I replied to Round fact mister! What's it to you? You're doing what you criticize. Shame on you mister, shame on you shameless man!

It is not impartant what the angel between Polaris and earth. Is earth continuesly turning, spinning and moving with sun? The angle must continuesly changin.  Why does'nt this happen?

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2016, 11:33:14 AM »

I replied to Round fact mister! What's it to you? You're doing what you criticize. Shame on you mister, shame on you shameless man!

It is not impartant what the angel between Polaris and earth. Is earth continuesly turning, spinning and moving with sun? The angle must continuesly changin.  Why does'nt this happen?

Polaris IS well below the horizon on globe. Only on a FE could it AND WOULD it be seen from points south of the equator. But the FACT is, Polaris is NOT seen from south of the equator. Proof of a globe earth.

This also applies to the sun, see my thread on that subject.

İntikam

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2016, 12:26:58 PM »

Polaris IS well below the horizon on globe. Only on a FE could it AND WOULD it be seen from points south of the equator. But the FACT is, Polaris is NOT seen from south of the equator. Proof of a globe earth.

This also applies to the sun, see my thread on that subject.

This is disprove of the earth spinnig, rotating and moving. It is impossible to see the polaris as same place if everything is moving.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2016, 12:52:32 PM »
Is earth continuesly turning, spinning and moving with sun? The angle must continuesly changin.  Why does'nt this happen?

This is disprove of the earth spinnig, rotating and moving. It is impossible to see the polaris as same place if everything is moving.

Now that you've said this same thing twice, I'm sure I understand you and will reply.  As you say, we claim the earth is continuously turning, spinning, rotating, yes.  And for everything else in the sky, it is true that they will not be in the same place, and the angle would change.  Polaris happens to be located in a unique position, however: the rotational axis of the earth points at the spot in the sky occupied by Polaris.  This is why its angle never changes, and it appears to spin in place (in actual fact, it is slightly off-axis, a little less than 45 arc-minutes, or 3/4 of a degree.  This means it does actually describe a very small apparent circle in the sky, but very tiny) and the whole northern hemisphere sky appears to rotate around it.

Consider an analogy: place a video camera on a record player's turntable, pointing at a wall.  If you film the room while turning the record, everything in the image will be moving.  Point the camera upwards at a 45 degree angle, same result.  But if you point the camera along the spin axis (at the ceiling) and run the test, you will find a spot on the ceiling that does not move within the image, but turns in place.  THAT'S where Polaris would be.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2016, 05:56:55 AM »
Is earth continuesly turning, spinning and moving with sun? The angle must continuesly changin.  Why does'nt this happen?

Now that you've said this same thing twice, I'm sure I understand you and will reply.  As you say, we claim the earth is continuously turning, spinning, rotating, yes.  And for everything else in the sky, it is true that they will not be in the same place, and the angle would change.  Polaris happens to be located in a unique position, however: the rotational axis of the earth points at the spot in the sky occupied by Polaris.  This is why its angle never changes, and it appears to spin in place (in actual fact, it is slightly off-axis, a little less than 45 arc-minutes, or 3/4 of a degree.  This means it does actually describe a very small apparent circle in the sky, but very tiny) and the whole northern hemisphere sky appears to rotate around it.

Consider an analogy: place a video camera on a record player's turntable, pointing at a wall.  If you film the room while turning the record, everything in the image will be moving.  Point the camera upwards at a 45 degree angle, same result.  But if you point the camera along the spin axis (at the ceiling) and run the test, you will find a spot on the ceiling that does not move within the image, but turns in place.  THAT'S where Polaris would be.

Lucky thing it just so happens to be the brightest star in the sky. Also good thing that the stars are so so far away that their relative positions never ever change during our 530 million mile elliptical orbit. That certainly made navigation for 99% of human history a heck of a lot easier.

İntikam

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2016, 07:40:08 AM »
Is polaris everytime 60 degrees angle to North Pole?

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2016, 07:42:17 AM »
It constantly amazes me that a bunch of people who insist on zetetic/observational data as the only true method of discovery, show themselves up constantly by the fact they clearly never do it. Polaris is nowhere near the brightest star in the sky, and to say that it is, means you have never actually took the relatively easy step of going outside and looking up.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

İntikam

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2016, 07:54:24 AM »
somebody prefer to insults instead of arguing.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2016, 08:47:26 AM »
I find an argument is only worth having if the opposition is coherent, informed and at least show that they practice what they preach.

If you are a sailor out beyond the site of land you will look for a method of fixing your position from what is available, which pretty much means the sky. If you have ever looked up at the sky you will notice that the nearer you look to the horizon the more the stars move, both through the night and the year, in the northern hemisphere looking up to the north the constellation Ursa major pivots around Polaris, using Rounders analogy of the turntable there will always be one part of the sky that remains stationary, in the north there is a star there, in the south there isn’t, so a “lucky thing” in only 50% of the planet, not much room for a conspiracy there then.

Incidentally, in 320 BC the Greek navigator Pytheas described the celestial pole devoid of stars.
As the stars are not fixed, they move position, Polaris won't be there in a couple of thousand years.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:23:02 AM by Jura-Glenlivet »
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Round fact

• View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2016, 10:26:22 AM »

Lucky thing it just so happens to be the brightest star in the sky. Also good thing that the stars are so so far away that their relative positions never ever change during our 530 million mile elliptical orbit. That certainly made navigation for 99% of human history a heck of a lot easier.

Polaris is a 1.98 magnatude star. There are, not counting the sun at -26.74 mag, 47 stars that brighter than Polaris.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2016, 12:09:02 PM »

"Lucky thing it just so happens to be the brightest star in the sky." Well, no!
Quote from: Bruce McClure
Polaris is the North Star
The North Star or Pole Star – aka Polaris – is famous for holding nearly still in our sky while the entire northern sky moves around it. That’s because it’s located nearly at the north celestial pole, the point around which the entire northern sky turns. Polaris marks the way due north. As you face Polaris and stretch your arms sideways, your right hand points due east, and your left hand points due west. About-face of Polaris steers you due south. Polaris is not the brightest star in the nighttime sky, as is commonly believed. It’s only about 50th brightest. But you can find it easily, and, once you do, you’ll see it shining in the northern sky every night, from N. Hemisphere locations. Follow the links below to learn more about Polaris.
From Polaris the Present Day North Star.

"That certainly made navigation for 99% of human history a heck of a lot easier." That depends on how long you mean by 99% of human history, because Polaris has not always been the "North Star" even in recorded times.

Quote from: Bruce McClure
History of Polaris.
Polaris hasn’t always been the North Star and won’t remain the North Star forever. For example, a famous star called Thuban, in the constellation Draco the Dragon, was the North Star when the Egyptians built the pyramids.

But our present Polaris is a good North Star because it’s the sky’s 50th brightest star. So it’s noticeable in the sky. It served well as the North Star, for example, when the Europeans first sailed across the Atlantic over five centuries ago.

And Polaris will continue its reign as the North Star for many centuries to come. It will align most closely with the north celestial pole – the point in the sky directly above Earth’s north rotational axis – on March 24, 2100. The computational wizard Jean Meeus figures Polaris will be 27’09” (0.4525°) from the north celestial pole at that time (a little less than the angular diameter of the moon when at its farthest from Earth).
Same reference.

So, yes Polaris is a very "good" North Star, though I don't know whether to "blame" luck for Polaris being far enough away to stay almost fixed - it is just the way the Universe is constructed.

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2016, 12:24:39 PM »
That's strange, because if I took a picture of the sky I see, the north star is pretty much the only one I can see a lot of nights. I live in a major metro area full of light pollution and could only dream to see the stars as you incredible astronomers that live in the boondocks.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »
That's strange, because if I took a picture of the sky I see, the north star is pretty much the only one I can see a lot of nights. I live in a major metro area full of light pollution and could only dream to see the stars as you incredible astronomers that live in the boondocks.
I'm not an astronomer, so I am going by what they say, but they would have no reason tho try to mislead on something like that.

I am guessing on this, but it is possible that a lot of the brighter stars are seen only in the Southern Hemisphere as we see towards the centre of the solar systems, whereas the Northern Hemisphere sees more towards the rim. So the stars are denser down here. That is something I did notice when moving back here from California -  there simply seemed to be many more stars in the night sky. Apparently it is true, and not just leaving from LA where it's hard to see anything.

Anyway, don't quote me on this - if you are interested you can "Google it", and guess what the star with the greastest apparent brightness is - the Sun.

Rama Set

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2016, 01:02:41 PM »

"Pretty much the only one" implies that there are others.  Some of those others are brighter.  I also live in a major metropolitan center and I can always, barring cloud cover, see Orion, which contains the brightest star, Sirius A.

Offline Round fact

• View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »

You should be able to see the Dog Stars chasing Orion in the evening. In mid August Orion rises around 4 am with Dog Stars right behind it. Google Star Charts. I'll bet you can find one for your specific location what will give you times and directions for where to look

İntikam

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2016, 01:58:50 PM »
I find an argument is only worth having if the opposition is coherent, informed and at least show that they practice what they preach.

If you are a sailor out beyond the site of land you will look for a method of fixing your position from what is available, which pretty much means the sky. If you have ever looked up at the sky you will notice that the nearer you look to the horizon the more the stars move, both through the night and the year, in the northern hemisphere looking up to the north the constellation Ursa major pivots around Polaris, using Rounders analogy of the turntable there will always be one part of the sky that remains stationary, in the north there is a star there, in the south there isn’t, so a “lucky thing” in only 50% of the planet, not much room for a conspiracy there then.

Incidentally, in 320 BC the Greek navigator Pytheas described the celestial pole devoid of stars.
As the stars are not fixed, they move position, Polaris won't be there in a couple of thousand years.

May i accept them as agruments?

If they are, is this show that you find an argument because worth having the opposition is coherent, informed and at least show that they practice what they preach.

Anyway. I see that you don't know the angle of Polaris and the earth axis which number is changing in the range. Ok.  I hope you'll find worth investigating.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2016, 02:50:42 PM »
No, it is presently inclined at +89° 15′ 50.8″
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Round fact

• View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2016, 10:46:54 PM »

Which means that on a FE it should be seen from all locations at night barring cloud cover.

Offline Unsure101

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »

Which means that on a FE it should be seen from all locations at night barring cloud cover.
Yes in the southern hemisphere I've never seen it?!?