Re: Is the Earth really flat?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 04:15:38 PM »
Why not open a thread to demolish them one by one yourself?  It could be fun!

Number 10:

That the mariners' compass points north and south at the same time is a fact as indisputable as that two and two makes four; but that this would be impossible if the thing, were placed on a globe with "north" and "south' at the centre of opposite hemispheres is a fact that does not figure in the school-books, though very easily seen: and it requires no lengthy train of reasoning to bring out of it a pointed proof that the Earth is not a globe.

The sheer idiocy of some of them IS mildly entertaining...

geckothegeek

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
Why not open a thread to demolish them one by one yourself?  It could be fun!

Number 10:

That the mariners' compass points north and south at the same time is a fact as indisputable as that two and two makes four; but that this would be impossible if the thing, were placed on a globe with "north" and "south' at the centre of opposite hemispheres is a fact that does not figure in the school-books, though very easily seen: and it requires no lengthy train of reasoning to bring out of it a pointed proof that the Earth is not a globe.

The sheer idiocy of some of them IS mildly entertaining...

Look up the flat earth definition of the horizon for one. LOL.
And look up the first line of my signature line. LOL

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:01:58 AM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 03:05:23 AM »
... But, I see the sun and moon appear to rise from behind the horizon and set behind the horizon...
This cannot occur on a flat earth. To lose visibility of the Sun on a FE model it must become obscured by either
1) Sinking below the flat plane
2) Switching off
Either of these would result in the entire earth becoming shrouded in darkness simultaneously.

It could be obscured by that or either aether.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:08:08 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 05:27:20 AM »
Hills are, by definition, aberrations in terrain.

Really?  The Dictionary app on my phone defines a hill as "a natural elevation of the warth's surface", not as an aberration.  And in my experience, hills are more common than flat terrain.  Maybe flatness is the aberration?
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 01:49:52 PM »
The Dictionary app on my phone defines a hill as "a natural elevation of the warth's surface", not as an aberration.
Well, that's just embarrassing. Perhaps you should consider using an actual dictionary and not "The Dictionary app on your phone"?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 02:47:07 PM »
The Dictionary app on my phone defines a hill as "a natural elevation of the warth's surface", not as an aberration.
Well, that's just embarrassing. Perhaps you should consider using an actual dictionary and not "The Dictionary app on your phone"?

He confirms Oscar's point anyway by showing that hills are elevations of the Earth's surface so who cares how stupid his source is?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)