Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #860 on: June 24, 2018, 01:36:11 PM »
my roommate bought some mario tennis game for the switch. it's dope af imo imo imho tbqh.
Yeah Tennis Aces looks really fun. I like the gimmicks and special moves.

« Reply #861 on: June 25, 2018, 07:16:57 PM »
my roommate bought some mario tennis game for the switch. it's dope af imo imo imho tbqh.
Yeah Tennis Aces looks really fun. I like the gimmicks and special moves.

lol so i like it less after having played it online a little.  i mean ffs i couldn't even get into a rally.  apparently i am terrible.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 11, 2018, 04:50:59 PM »
I bought a PS4 and have been playing a ton of Monster Hunter: World

Fun game. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get into it, especially knowing it's an online game. But I've been playing solo which works fine and have gotten increasingly more addicted as it goes along.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 19, 2018, 10:37:42 PM »
Been playing Witcher 3, I'm not having much fun with it yet. The combat is taking some getting used to, I can't quite put my finger on what it is that's bothering me exactly, it just feels "floaty". And the story, setting etc. are not drawing me in. The setting seems to be the same bland Mediaeval fantasy I've seen a few hundred times already. I don't have any history with these characters, and while the writing does a good enough job of establishing relationships and so forth, I don't find them particularly compelling. I understand that one of the big draws of the game is the sheer amount of content packed into it, and I'm definitely not giving up on it already, but so far... ehhhhh...

Also what the fuck is up with people saying the same thing every time you go past them? If I hear the recording of the kid singing about Emhyr pissing himself one more time...! On the plus side, it's nice to look at and it runs very smoothly, for an open-world-ish game it's quite refreshing in my experience to see time and care put into optimisation. Oh, also the sudden outbursts of extreme violence in some of the cutscenes is hilariously slapstick-y, which is a definite plus.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 24, 2018, 03:21:37 AM »
Kingdom Come: Deliverance

This game is racist because it has no black people. 0/10

https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/134

Much better.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 30, 2018, 02:49:27 PM »
Beat Saber looked a little okay and I wasn't sure it was worth the $20 price tag, but it's actually a blast and definitely difficult once you put it on hard or expert. It didn't look like very much fun watching someone else play, but once you get going and start slicing the little cubes to the beat of the song, it's worth every penny.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 30, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »
Beat Saber looked a little okay and I wasn't sure it was worth the $20 price tag, but it's actually a blast and definitely difficult once you put it on hard or expert. It didn't look like very much fun watching someone else play, but once you get going and start slicing the little cubes to the beat of the song, it's worth every penny.

Get a nice shoulder workout and practice to be a jedi? Yes please.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 28, 2018, 04:14:08 AM »
Mass Effect 3

We'll skip to the most obvious point first - yes, the ending sucks. It could be worse, of course. I looked up the original ending, and couldn't help but laugh at how nonsensical and bleak it was. Did BioWare even think through the implications of all the mass relays being destroyed? It's emphasized again and again in the games just how important they are to intergalactic travel. Destroying them dooms millions of sapient beings to die of starvation, and billions more to live the rest of their lives essentially stranded from their homes. And ending with the Normandy having crash-landed on some random-ass planet...did they think that was a deep or profound closing shot of the series? It's just as well that I wasn't there when this game first came out. If I had experienced this piping-hot, fresh-from-the-asshole ratshit first-hand, the butthurt would never have faded.

Naturally, the extended ending that they patched the game with after a few months is a major improvement. I don't even really have a problem with the ending cutscene itself. Hey, the relays are damaged, but we can fix them. Everybody's cooperating now, we'll help those who need to find their homes, we'll rebuild our galactic civilization, the crew of the Normandy are mourning Shepard, etc. It doesn't quite fix how weird and unsatisfying the scene before the conclusion is. The ultimate purpose of the Reapers being to resolve conflict between organic and synthetic life doesn't ring true to me, and the controlling intelligence of the Reapers taking the form of a spectral godchild is really, really annoying. It feels like bad philosophical musings, like it was written by a guy who failed philosophy in college. Why couldn't there just be a neutral VI explaining your options?

Unfortunately, the ending is largely representative of the game itself. To put it bluntly, it's a rush job, and we can no doubt thank EA for putting the whips to BioWare so they could shit this out as quickly as possible. Almost all of the optional content that the previous two games included was omitted. There's no more planetary exploration, very few side quests (the majority of which are just scanning a planet to fetch something, or picking up a random item along the way during a story mission), and precious little time given to character development and relationship-building. Characters in the previous games that would give you an elaborate dialogue tree when spoken to now mostly speak in one-liners, or very brief "conversations" where you exchange one or two lines. The Citadel is fucking tiny, too. This franchise was always at its best when it slowed down and showed off more of the way this universe worked and let you get to know the characters you were working with in episodic interludes. Focusing on the apocalyptic main plot like this just isn't playing to its strengths, although it probably was inevitable for the final game in the series.

The main story does have a few bright spots in it. I like the idea of uniting as much of the galaxy as you can, the resolution of issues like the krogan genophage and the quarian-geth struggle were a long time coming, and there were a handful of genuinely poignant moments with some of the returning characters. But the missions themselves, in gameplay terms, usually aren't very interesting. They're awfully long and padded, and there's nothing to break up the monotony of combat, combat, and more combat. Previous games would give you a respite during the mission in the form of you making an important moral choice or exploring a dialogue tree, but here you keep getting told to just sit tight in one area so the game can sling wave after wave of bullet-sponge enemies at you. The previous games did that occasionally, but there's no restraint here. It's too much of an emphasis on action. And the brutes are an obvious rip-off of the Hunters from Halo.

In short, this was a disappointment. It's not a disaster from start to finish, but it's nowhere near as good as the first two games, and makes for a very weak ending to the series.

Incidentally, while I avoided the multiplayer completely, I discovered that you can raise your galactic readiness through this dumb feature. It's better than winding up with the shitty ending, but tying the multiplayer to the game's ending like that was a ridiculous idea to begin with.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 03:46:12 AM by honk »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 30, 2018, 03:29:48 AM »
Vampyr

Reasonably competent hack-and-slash set in early twentieth-century London. You play as a vampire doctor, who must balance his need for blood with his interest in fighting a plague that threatens to overrun the entire city. This is represented in the gameplay as having the option to murder characters for huge amounts of experience, which comes at the price of declining the city's condition even further. It's an interesting dilemma, and I really like how you can maximize your experience by finding all the "clues" about a character that tell you more about who they are. The combat is a blatant ripoff of TW3, down to even having a rough equivalent to Quen, but I guess there are worse games to emulate. Anyway, the game's biggest flaw is the setting. It's dull and gloomy, repetitive, much too small, and most annoyingly of all, presented as a very confusing labyrinth where most passages are gated off. In retrospect it's okay.

Superhot

Superhot is the most innovative shooter I've played in years. The gimmick is that time slows almost to a standstill while you aren't moving, allowing you all the time you need to take in your surroundings, anticipate your enemies' moves, and plan your attack. At the end of every level, you're shown a replay of what just happened in real time, which inevitably makes you feel like the world's greatest badass as you watch yourself dodging bullets, disarming enemies and snatching their weapons from midair, and dispatching foes with maximum efficiency.

The Talos Principle

A fine puzzle game with an interesting level of philosophical depth behind it. As I've mentioned on IRC before, I do dislike one minor feature where a quasi-antagonist engages you in a series of debates on ethics, consciousness, and other heavy subjects. It's not a bad idea, but the problem is that your opponent frequently asks you loaded questions, strawmans any position you put forward, moves the goalposts mid-discussion, and so on - and not only are the dialogue options in these debates very limited, there's also no option to call him out for his blatant logical fallacies. Rushy has argued with me on this point before that the character's fallacious logic is deliberate, and his purpose is to annoy the player rather than challenge their beliefs, but I simply don't believe that was the intention, nor that such an interpretation really fits with the setting. It makes sense in a world where you're grappling with issues of free will and identity that a character like this would be there to have you critically examine your own beliefs and either defend or change them. What doesn't make all that much sense is having a character that's just there to piss you off. I really do hate to be this nitpicky, because I don't think I've ever seen a game that managed to be this thoughtful without also having its head rammed up its ass. It's just a tiny little detail that bothered me.

Katamari Damacy/We Love Katamari

How had I never played this series until now? These games are whimsical, humorous, creative, family-friendly, reasonably challenging without being frustrating, and in general just a wonderfully pleasant and wholesome breath of fresh air. We need more games like this. Stop making games about grim and gritty dark-haired white guys fighting in a grim and gritty world and make more games that are this unique and charming.

Super Mario Sunshine

Not as good as I had hoped or expected. In fact, it's not very good at all. The controls, and in a broader sense, the overall gameplay mechanics, are just too finicky and unintuitive. They've taken a format that was clearly designed for 3D platforming and slapped some light shooter elements on it. The result is a game that feels like you're constantly switching between two modes, so to speak, one for exploring the world and one for properly interacting with it. It's like you have to completely switch focus and get yourself in a different frame of mind whenever you have to spray something, as the smooth controls for platforming go out the window and you have to clumsily manipulate the slow and sluggish FLUDD. Spray the ground beneath you if there's slime there. Respawning enemies are coming at you, better spray them quickly! Now you can focus on your main target - no, wait, you were too slow, now you have to spray the ground again. Here come more enemies! And now you're out of water and have to refill your tank. This is all on top of contending with the awful camera. How did they manage to make it so much worse than it was in 64? And while it's far from the game's biggest problem, I don't think they could have given us worse voice acting if they had tried. Every voiced character sounds like nails on a chalkboard. FLUDD's obnoxious whine is the worst of all. "Mario. Mario. Mario." Did they learn nothing from the reaction to Navi from Ocarina of Time?

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Yes, I hadn't played anything after Melee in this cherished series. Shut up. This was a good next installment, with a great new selection of characters, stages, and items.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 30, 2018, 03:42:14 AM »
Super Mario Sunshine
Not as good as I had hoped or expected. In fact, it's not very good at all.

And this is how we know not to take your review(s) seriously at all...

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: October 30, 2018, 04:10:03 AM »
Super Mario Sunshine
Not as good as I had hoped or expected. In fact, it's not very good at all.

And this is how we know not to take your review(s) seriously at all...

Word on this. Here's more evidence:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
This was a good next installment, with a great new selection of characters, stages, and items.

As a Smash Bros. aficionado, Brawl is easily the worst in the series with its floaty moon gravity and RNG tripping mechanics.

Also, I've been playing Red Dead Redemption 2. It's pretty amazing.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 30, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
Saddam: Did you play Sunshine with analog triggers? It doesn't matter that much or change how awful and terrible your review is regardless, but it makes a big difference in smoothness since you can use FLUDD without locking down into FPS mode with them.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 30, 2018, 03:56:49 PM »
You guys are all blinded by your nostalgia. Go back and play the game. It's not as good as you remember.

Saddam: Did you play Sunshine with analog triggers? It doesn't matter that much or change how awful and terrible your review is regardless, but it makes a big difference in smoothness since you can use FLUDD without locking down into FPS mode with them.

That's helpful for chasing down Shadow Mario, but not much else. You need to precisely aim for most of the things you spray.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 30, 2018, 04:25:17 PM »
inb4 saddam finally plays mario odyssey in 15 years and then tells everyone how bad it is and they are just being nostalgic...

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 30, 2018, 04:26:27 PM »
inb4 saddam finally plays mario odyssey in 15 years and then tells everyone how bad it is and they are just being nostalgic...

I'm pretty sure at this point he could play Mario Odyssey right now and say it's terrible; assuming he manages to read someone else's satirical review about it being terrible first.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 31, 2018, 02:50:52 AM »
I've already played some of Odyssey. It's great, and the cap gimmick feels like a fluid and organic part of the core gameplay, far more so than FLUDD did for Sunshine.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 31, 2018, 08:25:40 AM »
Recently played through Dark Souls again on NG+. Still awesome. Bed of Chaos is still some bullshit. Also I never beat the DLC, Artorias is hard enough on NG, NG+ is a nightmare.

« Reply #877 on: October 31, 2018, 11:54:22 PM »
Madden on PC if anyone wants to get dominated.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 01, 2018, 03:23:37 AM »
You guys are all blinded by your nostalgia. Go back and play the game. It's not as good as you remember.

That's helpful for chasing down Shadow Mario, but not much else. You need to precisely aim for most of the things you spray.

As is the case with a lot of our disagreements in video games, I feel like we played different games. You're quick to whip out "just ur nostalgia" but the last time I played Sunshine, and also beat it, was maybe a year and a half ago. Still think it's a good game. And, no, you definitely don't need to precisely aim for most things. Generally running and spraying or spray explosions or spray hovers or spray spins are more than enough, except for a few of the boss battles. Like, I hate the excuse of "git gud", but...it kind of sounds like you're just not good at the game. Does the camera suck? Sure. Are the controls clunky and unintuitive? I mean, I wouldn't say so, but if your reviews of games are in line with most people's experiences I'm starting to wonder if I might just be preternaturally gifted at video games. Which is scary because a lot of people are way better than me.

Like, it honestly feels a lot of the time like you make your decision on a game in the first ten minutes and then don't even bother trying to adapt or learn how to play on its terms. I'm not saying that's what you do, but how it feels, since you often make odd (to me) complaints that have never been issues for me once I learn the game's controls or mechanics. Sunshine is shockingly graceful (for a GameCube game) once you've got the controls down, and it's a game I always used to love booting up just to get around the levels and find quicker ways to get to areas because of its wonderfully open and lenient mechanics.

But the voice acting is ass, I'll give you that.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:25:11 AM by Snupes »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 01, 2018, 05:53:18 PM »
I have to admit I hadn't given the running and spraying method a fair shake. It does help a lot more than I gave it credit for. I'll give the game another chance.