Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
So if even if you haven't seen something ... you believe it? That my friend, is faith.

If the geiger counter is reading off the scale, I move away. I can't see the radioactivity, but I'm certainly not going to wander through Chernobyl just to see for myself if I get radiation sickness or leukemia.

If the science tells me the water is stagnant, and laden with E-coli or Cholera, I see no reason to test it for myself.

I can't see the pollen, but know when I'm struck by hay fever.

I've never seen Tokyo, Toronto, Rio de Janeiro, or Moscow. Should that lead me to conclude they don't exist?

Faith? Or acceptance of common knowledge?

Man those are weak comparisons, what you proposed are easily experienced and testable.

Not so much moving the goalposts, as getting them to uproot themselves and run around the pitch.

Your original query was not for things which are "easily experienced and testable", but "So if even if you haven't seen something ... you believe it?"
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

So if even if you haven't seen something ... you believe it? That my friend, is faith.

If the geiger counter is reading off the scale, I move away. I can't see the radioactivity, but I'm certainly not going to wander through Chernobyl just to see for myself if I get radiation sickness or leukemia.

If the science tells me the water is stagnant, and laden with E-coli or Cholera, I see no reason to test it for myself.

I can't see the pollen, but know when I'm struck by hay fever.

I've never seen Tokyo, Toronto, Rio de Janeiro, or Moscow. Should that lead me to conclude they don't exist?

Faith? Or acceptance of common knowledge?

Man those are weak comparisons, what you proposed are easily experienced and testable.

Not so much moving the goalposts, as getting them to uproot themselves and run around the pitch.

Your original query was not for things which are "easily experienced and testable", but "So if even if you haven't seen something ... you believe it?"

Yeah think we are getting lost here. What I'm trying to say {maybe not so intelligently} is that things you can test for yourself you can have faith in ... things that you can't test for yourself, i.e. Big Bang, Gravity, Evolution etc ... take huge leaps of faith.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile

You sound like a person who (and I don’t mean to sound offensive) hasn’t taken an interest in what science is up to since you left school, perhaps saw a few articles in a popular paper, but then stumbled across Eric Dubious and his Ilk.
Science is nothing like faith. That you sit there on a computer able to talk around the world didn’t come from prayer, and it won’t be the likes of Duboy that have fashioned a vaccine against Ebola that is being currently employed in the DR Congo. I suggest instead of following snake charmers you look towards perhaps less charismatic but more truthful sources of information and for gods sake cultivate a little discernment.   
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline ElTrancy

• God help and forgive me
    • View Profile
Gravity and Evolution, both testable. Great argument. I can show you how to test both of them.
Please fucking launch a mininuke at me, I've become hopelessly lost.

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
Gav, do you have any evidence to support your side? We've given you sources and evidence which you conveniently rejected for no reason other than you refuse to believe it. But how about you? Do you have any tested, credible, verifiable evidence that hasn't been proven wrong? And not proven wrong by "oh I think this is how it should be" or "oh I don't think it is real because that's what my gut says," no. Proven wrong through experimentation, logic, math, etc.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

You sound like a person who (and I don’t mean to sound offensive) hasn’t taken an interest in what science is up to since you left school, perhaps saw a few articles in a popular paper, but then stumbled across Eric Dubious and his Ilk.
Science is nothing like faith. That you sit there on a computer able to talk around the world didn’t come from prayer, and it won’t be the likes of Duboy that have fashioned a vaccine against Ebola that is being currently employed in the DR Congo. I suggest instead of following snake charmers you look towards perhaps less charismatic but more truthful sources of information and for gods sake cultivate a little discernment.

Oh no, you are misunderstanding me, I think science is great ... testable, repeatable and provable science is absolutely essential. The difference I'm trying to point out is when people put all their faith in what some scientists have said.

You dont sound offensive at all ... just have a wrong impression of me thats all.

Gav, do you have any evidence to support your side? We've given you sources and evidence which you conveniently rejected for no reason other than you refuse to believe it. But how about you? Do you have any tested, credible, verifiable evidence that hasn't been proven wrong? And not proven wrong by "oh I think this is how it should be" or "oh I don't think it is real because that's what my gut says," no. Proven wrong through experimentation, logic, math, etc.

what specific evidence are you after? What evidence do you want me to produce? What I've been shown in this thread is not evidence that proves anything?

Gravity and Evolution, both testable. Great argument. I can show you how to test both of them.

Yeah, would love to know how to do this! .... Lets have it???

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile

But first, so I'm not clumping you with other Flat Earthers, what is your explanation of why things are pulled towards the center of the Earth at a constant speed?

But first, so I'm not clumping you with other Flat Earthers, what is your explanation of why things are pulled towards the center of the Earth at a constant speed?

Not sure what you mean by constant speed, because some things fall faster than others. But, because things are denser than air they fall, if things are less dense than air, like helium, they rise.

Offline edby

• View Profile

Not sure what you mean by constant speed, because some things fall faster than others. But, because things are denser than air they fall, if things are less dense than air, like helium, they rise.
I am sure he means 'constant acceleration'.

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile

I meant acceleration. And density happens because of what? Dun dun dahhh, gravity.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile

Not sure what you mean by constant speed, because some things fall faster than others.

Not in a vacuum, they don't. From which we conclude that air resistance holds larger and lighter objects back, whilst heavier and smaller ones outrun them.
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
Sigh, but air pressure, aka what you need to get rid of to make a vacuum on earth,works because of Gravity...

Not sure what you mean by constant speed, because some things fall faster than others.

Not in a vacuum, they don't. From which we conclude that air resistance holds larger and lighter objects back, whilst heavier and smaller ones outrun them.

Gravity and vacuums are two separate things ... vacuums don't prove gravity. In the real world environment this doesn't happen

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
Vacuums happen because there is no air pressure, which forms a vacuum. Air pressure happens because of Gravity. And please explain constant acceleration on Earth.

Vacuums happen because there is no air pressure, which forms a vacuum. Air pressure happens because of Gravity. And please explain constant acceleration on Earth.

But you are answering all your questions saying ... because of gravity ... just because you say the word gravity doesn't prove gravity

Maybe you should ask Neil Tyson to explain it lol

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
Haha, oh wow, bringing up something that most normal people (RE as you call them) think was not the best way to bring about that.

Haha, oh wow, bringing up something that most normal people (RE as you call them) think was not the best way to bring about that.

I dont call anyone anything, thats what you've been doing