Rama Set

Re: Trump
« Reply #8660 on: March 12, 2021, 02:16:36 PM »
The number of GOP voting rights restriction bills being introduced is so worrying. Even more worrying is the level of cognitive dissonance needed to justify these bills with some version of “more people voting isn’t fair because it will favour democrats”.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: March 12, 2021, 02:38:42 PM »
The worrying part is that they're openly saying as much, too. And the bills are still going through... dismissing any voices of dissent as whiny radical left libtards.

The land of the free - unless you're poor, speak the wrong language, are too tanned, go to the wrong church, or think that getting sick shouldn't bankrupt your family.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8662 on: March 17, 2021, 08:55:35 AM »
Well this is going to be a bit of a dilemma for Tom...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56424614

Former US President Donald Trump has urged his Republican supporters to be vaccinated against Covid-19, saying he would recommend it.
In a TV interview, he said the vaccine was "safe" and "something that works".
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8663 on: March 17, 2021, 09:09:00 AM »
Well this is going to be a bit of a dilemma for Tom...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56424614

Former US President Donald Trump has urged his Republican supporters to be vaccinated against Covid-19, saying he would recommend it.
In a TV interview, he said the vaccine was "safe" and "something that works".

Actually Trump said that he that he also agreed with the people who didn't want to take it.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/16/politics/donald-trump-covid-19-vaccine/index.html

"I would recommend it and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get it and a lot of those people voted for me, frankly," Trump told Fox News' Maria Bartiromo. "But again," he continued, "we have our freedoms and we have to live by that and I agree with that also."

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8664 on: March 17, 2021, 09:11:14 AM »
He agreed with their right to, as do I.
But he recommended people take it, so I guess you're in now?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8665 on: March 17, 2021, 09:14:13 AM »

He didn't say anything about being within rights. Trump said that he thinks its okay and to take it if I want to. And if I don't want to he agrees with me.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 03:56:04 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8666 on: March 17, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »

He didn't say anything about rights. Trump said that he thinks its okay and to take it if I want to. And if I don't want to he agrees with me.
Which part of

"I would recommend it and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get it"

Are you confused about? Yes, he agrees you have a right not to. Again, so do I. But his recommendation about what you should do is clear.
Let me know if you get any side effects.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8667 on: March 17, 2021, 09:20:18 AM »

He didn't say anything about rights. Trump said that he thinks its okay and to take it if I want to. And if I don't want to he agrees with me.
Which part of

"I would recommend it and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get it"

Are you confused about? Yes, he agrees you have a right not to. Again, so do I. But his recommendation about what you should do is clear.
Let me know if you get any side effects.

It doesn't sound that way to me. It sounds more like you are a duplicitous liar and Trump said that he agrees with either view.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8668 on: March 17, 2021, 09:23:15 AM »
It doesn't sound that way to me. It sounds more like you are a duplicitous liar and Trump said that he agrees with either view.

"I would recommend it and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get it...it is a great vaccine. It is a safe vaccine and it is something that works."

How does that sound? Is that unclear, somehow?  :D

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8669 on: March 17, 2021, 09:24:12 AM »

"I would recommend it and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get it...it is a great vaccine. It is a safe vaccine and it is something that works."

Yes, you cut out the part where he said that he agreed with the other view too, showing yourself to be a liar.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8670 on: March 17, 2021, 09:25:27 AM »

Yes, you cut out the part where he said that he agreed with the other view too, showing yourself to be a liar.
Another quote from the article you posted:

"Trump had urged his followers to "go get your shot" during his speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference last month"

Hope your arm doesn't hurt too much afterwards.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: March 17, 2021, 10:06:02 AM »

"Trump had urged his followers to "go get your shot" during his speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference last month"

Trump already said that he agrees with either view. But Trump developed it under his administration, so you can smile and thank Trump when you lefties are getting your Trump vaccines.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: March 17, 2021, 10:48:13 AM »

Trump already said that he agrees with either view. But Trump developed it under his administration, so you can smile and thank Trump when you lefties are getting your Trump vaccines.

I thought it was developed by well established pharmasudical companies from around the world?
Fuck, I'm never getting a Trump vaccine.  Might as well ask me to go to Trump University or eat a Trump Steak.  No wonder you're against it. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #8673 on: March 17, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »

Calling someone a liar then immediately turning around and lying is a weird, weird flex.

AATW wasn’t lying by the way. He made a recommendation to take the vaccine but supported the agency of people who disagree. Supporting people having a different opinion doesn’t mean he didn’t clearly, obviously and explicitly recommend you, yes you Bom, take the vaccine.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: March 17, 2021, 11:32:41 AM »
Trump clearly recommended people take the vaccine, has said it works and that it's safe.
Maybe this is Schrödinger's recommendation where Trump both recommends that people do and don't get the vaccine.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: March 18, 2021, 02:04:36 PM »
Trump said the following, which for Trump is a huge step in the right direction but it's still awful.

"I would recommend it, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get it. And a lot of those people voted for me, frankly. But, you know, again, we have our freedoms and we have to live by that, and I agree with that also"

Lets rephrase that.

"If you see someone having a heart attack I would recommend calling 911 to save their life, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to call 911. And a lot of those people voted for me, frankly. But, you know, again, we have our freedoms and we have to live by that, and I agree with that also"

It's just so hard for him to tell his supporters to do the right thing if it will affect his popularity. He almost managed it, but hard failed in the end. As seen by the reaction of his supporters here, who still flat refuse to do it.

Just for the record, if you see a family member having a heart attack, you should call 911. But if you just let them die, that's ok too. Because we have our freedoms.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: March 18, 2021, 05:32:57 PM »
Trump said the following, which for Trump is a huge step in the right direction but it's still awful.

"I would recommend it, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get it. And a lot of those people voted for me, frankly. But, you know, again, we have our freedoms and we have to live by that, and I agree with that also"

Lets rephrase that.

"If you see someone having a heart attack I would recommend calling 911 to save their life, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to call 911. And a lot of those people voted for me, frankly. But, you know, again, we have our freedoms and we have to live by that, and I agree with that also"

It's just so hard for him to tell his supporters to do the right thing if it will affect his popularity. He almost managed it, but hard failed in the end. As seen by the reaction of his supporters here, who still flat refuse to do it.

Just for the record, if you see a family member having a heart attack, you should call 911. But if you just let them die, that's ok too. Because we have our freedoms.

So your person in your scenario agrees with people not calling 911 when they see someone having a heart attack?

Sounds pretty absurd. Almost as if you are making fallacious analogies to to justify your radical positions.

Rama Set

« Reply #8677 on: March 18, 2021, 05:46:54 PM »
Getting a vaccine is radical?  Nah, you are just being overly dramatic when someone made an analogy to try and clarify.

Really its unnecessary to clarify because anyone but the most dogmatic and biased can see that Trump was recommending the vaccine while respecting people's choice to not take it.  It's really a nothing burger.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: March 18, 2021, 06:14:05 PM »
So your person in your scenario agrees with people not calling 911 when they see someone having a heart attack?
The person agrees with your right not to. But recommends that you do.

The person is clearly not saying that they agree with either course of action. I’m sure you do understand that, it’s strange that you’re pretending not to because Trump is recommending you do something you don’t want to do and you’re trying to pretend he isn’t.

There’s a certain irony that you’ve been lapping up Trump’s bullshit for years, the first sensible thing he says and you’re trying to pretend he didn’t say it.

Rama Set

« Reply #8679 on: March 18, 2021, 06:18:13 PM »
It makes perfect sense in the light of someone with a fragile world view trying to reconcile irreconcilable differences.