İntikam

Why don't cell phones work on airplanes at 30,000 ft?
« on: September 08, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »
A simple question for beginners.  :)

Re: Why don't cell phones work on airplanes at 30,000 ft?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 04:17:37 PM »
Cell phone towers are on the ground... If you do a little research you'll find a much better explanation.
Have you ever noticed that when you're using the GPS on your phone it will still work even if you don't have cell service? Because the GPS is using satellites not the towers.
Planes use GPS to navigate...
How would GPS work without satellites?

İntikam

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 06:54:09 PM »
Cell phone towers are on the ground... If you do a little research you'll find a much better explanation.
Have you ever noticed that when you're using the GPS on your phone it will still work even if you don't have cell service? Because the GPS is using satellites not the towers.

GPS don't work on center of oceans and desolate areas as big deserts.

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 07:08:20 PM »
As far as I know a GPS device works anywhere in the world. Do you have an article or source I can check out?

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:43:45 PM »
As far as I know a GPS device works anywhere in the world. Do you have an article or source I can check out?

There are 2 types of GPS. GPS is supposedly run by the 31 Air Force controlled satellites that each orbit the earth 2x a day. This is a free service to the world and only non-cellular devices use this system (ie...Garmin, etc.) aGPS or Assisted GPS is triangulated using cell towers which is why it is quicker and less accurate. Phones don't use the satellites, they use the cell towers and there's a fee to use the aGPS system.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 08:19:37 PM »
Incorrect. Assisted GPS is for fast estimates of current location, while the actual GPS chip obtains a satellite fix. People who work with embedded programming will know this is simply a boolean value set to true (FIX) when the chip is receiving from at least 3 satellites.

To repeat, the assisted GPS functionality is a temporary service giving fairly precise (but rough, compared to a GPS fix) estimates of your location until the chip has a FIX status.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 08:28:30 PM »
And, depending on the cell towers, GSM communication simply doesn't work for two reasons at those altitudes:

1. Cell tower transmitters and receivers are placed in a 3 x 120° configuration, angled slightly downwards to give optimal signal strength. This is why it's nearly impossible to obtain a signal from a cell tower if you stand right at it. These are the most common configurations.

2. Another fairly common configuration are with omni-directional receivers and transmitters. Those are usually used in areas with a very uneven landscape. You're actually able to communicate full duplex with them at 30,000 feet. Problem is that it's nearly impossible to only register with one cell-tower which renders the service invalid. IMEI numbers are as a standard blocked from the service when there's a handshake from multiple towers from the same device.

(I've been working with telecom tech for 9 years)
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 06:28:19 AM »

You were wrong last time you said that, you will be wrong the next time you say it and wrong every time you say it!
Just note:
An incorrect statement does not become correct by multiple repetitions, it just makes the person saying it look more and more foolish.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 07:18:53 PM »
I'm guessing I won't be getting a source for the claim GPS doesn't work in the middle of the ocean or deserts.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/gnss/gps/howitworks/

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 07:36:11 PM »
Incorrect.  I served for several years on US Navy ships, which operate for long periods "on center of oceans" and we had very reliable GPS.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 03:23:46 AM »
A simple question for beginners.  :)

Who, other than yourself, is saying they don't work at 30,000 feet?

You were soundly beat down when your "knowledge" of television transmit/receive systems was shown to be lacking and you're now turning to cell phone transmit/receive systems?

Do you not understand that television, radio and cell phones operate on the same principals?

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 04:16:59 AM »
I don't think İntikam knows the answer to his own question!

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 06:14:31 AM »
I don't think İntikam knows the answer to his own question!

Come on İntikam, we desparately need to know "Why don't cell phones work on airplanes at 30,000 ft?"

Offline pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 09:53:19 AM »

Yes you a right. GPS works everywhere. Deserts and Oceans.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 07:17:41 PM »
Another hole Intikam dug for himself!! He has no clue.