Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: Why earth is flat
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 01:35:25 AM »
Why is earth flat?
By this I mean:
What distinct observation supports the idea that earth is flat, and remember that if the observation can be explained by something else then it can not be a valid scientific hypothese.

Well, I look down, I see a flat Earth, I have no reason to believe it is not flat.  It is up to you to provide evidence that the Earth is not flat.  Just remember that if the observation can be explained by something else then it can not be a valid scientific hypothesis.

I don't know how much experience these persons who call themselves "True Flat Earth Believers" have had or what kind of work or profession they are in. If they are only basing their belief in "What I see out my window"  then I can see why they might believe the earth was flat. If they have gone no further than this, their belief might be understandable.

I base my belief in a flat Earth on the fact that it is what I have always observed, under all circumstances.  If you are able to provide solid proof that my senses are deceiving me, please go ahead.  The onus is on you to prove that I am wrong because you are the one making the claim that defies direct observation.  As yet among the thousands of REers who have come to this website and its sister site @ theflataearthsociety.org and tried to prove the Earth is not flat, not a single one has been able to do so.  If you can prove the Earth is round, please do so, rather than simply saying you are able to do so.  It might be more convincing.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:17:49 PM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

geckothegeek

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 03:10:37 AM »
Why is earth flat?
By this I mean:
What distinct observation supports the idea that earth is flat, and remember that if the observation can be explained by something else then it can not be a valid scientific hypothese.

Well, I look down, I see a flat Earth, I have no reason to believe it is not flat.  It is up to you to provide evidence that the Earth is not flat.  Just remember that if the observation can be explained by something else then it can not be a valid scientific hypothesis.

I don't know how much experience these persons who call themselves "True Flat Earth Believers" have had or what kind of work or profession they are in. If they are only basing their belief in "What I see out my window"  then I can see why they might believe the earth was flat. If they have gone no further than this, their belief might be understandable.

I base my belief in a flat Earth on the fact that it is what I have always observed, under all circumstances.  If you are able to provide solid proof that my senses are deceiving me, please go ahead.  The onus is on you to prove that I am wrong because you are the one making the claim that defies direct observation.  As yet among the thousand of REers who have come to this website and its sister site @ theflataearthsociety.org and tried to prove the Earth is flat, not a single one has been able to do so.  If you can prove the Earth is round, please do so, rather than simply saying you are able to do so.  It might be more convincing.

In the real world of reality, there is no question that the earth is the globular shape that it is. I think it would really be more to your interests to ask the question to those in the fields of geodesy for a start rather than just persons on this website  . The earth was believed to be flat in primitive times, but there has been no question for centuries that the earth is a globe. Even elementary school children are aware of the fact. And this "Round Earth Conspiracy Theory" has been likened by some as possibly some form of paranoia .  Only the Flat Earth Society thinks the world is a flat disc. It is as simple as that. Ask around and see what you discover. However I think that maybe some persons are just playing along with a game and no more really believe in a flat earth than any average person.

Question about but what you have observed.:  Have you ever been to sea ?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:13:58 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 06:34:29 AM »

Certainly.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

geckothegeek

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »

Certainly.

If you have ever been to sea.:
Did you ever ask the captain or any member of the crew of the ship if the earth was a flat disc or a round globe ?
Did you ever ask them if the charts and maps they used for navigation were made from flat earth maps or if they were made from projections of a round globe ?
Did you ever observe the horizon ?
If so did you observe whether it was  a distinct line where the sea and the sky met ?
Or if so did you observe whether it was just an indistinct blur which faded away in the distance ?
Did you ever observe ships or land passing over and beyond the horizon ?
If you did. Did you ever try to "recover" or bring them back into view with a telescope or binoculars after they had passed over the horizon ?
If so did.. Did  you ever discover you could or could not do this ?
Did you ever observe that the observed distance to the horizon increased the higher you were - on an upper deck for example as opposed to a lower deck ?
From these did you ever observe that the earth was round ?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:14:44 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline wtbofnc

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »
Common Sense is NOT common... You do not need a degree in rocket science to know that the higher you climb from the earth's surface the horizon stays at "eye level".  You do not need a degree in Astro physics to understand that the earth should curve 8 inches every mile...     You don't need to be a genius to realize that when you are standing on the beach with binoculars, you should not be able to see an entire lighthouse including the shoreline below it 20 miles from your location....   Wake up people....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 04:52:40 PM by wtbofnc »

Christer Fuglesang

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »

Dear Mr 'wtbofnc' (m/f),

Please read carefully what you just wrote, and carefully read it again. You're not doing the FE-society a favor here. Just saying.

Cheers & thanks

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 09:19:15 PM »

Dear Mr 'wtbofnc' (m/f),

Please read carefully what you just wrote, and carefully read it again. You're not doing the FE-society a favor here. Just saying.

Cheers & thanks

If you have nothing to contribute, please refrain from posting in the upper fora. Low content posting is not allowed. Consider this a warning.

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 08:13:42 PM »
The earth is flat because : nobody has ever crossed Antarctica from one side to the other

No one has ever crossed Antarctica because it gigantic, one of the biggest continents on Earth and it is also the most inhospitable place on the earth. There is no place on earth where the weather is as hostile as Antarctica.

the logo of the UN is of the flat earth map, as soon as Admiral Byrd discovered the wall and land in Antarctica, it was closed off to the public and is guarded by the world's military. 

There was soon after and international treaty singed by the worlds nations that no country's military could claim Antarctica
A decade later, the DOD created NASA to be the gatekeeper to the sky.  Since the founding of NASA, true investigation of the sky was almost impossible by amateurs.  Until the advent of affordable equipment. 

It was almost impossible because no one could afford equipment, and the reason it was so expensive was because it was brand new. Imagine if someone invented a jetpack. It would be manufactured and sold at prices of upwards of $100,000, but as the years passed, and newer and better jetpacks were being created, the original model would drop in price, the same reason you can walk into a cellphone store and buy one of those nokia candy bar phones for less than $20.

The fact so many "photos" of NASA are clearly photoshopped, pasted and fake or paintings is also more evidence they are hiding the true earth from us. 

They are not photoshopped. They would be obligated to tell us if they were and just because you see something so magnificent like an image of a nebula or a super nova, it does not mean that it is photoshopped! The truth is that there are many things in the universe we cannot explain, but it does not mean that we cant keep trying and that what we do know is fake.

Amateur rockets and weather balloons have shown a completely different universe than that of NASA.  What we can see on these untouched videos is : a flat earth edge that is eye level, and no stars and a very close sun with a spotlight below it. 

What videos show that? How can a weather balloon video show no stars? And don't you think that if the sun was as close as you people believe it to be, that we would be incinerated by the heat that nuclear fusion produces?

Prior to the age of affordable computers and high definition cameras, such research was almost impossible.

Like I said before, the equipment was too expensive for the common folk to afford because it was new, it does not mean that it was a cover up or anything from the government. Its basic merchandising techniques.

We can see Chicago from 59 miles away on Lake Michigan, which is impossible on a globe.  The fact people in Australia can see the moon at the SAME TIME as people in America (which is supposed to be on the other side of the ball).  These basic facts are plenty of evidence for a flat earth.

I have just debunked all of your "evidence" and I will do so for this last point. What you are seeing of Chicago, is just the refraction of the light it reflects by the earths atmosphere, which is thick enough to act like a lens, bending the light to make it visible over long distances. As for Australia and America, they both experience the same night, and everyone has a 180 degree of vision. This combined with the fact that the moon not always has the same positioning because of seasons, sometimes putting it is a place where both America and Australia can see it during the night, shows that just because you and a few people cant explain something, doesnt mean that the earth is fucking flat.

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 11:16:25 PM »
The earth is flat because : nobody has ever crossed Antarctica from one side to the other

No one has ever crossed Antarctica because it gigantic, one of the biggest continents on Earth and it is also the most inhospitable place on the earth. There is no place on earth where the weather is as hostile as Antarctica.

I love ripping apart this argument...

2 simple steps..

the average wind speed is typically less than 14 km per hour, with the peak winds rarely over 40 km per hour.

Source: arc.nasa.gov

And for the icing on the cake:

Looks like a real hostile environment there! And this is the supposed South Pole! So hostile....

Watching Discovery Channel and the History Channel does NOT make you an expert on anything!

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 04:10:36 PM »

I love ripping apart this argument...

2 simple steps..

the average wind speed is typically less than 14 km per hour, with the peak winds rarely over 40 km per hour.

Source: arc.nasa.gov

And for the icing on the cake:

Looks like a real hostile environment there! And this is the supposed South Pole! So hostile....

Watching Discovery Channel and the History Channel does NOT make you an expert on anything!

You literally have the logic of a 4 year old child. You call out NASA for all of their pictures being "fake" and "photoshopped", but you try to prove an argument with that piece of shit photo? How do you know that isn't photoshop? If it isn't, it was probably a research team there who did that as a joke. Besides, just because its sunny, doesn't mean that the place isn't hostile or inhospitable. Antarctica has the coldest recorded temperature of all time (source: http://wmo.asu.edu/world-lowest-temperature). Not to mention that it is a desert, with only an average of 20cm of precipitation or less per year (source:http://uncw.edu/tc/antarctica/weather_in_antarctica.htm). Not to mention, the extremely low absolute humidity that the entire continent has because of its cold weather, which leads to dry skin and cracked lips very quickly, making journeys very inconvenient with eventual frostbite after a while like that without proper clothing. The size of it speaks for itself as why traversing Antarctica would be so difficult. Adding onto that, imagine how much food and supplies one would have to bring to make a trans-antarctic journey. The supplies alone would require an animal or some other means to transport it, but car engines do not function in that extreme cold and no animal big enough to transport supplies has evolved to withstand the temperatures of Antarctica. All that coupled together proves my point of why Antarctica is so hostile.

By the way, you just poked a huge hole in the FET. You just saw a picture of the south pole which lies at the bottom of the world. If the earth was flat, where would the south pole be? Would the entire edge of the world be the south pole? if so, how hard would it have been for them to look over the edge? I'm sure that if they did that there would be some sort of document on that and there would be some form of exploration of the "other side of the ice wall", but since that has never hit world news headlines, I'm sure that this will take some explanation.

By the way, the link you posted for your source on wind speeds in Antarctica just takes me to the home page of the AMES research center, which is in the middle of California, not in Antarctica, so please do post the actual link you got the info from.