Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: President Joe Biden
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2021, 05:45:32 PM »
America is putting in more than you too. The argument revolving around the world's desire to loot America isn't a good one to prove that the world knows what's best for America.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2021, 06:03:34 PM »
America is putting in more than you too. The argument revolving around the world's desire to loot America isn't a good one to prove that the world knows what's best for America.
I don’t know who you’re arguing with here.
It doesn’t seem to be me as you’re arguing against things I haven’t said.
But thankfully we now have a President who understands that climate change is a serious issue which demands a response.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2021, 06:06:59 PM »

Looting America?

We out consume every country on this planet per capita.

“With less than 5 percent of world population, the U.S. uses one-third of the world's paper, a quarter of the world's oil, 23 percent of the coal, 27 percent of the aluminum, and 19 percent of the copper,”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/american-consumption-habits/

But I'm guessing that's all liberal lies...

Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2021, 06:07:49 PM »
Developing solutions that are too expensive or too complicated to implement is an exercise in futility.

This is why money needs to be set aside to assist up and coming countries build around more sustainable tech and infrastructure that is (currently) too expensive for them to implement on their own.

We've all been guilty of the exact same thing AATW describes at some point, but persistence of that idea is what will hold us back.

Should the US be forced to pay the most? Absolutely not. But can it justify sitting on the side and playing by it's own set of rules? Fuck no.

Take global warming (the over-politicised part of it) and look at it from a pollution and public health point of view. The economics of taking positive action rapidly start to work out favorably at all scales, from local to global.

The best time time to take action was years ago, the second best time is today. Stupid clichés stick for a reason...

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2021, 06:22:36 PM »
No. China is the biggest polluter regardless of whether they had 1 person in their country or 3 billion.

Why should the US pay more than the largest polluter on earth?

It's not a question of financials. It's a question of America working with its friends and allies, not being selfish and turning its back on them.

To extend my analogy above; if America stops peeing in the pool, the pool will be cleaner. There may be others still peeing, those who we cannot persuade, but if enough of us, including America, stop doing this, then we will have a cleaner pool. And we all want a cleaner pool, don't we?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2021, 06:24:03 PM »

Looting America?

We out consume every country on this planet per capita.

“With less than 5 percent of world population, the U.S. uses one-third of the world's paper, a quarter of the world's oil, 23 percent of the coal, 27 percent of the aluminum, and 19 percent of the copper,”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/american-consumption-habits/

But I'm guessing that's all liberal lies...

I don't see why consuming more should have anything to do with why someone should use an unfair level of their resources to clean up other countries.

If I go to Costco more often than you to buy home cleaning supplies am I therefore responsible for your maid service because you live like a pig and are unwilling to clean your own house?

In a Home Owner's Association everyone is responsible for maintaining the exterior of their own homes under the same regulation. Why should the regulation between the US and China be any different?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:31:37 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2021, 06:30:57 PM »
'Looting' America for what? If America spends on climate improvement, America and the rest of the world gets a cleaner planet. You do want that, don't you?

What do you see as being looted? Do you think America's expenditure on this simply drops into other's pockets, like some extra disposable income, for spending on leisure goods?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:33:46 PM by Tumeni »

Nearly?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2021, 06:53:08 PM »
China is perfectly capable of taxing its companies and setting regulations to clean up their pollution. There is zero reason for America to provide its public funds to provide maid service to other countries.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:57:31 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2021, 06:55:41 PM »
If I go to Costco more often than you to buy home cleaning supplies am I therefore responsible for your maid service because you live like a pig and are unwilling to clean your own house?

In a Home Owner's Association everyone is responsible for maintaining the exterior of their own homes under the same regulation. Why should the regulation between the US and China be any different?
You understand we all live on the same street, right? So you guys throwing garbage around blows all over the street and we all suffer.

The fact that there are other jerks on the street making it less nice doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do your bit. Maybe, as you like to think of yourself as the “Best Country on Earth” you should be setting an example.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2021, 07:04:39 PM »

You understand we all live on the same street, right? So you guys throwing garbage around blows all over the street and we all suffer.

The fact that there are other jerks on the street making it less nice doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do your bit. Maybe, as you like to think of yourself as the “Best Country on Earth” you should be setting an example.

Your examples say that countries should be responsible for themselves.

If I am tossing garbage into the streets why should it be your responsibility to follow me around and clean up for me? It's my responsibility to appropriately dispose of my own garbage, obviously.

People should be responsible for themselves and operate under the same regulation. Your own example says that the US is not responsible for China.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2021, 07:13:53 PM »
If I am tossing garbage into the streets why should it be your responsibility to follow me around and clean up for me? It's my responsibility to appropriately dispose of my own garbage, obviously.

... why wouldn't you want to join an association that teams up amongst the neighbours to help everybody pick up the garbage?

We're all on the same street (= We're all on the same planet)

People should be responsible for themselves and operate under the same regulation. Your own example says that the US is not responsible for China.

There might be one person on the street who doesn't want to join in, and still casts their garbage, but don't you think the street would be a better place if the decent folks got together and cleaned up what they can?

Nearly?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2021, 07:24:55 PM »
There might be one person on the street who doesn't want to join in, and still casts their garbage, but don't you think the street would be a better place if the decent folks got together and cleaned up what they can?

If the person doesn't want to join in then they get fined for littering. That's usually how it works.

Decent folks are already taking care of themselves and their own environment. It would be unfair to extend that responsibility to others when they are already responsible for themselves.

Rama Set

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2021, 08:10:42 PM »
America is making a lot of money off of the pollution they create, which is substantial  Obviously they should be one of the biggest contributors to any fund of this nature.

Maybe you should try breathing the air in a large city in the US versus a large city in China before making such an atrocious statement.

China is also a big polluter and should also be contributing substantial amounts.  These are not exclusive ideas and you trying to play this whataboutism is pretty pathetic.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2021, 08:27:51 PM »
Your examples say that countries should be responsible for themselves.

I never said the US is responsible for China.
Why do you keep arguing against a position I am not stating?

I do think counties are responsible for their own mess. I do also think that international cooperation on this issue is a good thing.
These are not contradictory ideas.

And countries who can afford to should probably contribute a bit more to that collective effort. Especially a country who like to think of themselves as the “Best Country in The World”. Shouldn’t you be setting an example?

Rama Set

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2021, 09:04:32 PM »
It’s also relevant that some pollution spreads itself past political boundaries, so some of the US’s mess (and China’s and Canada’s; everyone’s) is the the globe’s problem

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2021, 10:23:11 PM »
You know what happens when people throw garbage into the streets?
The community pays a bunch of people to drive through and pick it up.  Maybe fine the one throwing it into the street as good measure, telling him to put it next to the street for easy pickup like everyone else.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2021, 10:28:29 PM »
If the person doesn't want to join in then they get fined for littering. That's usually how it works.

Decent folks are already taking care of themselves and their own environment. It would be unfair to extend that responsibility to others when they are already responsible for themselves.

So you accept that the one who does not join in is the bad guy, then? If they get fined .....   Doesn't your America want to be one of the good guys?

Here's the thing; you don't get your "own" environment. We all share it, It's planet-wide. You can't make your sh*t stop at your own border.

Just like the street; once the garbage,whether that's litter, overflowing drains, fallout from fires, etc. hits the (city-owned) street, everyone shares the bill for cleaning it up, through taxes and utility bills. Those who dodge out of this are the bad guys. Is that who you want to be?

Nearly?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2021, 11:57:43 PM »
The President of the United States can’t even keep 435 viewers watching and sticking around until the end of his speech on the official White House YouTube channel.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:09:46 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2021, 12:01:48 AM »
The President of the United States can’t even pull 435 viewers on the official White House YouTube channel.

IMG

So what? It could be reasonably argued that gaining social media numbers is not a key indicator of his performance.

Nearly?

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2021, 02:03:55 AM »
I just think it's refreshing having a president that isn't obsessed with his own celebrity.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)