Offline stack

• View Profile
Re: Coronavirus Vaccine and You
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2021, 08:22:56 PM »
Just an FYI, to date, approximately 95m people have been vaccinated worldwide.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2021, 10:09:29 PM »
So you having a low, but not even close to zero chance of catching it means you think it's fine to be selfish and spread it to other people who will die from it?
You're acting like if Thork doesn't have the vaccine he'll be licking lamp-posts to make sure he catches Covid and then going into care homes to cough in people's faces.

If most people have the vaccine then surely the rate of infection will be quite low in the population anyway, which makes the chances of non-vaccinated people getting it lower. And if they do get it then because most vulnerable people will be vaccinated the chances of them catching it from someone who isn't vaccinated will be low.

To be clear, I'm not saying I won't have it. I am saying I think it's crossing a line to mandate it. A line I don't think a government should be crossing.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2021, 11:03:24 PM »
So you having a low, but not even close to zero chance of catching it means you think it's fine to be selfish and spread it to other people who will die from it?
You're acting like if Thork doesn't have the vaccine he'll be licking lamp-posts to make sure he catches Covid and then going into care homes to cough in people's faces.

If most people have the vaccine then surely the rate of infection will be quite low in the population anyway, which makes the chances of non-vaccinated people getting it lower. And if they do get it then because most vulnerable people will be vaccinated the chances of them catching it from someone who isn't vaccinated will be low.

To be clear, I'm not saying I won't have it. I am saying I think it's crossing a line to mandate it. A line I don't think a government should be crossing.

If enough people are like Thork and don't get vaccinated, then we won't reach the levels required to stop it and it will continue to spread and kill people.

If Thork was the only one not taking it I wouldn't care, but we run the very real risk that enough people like him will refuse and we will fail to contain it.

Remember, one person can spread it to dozens, and then hundreds. Just a single unvaccinated person can spread it far enough to where you have people dying.

And yeah, I honestly don't have any confidence at all he wouldn't intentionally spread it if he thinks he personally won't suffer.  He's already willing to avoid it and put peoples lives at risk, so that's not out of character at all.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2021, 11:06:31 PM »

Yes, there is a distinct chance that is exactly what he will be doing.

What governments are "mandating" it? I'm not aware of that happening here in the US. In the UK?

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2021, 02:20:30 AM »
it's just ThE fLu

Kid was projected to be a star. Hope he makes it through and gets a chance to take his shot in the bigs.

It's not just an old person's disease. This kid is one example of many where someone in their physical prime is completely derailed by the effects of covid.

Death rates are low, infections are high, complications are common and can be terrible.

Please consider getting the vaccine when it is available to you.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2021, 08:18:18 AM »
If enough people are like Thork and don't get vaccinated, then we won't reach the levels required to stop it and it will continue to spread and kill people.
Kill who? People who chose not to be vaccinated? That's their choice, huh? And they made the same choice as me so they can hardly complain.

If Thork was the only one not taking it I wouldn't care, but we run the very real risk that enough people like him will refuse and we will fail to contain it.
Contain it from whom? If everyone who wants a vaccine can have one, what is the problem?

Remember, one person can spread it to dozens, and then hundreds.
Oh yes, I should bear in mind how a virus works. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Just a single unvaccinated person can spread it far enough to where you have people dying.
Spread it to who? Other unvaccinated people who CHOSE not to be vaccinated ... probably because they realise they aren't at risk in the first place?

And yeah, I honestly don't have any confidence at all he wouldn't intentionally spread it if he thinks he personally won't suffer.  He's already willing to avoid it and put peoples lives at risk, so that's not out of character at all.
I'd cough all over you in a heart beat.  >:(

It's not just an old person's disease. This kid is one example of many where someone in their physical prime is completely derailed by the effects of covid.

Death rates are low, infections are high, complications are common and can be terrible.

Please consider getting the vaccine when it is available to you.
This is like saying ... "Young people can be killed in car accidents. Please don't drive." ... we haven't banned cars. I'm not interested in edge cases. This kid is in the news because what happened to him is so rare. Literally no one would report that I grew a sunflower in my garden last year. But, if that sunflower was 30 feet tall, suddenly I get to sit on a sofa with Phillip and Holly because my sunflower is so rare in its hugeness.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2021, 09:31:48 AM »
Contain it from whom? If everyone who wants a vaccine can have one, what is the problem?

Not everyone who wants one can get one, and the vaccine isn't 100% effective, none are.  So you can still spread it to others. That's the problem.

The problem is being selfish can kill people.  Some of us understand that and actually care about other people.

Rama Set

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2021, 11:10:00 AM »
Thork still doesn’t want to accept that some of the people at the highest risk of complications from COVID can’t take the vaccine, and/or the vaccine won’t work as effectively for them due to compromised immune systems. In his mind they should just be content to never come in to contact with the outside world.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2021, 01:32:05 PM »
Quote from: British government
Can you give COVID-19 to anyone if you have had the vaccine?
We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus
Source

That's how little they know about these vaccines or if they even work very well. I could take the vaccine and still infect people. My taking the vaccine or not has no bearing on anyone else at all.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2021, 01:42:59 PM »
As long as you're not one of these asshats....

Not wanting to get the vaccine is one thing, but stopping others from getting vaccinated just seems a bit.... crazy

Rama Set

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2021, 02:07:58 PM »
I could take the vaccine and still infect people.

Welcome to literally every vaccine ever.

My taking the vaccine or not has no bearing on anyone else at all.

Welcome to literally every Dunning-Kreuger, ever.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2021, 02:11:28 PM »
I could take the vaccine and still infect people. My taking the vaccine or not has no bearing on anyone else at all.

Your not taking the vaccine makes you ignorant and selfish, and puts others in danger.  Congratulations, you're a terrible person.

Rama Set

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2021, 02:17:34 PM »
I could take the vaccine and still infect people. My taking the vaccine or not has no bearing on anyone else at all.

Your not taking the vaccine makes you ignorant and selfish, and puts others in danger. 

To be fair, the first two qualities precipitated not taking the vaccine. I think it’s fair that people are wary of a pharmaceutical that was rushed through approval. It’s an industry that has shat on the public enough times that it’s a logical knee-jerk. It’s Thork’s dogmatic persona that is difficult to sympathize with alongside his basic misunderstanding of how vaccine’s work or how viruses spread.

Congratulations, you're a terrible person.

He is.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2021, 02:18:40 PM »

I am responding to ignorant comments such as
Not everyone who wants one can get one, and the vaccine isn't 100% effective, none are.  So you can still spread it to others. That's the problem.

The problem is being selfish can kill people.  Some of us understand that and actually care about other people.

JSS seems to think if I get vaccinated, it stops me spreading the disease. It doesn't. He says I'm selfish. He's wrong. Me being vaccinated or not only effects one person ... me. And I have weighed the risk ... practically zero from covid ... against a vaccine that is unlicensed where the manufacturer accepts zero liability where those same manufacturers are unable to answer very basic questions about their drug at this point in time ... and I think I'm best off just giving this a swerve. It is easy to get caught up in mass hysteria but if you can keep your head whilst all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you ... you will be a man, my son.

Rama Set

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2021, 02:35:02 PM »

I am responding to ignorant comments such as

JSS seems to think if I get vaccinated, it stops me spreading the disease.

He literally said:
...the vaccine isn't 100% effective, none are.  So you can still spread it to others.

So literally what in the fuck are you talking about?

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2021, 03:11:13 PM »
If the vaccine doesn't stop me spreading the disease ... why the fuck do you want me to take it?  >o<

It is like talking to a bunch of pre-schoolers.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2021, 03:13:57 PM »
If the vaccine doesn't stop me spreading the disease ... why the fuck do you want me to take it?  >o<

We don't want you to die.

Also, contact spreading is a thing. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2021, 03:25:13 PM »
Well now I know you are lying.

Nope. I'm not explaining it again. You have sources, you have the reasoned arguments. Read it again or just let it die. I'm not taking the vaccine. I have sound reasoning for this. I've explained it. Finito.

Rama Set

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2021, 03:28:48 PM »

If you acknowledge that you accused JSS of holding a position when he explicitly expressed the opposite, we can move on to this.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2021, 04:27:03 PM »
Well now I know you are lying.
Every family needs a creepy, grumpy uncle.  You're it. :P

Nope. I'm not explaining it again. You have sources, you have the reasoned arguments. Read it again or just let it die. I'm not taking the vaccine. I have sound reasoning for this. I've explained it. Finito.

I'm not trying to argue about taking the vaccine.  Just saying that, from a legal standpoint, a vaccine will not stop you from spreading it via contact.  Ie you touch an infected handle then touch someone's hand who then picks their nose.  So its not effective at stopping the spread (if that spread is contact).
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.