Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
junker gets a new phone 2018 edition
« on: October 03, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »
So I have a bad relationship with phones if you have followed the meme threads over the past few years (I buy new phones, then return them and go back to my iPhone 6). I didn't even bother updating the thread last year after I got a Note 8. But, I returned that. I tried an HTC 10 again (even though I already did that in 2016), gave it away. Ended up getting an iPhone X. Had that for a few months and sold it. Got a Note 8 again, as I got a sweet deal on it. Sold it after a month. Got an iPhone 8+ in Red, returned it. My old iPhone 6 needed some replacement parts so I decided just to get a 6s to tide me over, returned that (bought the parts, fixed my 6).

Autumn of 2018 is when the nonsense finally stops. I am getting a new phone and sticking to it no matter what*. I've narrowed my list down and will make the final decision this month. The contenders are:

Google Pixel 3 (not the meme XL)
Apple iPhone XR
Samsung Note 9
OnePlus 6T

* For at least one year+

+I reserve the right to change my mind at anytime

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: junker gets a new phone 2018 edition
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 09:23:34 PM »
Being as you have apple and android choices ... I'm guessing you don't have a store account full of paid apps.  :-B

This means you probably don't use apps very much.  :-B

This will include games and fancy software.  :-B

This means you don't need a flagship phone.  :-B

This means you are only buying a flagship phone because you are worried about what other people think when you pull your phone out.  :-B

I gave up on expensive phones a long time ago. All I use a phone for is calling people, texting and checking my e-mails. I don't even use social media on them ... but then I'm not glued to my phone like many people. Personally I'd get a phone running on KaiOS like the Nokia 3310. Its all I need. + it has snake.

But if you like flagship phones, CAT make a pretty cool flagship phone and the bastard is indestructible. It even has a laser distance measurer and a thermal imaging camera ... which I guess could be used to look at women's tits. ??? Somehow it even measures air quality and tell you when you are being poisoned. Oh, and the battery on those things last forever. Its CAT. They have a boner for rugged tools.
https://www.catphones.com/en_gb/cat-s61-smartphone.html

If I wanted a flagship phone, that's the one I'd get, and then I wouldn't have to worry about dropping it.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:35:44 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 09:45:42 PM »
Being as you have apple and android choices ... I'm guessing you don't have a store account full of paid apps.  :-B
I have quite a few in both stores (games). Don't play games much anymore, though.

This means you probably don't use apps very much.  :-B
I have about 25 apps I use on a regular basis.

This means you don't need a flagship phone.  :-B
Aside from a flagship camera, I don't need a flagship phone.

This means you are only buying a flagship phone because you are worried about what other people think when you pull your phone out.  :-B
lmao no. If that were the case I wouldn't still be using this run-down, dented iPhone 6 that I have been rocking for 4 years now (replaced the screen/digitizer twice, battery, and the lighting/3.5mm assembly). I am going to get a flagship primarily for the camera and hopefully decent OS support (updates).

But if you like flagship phones, CAT make a pretty cool flagship phone and the bastard is indestructible.
Yes, I have seen the meme CAT phones. They are pretty cool. But no.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 09:50:51 PM »
The Huawei P20 Pro has a 40mp camera.

That is all. I know nothing more about phones.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 09:52:24 PM »
Why did you return all those phones?  Even the 6s which is basically the 6.

The Huawei P20 Pro has a 40mp camera.

That is all. I know nothing more about phones.

Didn't you write apps for iPhones?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »

Excellent question. Call it a hobby.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 09:58:23 PM »
Didn't you write apps for iPhones?
Haven't done a bespoke app for donkey's. Its all web apps now or websites that are mobile friendly. Few people want an iOS or Android app. They are and always have been a waste of money. Only now, businesses have learnt the lesson and stopped buying them.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 02:14:57 AM »
I also go through a lot of phones, mainly samsungs. Thork you're right, its mainly just consumerism.

Saying that I want this for my car, I think I'll buy it, i can kind of justify it because I use maps and my music app a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/PUMPKIN-Android-Stereo-Support-Fastboot/dp/B079N9XDFT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538619268&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pumpkin+car+stereo&dpPl=1&dpID=51k4ps4fxHL&ref=plSrch

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 02:32:21 AM »
The iPhone XR is the only good phone of 2018. I'll be be upgrading from my 6S to one in a few weeks.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 06:34:10 AM »

Excellent question. Call it a hobby.

Then I recommend keeping your i6 until its forever dead or so slow as to frustrate you beyond belief.  THEN buy the latest apple.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 07:52:46 AM »
Um that isn't quite how hobbies work.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
Poking a phone is a hobby?

Why not go out and buy the world's most expensive toaster? A flagship toaster. It'll have dozens of settings you'll never use, it'll do crumpets and bagels, it'll be able to preload toast and toast at a time you set for later and it will know what time zone you're in.

I can understand why BUILDING a top class PC is a hobby. Buying an expensive PC isn't a hobby. Maybe playing games is on that PC ... but you are saying just 'owning a flagship phone' is a hobby. It isn't. It is consumerism.  Buying a fast car could be a hobby if you take it to the track and race it and upgrade it or you polish and maintain it or take it to shows. And if you have just one phone at a time you aren't collecting them like a stamp collector or a pokemon collector. The point of a hobby is that you do something. Either build, repair, collect or compete.

This isn't a hobby. You need to be honest with yourself and look at why you are making expensive impulse purchases. You are likely doing it to impress other people. Just dismissing it as 'a hobby' is a lie. Its not. You have a weakness for the advertising of these products and have found yourself susceptible. Rather than face that negative weakness, you instead dismiss it as a positive hobby. You should face up to your weakness and address it. Otherwise you'll be fined every time something else shiny appears.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:41:20 AM by Baby Thork »

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 03:06:40 PM »
I can understand why BUILDING a top class PC is a hobby. Buying an expensive PC isn't a hobby. Maybe playing games is on that PC ... but you are saying just 'owning a flagship phone' is a hobby. It isn't. It is consumerism.

I agree with Thork, which is uhh, uhh, hmm, I'll think over my position, but for now I agree with this.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 03:14:34 PM »
I can understand why BUILDING a top class PC is a hobby. Buying an expensive PC isn't a hobby. Maybe playing games is on that PC ... but you are saying just 'owning a flagship phone' is a hobby. It isn't. It is consumerism.

I agree with Thork, which is uhh, uhh, hmm, I'll think over my position, but for now I agree with this.
To be fair, I think Junker's hobby isn't "owning" flagship phones but rather "Returning" flagship phones.  Or at the very least "Testing" phones.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »
Meh, if the man likes buying phones, dicking about with them, and returning them or pawning them off to someone, that's his business. He's not harming anyone and (I think) it's not affecting his personal finances or life in any major way, so what's the issue?

We should encourage our good man Junker. Maybe one day he can become a famous YouTube tech reviewer.

As for phones: perhaps try to define some criteria that would make the decision for you? Here are some examples I'd consider:
  • Get something that's not Apple because Apple treats their consumers like shit and is actively trying to reduce consumer rights in the US and worldwide. They don't deserve you as a blip in their statistics, even if it's relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things. If someone takes a shit on your lap, the conventional approach is not to ask for more.
  • If it has a meme "notch", it should be put at the back of the queue. Why would you buy something that serves no purpose, but which increases the likelihood of your shit breaking?
  • To a lesser extent, the same thought applies to any phone that's glued together

Of course, I pretty much just discounted every major modern phone. Your priorities may vary, or you may want to pick the "least worst" option. Still, that's the approach I'd take.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 03:50:28 PM »
Poking a phone is a hobby?

Why not go out and buy the world's most expensive toaster? A flagship toaster. It'll have dozens of settings you'll never use, it'll do crumpets and bagels, it'll be able to preload toast and toast at a time you set for later and it will know what time zone you're in.

I can understand why BUILDING a top class PC is a hobby. Buying an expensive PC isn't a hobby. Maybe playing games is on that PC ... but you are saying just 'owning a flagship phone' is a hobby. It isn't. It is consumerism.  Buying a fast car could be a hobby if you take it to the track and race it and upgrade it or you polish and maintain it or take it to shows. And if you have just one phone at a time you aren't collecting them like a stamp collector or a pokemon collector. The point of a hobby is that you do something. Either build, repair, collect or compete.

This isn't a hobby. You need to be honest with yourself and look at why you are making expensive impulse purchases. You are likely doing it to impress other people. Just dismissing it as 'a hobby' is a lie. Its not. You have a weakness for the advertising of these products and have found yourself susceptible. Rather than face that negative weakness, you instead dismiss it as a positive hobby. You should face up to your weakness and address it. Otherwise you'll be fined every time something else shiny appears.
Thork, can you stop projecting your insecurities on to me please? I don't give a shit what other people think of my phone(s). You could have asked questions about why I do this, but instead you chose your usual route of making up a story in your own head (likely influenced by your own issues) and stating it like it is someone else's reality. I buy phones to tinker, then get bored. I root and unlock bootloaders on Android phones where possible, and try out a lot of custom ROMs. I jailbreak Apple memephones. Then I get bored, rinse and repeat. I have several other phones that I still tinker with, like my Xperia X which I will eventually load Sailfish OS on to one day. And a Z2 Force which is actually a decent phone. Anyway, you know fuck all about me, and since you aren't actually interested, I'll ask you not to shit up my thread with your nonsense.

To be fair, I think Junker's hobby isn't "owning" flagship phones but rather "Returning" flagship phones.  Or at the very least "Testing" phones.
Testing and tinkering is the hobby. And it isn't like I only do it with flagship phones, that is just what this thread happens to be about.

Meh, if the man likes buying phones, dicking about with them, and returning them or pawning them off to someone, that's his business. He's not harming anyone and (I think) it's not affecting his personal finances or life in any major way, so what's the issue?

We should encourage our good man Junker. Maybe one day he can become a famous YouTube tech reviewer.

As for phones: perhaps try to define some criteria that would make the decision for you? Here are some examples I'd consider:
  • Get something that's not Apple because Apple treats their consumers like shit and is actively trying to reduce consumer rights in the US and worldwide. They don't deserve you as a blip in their statistics, even if it's relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things. If someone takes a shit on your lap, the conventional approach is not to ask for more.
  • If it has a meme "notch", it should be put at the back of the queue. Why would you buy something that serves no purpose, but which increases the likelihood of your shit breaking?
  • To a lesser extent, the same thought applies to any phone that's glued together

Of course, I pretty much just discounted every major modern phone. Your priorities may vary, or you may want to pick the "least worst" option. Still, that's the approach I'd take.
My man Pete finally bringing a little sense back into the thread. I actually agree with a lot of your criteria. The only phone that ticks all the boxes from a hardware perspective are the Samsung phones (no notch, SD card, headphone jack), but yeah all the new flagships have glued on screens that make replacing them a tedious and expensive endeavor. I just don't care for Samsung's skin (formerly TouchWiz aka TouchJizz, now Samsung Experience aka SEx). Anyway, it is the details like this that keep me indecisive about what I want in a daily driver for a phone. That is why this thread exists. I am committing to figuring it out and making a decision.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 06:17:39 PM »
Testing and tinkering is the hobby. And it isn't like I only do it with flagship phones, that is just what this thread happens to be about.
Thank you.  That is what I wanted to know.  When I asked you just said "Call it a hobby" and left me think that returning them was the hobby.

Anyway...
I'd go with the samsung too.  Yes the bigger screen would drive me nuts but SD card and headphone jack are a must for me.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »
I'm p sure I've told you to get a Pixel in the last few threads. I stand by it.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 09:25:45 PM »

As long as Tuesday goes as expected and I can get over no SD card and headphone jack, that is the plan. I think I've abandoned the idea of getting a 6T, so it is down to 3 phones at this point (Pixel / XR / Note 9).

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 09:40:39 PM »

As long as Tuesday goes as expected and I can get over no SD card and headphone jack, that is the plan. I think I've abandoned the idea of getting a 6T, so it is down to 3 phones at this point (Pixel / XR / Note 9).
How will you handle no headphone jack?  Bluetooth earbuds?