Thork

iPad Air 2 review
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »
So I have one of these from work.

It is very thin. I mean incredibly thin and light. It actually is starting to feel a bit cheap. Call me old school but heavy things tend to be expensive.

Its very fast, nice screen.

But ... it gets quite warm. Also when the speakers play, you feel the vibrations all the way through the machine. It has no damping at all.

Verdict: 6/10
Wouldn't buy with my own money.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:24:49 PM by Thork »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: iPad Air 2 review
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:06 PM »
Riveting.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:47:38 PM »
Headphones. Ever heard of those?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
It is very thin. I mean incredibly thin and light. It actually is starting to feel a bit cheap. Call me old school but heavy things tend to be expensive.

People like you are the reason electronics still weigh as much as they do. I remember when Sony's original Playstation 3/4 controller was "so light it feels cheap" at the reveal convention so they purposely made it heavier because people are stupid.

Thork

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:18:10 PM »

People like you are the reason electronics still weigh as much as they do. I remember when Sony's original Playstation 3/4 controller was "so light it feels cheap" at the reveal convention so they purposely made it heavier because people are stupid.
Do you remember in Jurassic park where the kid picks up the night vision binoculars and the lawyers asks "Are those heavy?" and the kid says "Yes" and the accountant says "Then they are expensive, put them down". Moments later he gets eaten by a Tyrannosaur whilst sitting on the toilet.

My point is it is starting to feel a bit cheap.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:44:46 PM by Thork »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:22:36 PM »
No, that's probably the most coherent argument you've ever made.

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 10:23:42 PM »
So weight directly correlates to quality and cost?

Why wont the pawn shops take my big rocks?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 10:26:44 PM »

I loved the Playstation 3/4. It was my favourite console.

Also, I agree. I hate it. Light is good, people should stop being terrible
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Thork

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »
So weight directly correlates to quality and cost?
It suggests that it isn't stuffed with expensive goodies. That instead it is a bit lightweight. Why not double the weight back to something that doesn't feel like it will bend (and these seem way more susceptible to bending than the phones), and give me more components, more ram, more processing power, more cooling, damp the fucking vibrations out of it and get me a better battery? It would then be of a more than acceptable weight still to hold, but feel reassuringly expensive AND be a better machine.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 10:31:13 PM »
It suggests that it isn't stuffed with expensive goodies. That instead it is a bit lightweight. Why not double the weight back to something that doesn't feel like it will bend (and these seem way more susceptible to bending than the phones), and give me more components, more ram, more processing power, more cooling, damp the fucking vibrations out of it and get me a better battery? It would then be of a more than acceptable weight still to hold, but feel reassuringly expensive AND be a better machine.

You are literally the worst engineer ever.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 01:46:10 AM »
ITT: Thork makes me look knowledgeable about computers.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 02:43:49 AM »
what
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 02:45:29 AM »
I wonder if, when Thork was a professional plane maker, he made planes heavier so that their passengers could feel as though they were riding in style.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 02:48:27 AM »
ITT: Thork gets a product with "Air" in its name, expects it to feel heavy.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 08:07:23 AM »
What a great thread. I have nothing humorous to say.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 09:02:43 AM »
For once I have to agree with Thork. I played around with an iPad Air 2 extensively in an Apple Store recently, and it feels flimsy. A lot more flimsy than the iPad Mini. I was able to bow the case slightly without much effort, almost like it was a Samsung tablet.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:07:25 AM by Andrew »