Re: Fake news makes real news
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »
You have your take on the evidence and I have mine.

If you need to interpret evidence, then it becomes opinion, not fact.

Isn't that what prosecutors and scientists do?

George

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2016, 07:59:10 PM »
All evidence needs to be interpreted, yes, but these interpretations being drawn here are just wackadoodle.  You really think that having weird art is a sign of guilt?  Or that the authors of these emails couldn't just be joking instead of making serious confessions?

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2016, 08:22:58 PM »

Scientists interpret data.

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2016, 09:11:52 PM »
All evidence needs to be interpreted, yes, but these interpretations being drawn here are just wackadoodle.  You really think that having weird art is a sign of guilt?  Or that the authors of these emails couldn't just be joking instead of making serious confessions?

No, I think it's too much, all together, in concert that paint this as at least plausible.

In me eyes, these allegations are so appalling and disturbing that they are worthy of investigation, if even on an off chance it is true. No stones should be left unturned when it comes to protecting innocent children from these very real predators.

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2016, 10:03:22 PM »
i agree with truthisonhere.  anyone who doesn't like the right kind of art should be subject to search and seizure by the state.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2016, 10:44:13 PM »
i agree with truthisonhere.  anyone who doesn't like the right kind of art should be subject to search and seizure by the state.

Anyone who has direct access to children who puts up the type of shit that Alefentis did should be investigated.

You can downplay it all you want to, if art was the extent of it then I'd be inclined to agree with you.

And it's not even to say they should get raided etc... its the point no one is even touching it with a 100ft pole that is disturbing. They refuse to even discuss it in the same frame of reference to other "conspiracy theorist fueled" stories out there. They are outright calling it fake news. They never referred to 9/11 truther articles as fake news before. Why all of a sudden make this distinction. That is the thing that has intrigued most people.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:46:35 PM by TheTruthIsOnHere »

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2016, 11:19:56 PM »
They never referred to 9/11 truther articles as fake news before. Why all of a sudden make this distinction. That is the thing that has intrigued most people.

Because the "fake news" phenomenon as it exists now did not exist back when 9/11 was big news.

The pervasiveness of social media has provided a new infrastructure for the proliferation of fake news sources at an unprecedented scale. Yes, there have always existed news sources that are biased/unethical. But this STYLE of fake news at this scale is relatively new.

George

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2016, 05:00:35 AM »
I've found several articles comparing it to other conspiracy theories and discussing why and how in general they spread:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-38156985

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/12/08/the-satanic-roots-of-pizzagate-how-a-30-year-old-sex-panic-explains-today/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/6/13854110/pizzagate-comet-ping-pong-shooting-conspiracy-theory-analysis

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/05/politics/pizza-gate-conspiracy-theories-why-believe/

The mainstream media aren't refusing to cover or investigate this.  They have, in fact, summarized the bulk of the Internet's detective work quite succinctly in most articles discussing this - weird art and weird phrasing in emails.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »
Because the "fake news" phenomenon as it exists now did not exist back when 9/11 was big news.

The pervasiveness of social media has provided a new infrastructure for the proliferation of fake news sources at an unprecedented scale. Yes, there have always existed news sources that are biased/unethical. But this STYLE of fake news at this scale is relatively new.
To say that they didn't exist, or that this specific flavour of bs news didn't exist, is a bit of a stretch. Naturally, you're completely right that the scale of the spread is unprecedented, but as long as you knew the right e-mail happy people, usenet groups or forums, you'd observe pretty much the same patterns.

I'm not just saying that to be pedantic. I propose the distinction is important, because I believe this surge of popularity of fake news could have been easily predicted and prevented. The mainstream media kept delivering increasingly partisan and tendentious spins on their stories until the lines became blurred. Now, I'm not gonna say that Fox News or CNN caused it all, but they were definitely key players in the decline of journalism.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2016, 11:22:15 AM »

Fair enough, I retract my statememt.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »

To say that they didn't exist, or that this specific flavour of bs news didn't exist, is a bit of a stretch. Naturally, you're completely right that the scale of the spread is unprecedented, but as long as you knew the right e-mail happy people, usenet groups or forums, you'd observe pretty much the same patterns.

I'm not just saying that to be pedantic. I propose the distinction is important, because I believe this surge of popularity of fake news could have been easily predicted and prevented. The mainstream media kept delivering increasingly partisan and tendentious spins on their stories until the lines became blurred. Now, I'm not gonna say that Fox News or CNN caused it all, but they were definitely key players in the decline of journalism.

It's less that it didn't exist and more that people just ignored it, that is until the Democrats felt that this fake news may have helped Trump get elected. Then it suddenly becomes big news.

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2016, 02:30:50 PM »

Agreed on all points. But I think there is slightly more to it than just the scale. The ability to target each person individually with entertainment and news that is tailored to their specific tastes is somewhat new. Before, you knew any story that comes from Channel Such-and-Such is probably left-biased. Any Fwd:Fwd:Fwd:Fwd: chain email from Aunt MildlyRacist is going to have racist overtones. But now many people get a significant portion of their entertainment and news from facebook. Much of which is tailored to your specific user profile, and seems to just pop up from nowhere. Everyone ends up in their own little self-reinforcing bubble of opinion, and it can be difficult to notice that it is happening.

Rama Set

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2016, 03:13:56 PM »

But there is a huge difference between interpreting and trying to actively mitigate your bias and interpreting which requires baseless leaps in logic. For example thetruthisonhere cannot clearly state why having a few pieces artwork with odd depictions of children and some emails about pizza with no context means there is a child sex slave ring operating out of a non-existent basement of a pizzeria.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2016, 04:04:49 PM »

But there is a huge difference between interpreting and trying to actively mitigate your bias and interpreting which requires baseless leaps in logic. For example thetruthisonhere cannot clearly state why having a few pieces artwork with odd depictions of children and some emails about pizza with no context means there is a child sex slave ring operating out of a non-existent basement of a pizzeria.
I know.  I retracted my atatement of interpretation =opinion.  Not that he's wrong.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2016, 06:04:21 PM »

It's safe to say journalism is dead in America, and likely in a majority of the world as well.

However, I still don't see how this particular investigation is "fake news." I'm trying to figure out what's "fake" about it. From what I've seen, no one is ever claiming to have a smoking gun, in fact it's pretty clear to anyone viewing the voluminous amounts of circumstance that there is no concrete evidence. You may have read or stumbled onto a clickbait website with a more sensational headline, but for the most part this internet powered investigation isn't being done by any "news" website, real or fake. It's by concerned people. These people that are pouring hours upon hours into this aren't getting paid advertising dollars to spread misinformation.

It seems everyone has abstracted this conversation into what is or isn't journalism, or news. That's just the conversation a pedophile sex ring would want you to have. They want you to remove the people and argue concepts, ignore the potential victims and paint this as a partisan witch hunt. I don't think only Podesta and "democrats" are involved in this, I believe it is vast, and it is not outside the realm of possibility, considering this exact type of scheme has been exposed NUMEROUS times in the past. Their ultimate hope is that people will not be able to see past the outrageousness of the claims to even consider the possibility of it being true. Humans don't want to believe other humans could or would do this... but unfortunately for any potential victims, not everyone operates in the confines of Good Will.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2016, 07:11:18 PM »

It's safe to say journalism is dead in America, and likely in a majority of the world as well.

However, I still don't see how this particular investigation is "fake news." I'm trying to figure out what's "fake" about it. From what I've seen, no one is ever claiming to have a smoking gun, in fact it's pretty clear to anyone viewing the voluminous amounts of circumstance that there is no concrete evidence. You may have read or stumbled onto a clickbait website with a more sensational headline, but for the most part this internet powered investigation isn't being done by any "news" website, real or fake. It's by concerned people. These people that are pouring hours upon hours into this aren't getting paid advertising dollars to spread misinformation.

It seems everyone has abstracted this conversation into what is or isn't journalism, or news. That's just the conversation a pedophile sex ring would want you to have. They want you to remove the people and argue concepts, ignore the potential victims and paint this as a partisan witch hunt. I don't think only Podesta and "democrats" are involved in this, I believe it is vast, and it is not outside the realm of possibility, considering this exact type of scheme has been exposed NUMEROUS times in the past. Their ultimate hope is that people will not be able to see past the outrageousness of the claims to even consider the possibility of it being true. Humans don't want to believe other humans could or would do this... but unfortunately for any potential victims, not everyone operates in the confines of Good Will.

One queation:
How do you know what law enforcement has or hasn't investigated?  Do you know every single thing the FBI looks at?

Offline Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is round. Prove I'm wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2016, 09:36:13 PM »
What evidence you have that pizzagate is fake?
Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth"

Scripture, science, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion. Can dumb luck create a smart brain?

Please PM me to explain sunsets.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2016, 11:02:27 PM »
What evidence you have that pizzagate is fake?
It's not my burden of proof to prove it's fake, but yours to prove it's true.

However...
That the evidence presented is circumstantial at best.

How do you know a picture on a wall is the international symbol of pedophiles?
Why would a raid in another country have any relation to Anthony Weiner's laptop?  Said raid would have taken months to setup and could not be done in a few days, not with that many people.

Alot of the evidence presented is coincidental and shallow, requiring the information to be linked without anything to support such a link.  Like those pictures:
No actual proof they're in the pizza joint but even if they are, so what?  Art is weird.  And the ones in the bathroom?  Yeah... that looks like grafiti.  You know, like what's in every bathroom.

Seriously, all this evidence requires you to say they're linked without having proof of a link between them.  Sort of like saying "Because you're on this forum, you MUST be a flat-earther".

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2016, 07:04:14 AM »
You must be ok with kid diddling then Dave. Because anyone that looks at this objectively should at least think it's weird enough to where you wouldn't let your kid go there.

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2016, 09:04:49 AM »
You must be ok with kid diddling then Dave. Because anyone that looks at this objectively should at least think it's weird enough to where you wouldn't let your kid go there.

Yeah! If you don't join TheTruthIsOnHere in making baseless accusations of kid diddling, you must be a kid diddler yourself!

Btw, objectively, the evidence looks like absolutely nothing.