Project on the Flat Earth theory.
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:49:49 PM »
Hello, I'm currently doing a project for school on the flat earth theory. Are there any basic facts or arguments I should know while making the project? Please make the facts as basic as possible for the students who I am presenting this too so they can understand.

devils advocate

Re: Project on the Flat Earth theory.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »
Hi YummyBacon

To help answer can you please provide a bit more detail such as;

What age are the school children?
What country are you in?
What class is this lesson (i.e. an RE class will get different issues than physics etc)

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:03:47 PM »
Hi YummyBacon

To help answer can you please provide a bit more detail such as;

What age are the school children?
What country are you in?
What class is this lesson (i.e. an RE class will get different issues than physics etc)

8th-grade students, USA and this is a science class. The students that I take my class don't take the flat earth theory seriously, just like my teacher.

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 02:14:17 AM »
Water always seeks it's own level.

The Great China Canal built from 500 bc- 1200 ad is over 1100 miles long with 24 locks(46 miles avg.), like the Suez Canal with NO Locks 100 miles built on a consistent datum line in 1859. Both these miracles of engineering are flat as a pancake and in no way follow some hocus pocus curvature lie. The Suez would have a bulge at the top of over 1,600 ft of desert not water as it would have flowed back into the Mediterranean Sea or Gulf of Suez.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:16:11 AM »
The Suez would have a bulge at the top of over 1,600 ft of desert not water as it would have flowed back into the Mediterranean Sea or Gulf of Suez.

Why would you say that?
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.

devils advocate

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 03:45:08 PM »
Water always seeks it's own level.

The Great China Canal built from 500 bc- 1200 ad is over 1100 miles long with 24 locks(46 miles avg.), like the Suez Canal with NO Locks 100 miles built on a consistent datum line in 1859. Both these miracles of engineering are flat as a pancake and in no way follow some hocus pocus curvature lie. The Suez would have a bulge at the top of over 1,600 ft of desert not water as it would have flowed back into the Mediterranean Sea or Gulf of Suez.

Perhaps with a misunderstanding of the law of gravity these canals could seem proof of flat earth but if you apply gravity to each metre of water it is no surprise that it remains where it is rather than forming a huge bulge or flowing backwards (around the curve) of earth.

devils advocate

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 03:52:02 PM »
Oh and the canal is not straight for 120 miles either, the longest single stretch is about 29 miles so factor that in also.