Poll

Should I start a social media account as mentioned below?

Yes
3 (33.3%)
No
3 (33.3%)
I don't think it matters tbh.
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: November 30, 2017, 05:39:01 PM

Should I start a discussion-format social media account?
« on: November 23, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »
Hi. Non-flat earther here.

You know, I've been observing the arguments that the internet has about whether the earth is flat or not. However, to my disappointment, the majority of discussions seemed to include a bunch of personal attacks (Come on, the forums has 2k members. Not many people are gonna read the discussions here). Well, to sum it up, the RE's think the Fe's are idiots, and the Fe's think Re's are fools ???. Both the parties are not understanding each other's perspectives, and the arguments seem to lead nowhere.

So, since most FE's believe that the earth is flat from social media, I believe that it is best to host a discussion there (preferably YouTube? I think videos convey information rather well), where I act as a third party, and weight out the different arguments and evidences, in which I believe that people watching would be less defensive, since their POV is covered as well, and can (probably) help to convince people of the truth (Note that the "truth" I'm talking about here does not necessarily mean the earth is flat, it can go either way depending on the evidences).

I don't think the FE's should have a problem with this kind of thing, since (I think) they should believe that their explanation is foolproof.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Btw, if I do start this kind of thing, I will definitely need support from FE's, since I can't wrap my head around some of your theories/explanations. Also, I'm strictly non-religious, so arguments such as "The earth is flat, since the bible says it's flat" will not be entertained.

Hey, thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:44:29 PM by Deaurofi »

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
Re: Should I start a discussion-format social media account?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »
I think a live discussion would make a lot of sense, but I doubt you will get much participation from the FE crowd. Just my opinion based on the non responsiveness and the negativity I have seen to other invitations. In my short time here I have seen several inquiries from students looking for FE background, interviews, debates, etc. I haven't seen any positive responses from the FE believers.

I've seen some fairly negative responses. I've also seen an accusation that all such invitations are from a single party using multiple alternate ("alt") users. Of course I have no way to know if that is true or not. But it strikes be as an excuse to preemptively ignore such requests.

If you get any FE takers on your invitation, that would be great. I think a YouTube debate would be interesting, perhaps multiple videos each dedicated to a specific aspect of FE/RE viewpoints.

devils advocate

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 09:25:54 PM »
Watcha!

Great idea and I would love to see a debate between the two sides! Its too easy to just disappear on forums and leave questions unanswered (and I'm talking about both sides).

Love the non religious stance too. Debate needs to be fact based.

Video also means no travel costs or time constraints, folks could even debate over Skype etc.

Just a thought mind, there MAY be a problem with the flat earthers appearing on Internet vids without some level of anonymity?! Whilst happy to post on here as proud flat earth believers there may be reluctance to appear "full face" on the eternal web where bosses etc can see them. Of course they may be perfectly happy to do so and berate me for suggesting otherwise but its worth offering the choice IN CASE that means the difference between them getting involved or not.

Good luck  :D

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 01:02:32 AM »
I voted you should do it even though I base some of my belief from scripture but I am a contractor and there is no curvature that has ever been measured.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:14:05 AM by J-Man »
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 05:36:07 AM »
I think a live discussion would make a lot of sense, but I doubt you will get much participation from the FE crowd. Just my opinion based on the non responsiveness and the negativity I have seen to other invitations. In my short time here I have seen several inquiries from students looking for FE background, interviews, debates, etc. I haven't seen any positive responses from the FE believers.

Yeah, that's why I posted the idea here first, before trying it out first. I'm hoping that taking a neutral stance will also help to draw the FE crowd in more as well.

I've seen some fairly negative responses. I've also seen an accusation that all such invitations are from a single party using multiple alternate ("alt") users. Of course I have no way to know if that is true or not. But it strikes be as an excuse to preemptively ignore such requests.

I wasn't aware of that. Lemme just put it out there, that this isn't an alt.

If you get any FE takers on your invitation, that would be great. I think a YouTube debate would be interesting, perhaps multiple videos each dedicated to a specific aspect of FE/RE viewpoints.

Thanks.  :)

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 05:41:15 AM »

Just a thought mind, there MAY be a problem with the flat earthers appearing on Internet vids without some level of anonymity?! Whilst happy to post on here as proud flat earth believers there may be reluctance to appear "full face" on the eternal web where bosses etc can see them. Of course they may be perfectly happy to do so and berate me for suggesting otherwise but its worth offering the choice IN CASE that means the difference between them getting involved or not.

Good luck  :D

Thanks for the support. :) In the case that the user wishes to be anonymous, I think it is possible that I learn about the theory here first, and then explain it from both sides. Or, a representative can be in place of the user (of course, I wish to be anonymous as well. Not showing my face would suffice for me). Well, I'm still new to this kind of thing, so keep the potential problems incoming. :D

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 09:40:21 PM »
Personally, I think it's a good idea, but also one I doubt I'd be participating in. This is because I spend most of my "publicity time" on speaking to mainstream media outlets these days (as much as I have a slight disdain for them, they do also offer a very wide audience).

DA's point about anonymity strikes me as true. Not because your boss might see it, but because there are some fairly vile people out there who might physically assault you for holding unconventional beliefs.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 10:47:11 PM »
Personally, I think it's a good idea, but also one I doubt I'd be participating in. This is because I spend most of my "publicity time" on speaking to mainstream media outlets these days (as much as I have a slight disdain for them, they do also offer a very wide audience).

DA's point about anonymity strikes me as true. Not because your boss might see it, but because there are some fairly vile people out there who might physically assault you for holding unconventional beliefs.
Where could we view your past media participations? Sounds interesting.

And for what its worth, I really doubt anyone is going to care enough about round/flat Earth differences to assault anyone. I didn't even know there were still flat Earth believers until a few months ago. I've mentioned participating in these forums to a few friends, and they really didn't care.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 06:51:57 PM »

And for what its worth, I really doubt anyone is going to care enough about round/flat Earth differences to assault anyone. I didn't even know there were still flat Earth believers until a few months ago. I've mentioned participating in these forums to a few friends, and they really didn't care.

Assults are unlikely although there are some crazy people out there.   But having one's boss find out you are an FEer would cause rapid unemployment in most fields.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:37:06 PM by TomInAustin »
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 07:19:45 PM »
It's not much to speak of yet. I appeared twice on talkRADIO recently (within the last week) - I'm not sure whether they make their broadcasts available after they've aired. I'll see if I can find them. One of the appearances (with Howard Hughes on his "The Unexplained" talk show) went rather well and was actually fun to take part in. The other involved a newsreader continuously trying to insult me while expressing his disbelief. That was maybe less fun.

[EDIT: I've found the more underwhelming one of the two]

Other recent interviews include The Boston Globe and LadBible and BuzzFeed.

More often than not I get stood up, or I stop getting responses to my messages once the journalist/producer in question loses interest. I'm in touch with a few outlets right now, but past experiences taught me not to talk about interviews before they've happened.

Obviously most people won't care, but there are some psychos out there. Consider the time a RE'er got so upset that someone disagreed with their doctrine that he chucked a propane canister into a campfire. This is not an isolated incident, and physical assaults on FE'ers are relatively familiar to anyone with a serious involvement in the community.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:56:02 PM by Pete Svarrior »

devils advocate

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »
Wow that was surreal Pete! After months of reading your words hearing you talk was not with the voice I expected. Anyhow for what it's worth I thought you held your own, nice one! ;D

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 07:57:27 PM »
hearing you talk was not with the voice I expected
I dread to ask: better or worse?

devils advocate

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 08:05:04 PM »

Well I thought you were from the USA before so that was a difference, I couldn't exactly place your dialect, mix of 'academic' (students DO have a UNIfied accent) with some west country???? Tricky!

Anyhow the interviewer clearly hadn't done his homework and even a RE like me cringed at some of his comments. Keen to hear more, definitely highlights the OP, the spoken word is by far the better debate tool IMO

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 08:35:14 PM »

I thought you held your own quite well.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:04:17 AM »
Anyhow the interviewer clearly hadn't done his homework and even a RE like me cringed at some of his comments.
Yeah, I was very conflicted throughout the interview, especially since my previous experience with the station was much more positive. We were supposed to talk about Mike Hughes's rocket launch, but obviously that didn't happen so I guess he defaulted to "if the Earth is flat then why is it round?" mode.

Keen to hear more, definitely highlights the OP, the spoken word is by far the better debate tool IMO
Obviously, I'm biased, but I think the Boston Globe interview went the best out of the four I showed here. That was a phone conversation with the journalist, who asked some good questions and some boring ones. It offered us the benefit of realising that some parts of the conversation just weren't going too well, and those didn't make it to the final write-up. From a quality control perspective, that seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 04:31:24 PM »
Anyhow the interviewer clearly hadn't done his homework and even a RE like me cringed at some of his comments.
Yeah, I was very conflicted throughout the interview, especially since my previous experience with the station was much more positive. We were supposed to talk about Mike Hughes's rocket launch, but obviously that didn't happen so I guess he defaulted to "if the Earth is flat then why is it round?" mode.

Keen to hear more, definitely highlights the OP, the spoken word is by far the better debate tool IMO
Obviously, I'm biased, but I think the Boston Globe interview went the best out of the four I showed here. That was a phone conversation with the journalist, who asked some good questions and some boring ones. It offered us the benefit of realising that some parts of the conversation just weren't going too well, and those didn't make it to the final write-up. From a quality control perspective, that seems like the best of both worlds to me.

What I appreciated was the direct way you answered questions.   I think if you guys did that more of that around here there would be less arguing.   From an outsider's perspective, you should start with the FAQ and actually make it an FAQ in the literal sense.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 05:42:39 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, Tom and DA. I'll keep those comments in mind moving forward :)