Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Proposal to communicate via text
« on: May 04, 2014, 05:10:21 AM »
Okay, I'm back, and I can function again. I propose that we figure out some way to text each other, in order to chat to get to know each other, and in order apply peer pressure to get on things like forum participation and calling votes.

Thoughts?

Thork

Re: Proposal to communicate via text
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »
Text I am not liking, because it involves my mobile phone number. Whilst I trust all the people in this group, I'm just loathed to had it out across the interwebs.

I have a facebook account, which I can receive messages.
There is IRC for real time conversations.
I'll use webex or Skype if you want a one to one chat. This has text messaging.
I do pick up all my messages here too.

But I'm not so keen on my mobile being handed out. When I have time for FES, I will collect messages. FES isn't going to be poking and reminding me to do things when I'm at work or asleep.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 12:17:38 AM »
I was under the impression that this was a serious effort.

Thork

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »
You're not having my mobile number, Tom.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »
Alternate Proposal

It is possible to send a text via email. It is also possible to send an email via a web page. If privacy is a concern, how about an encrypted webpage which sends an email to a list of 5 cell phone numbers with a message. That should be easy to put together. Maybe even checkboxes near council member names for directed messages as an advanced feature.

It can be used by the Council for calls to order, when votes and are needed for impending matters. In that way the inactivity of a few will not hamper progress.

Thork

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:00:43 AM »
I have Skype on my mobile. You can use that if you like. It works like text but I don't need to pass my mobile number out.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 03:59:38 AM »
I don't have a skype or facebook account, and I wouldn't log into it all that often to check if anyone needs me if I only had a few contacts to tend to. Presumably we all have SMS on our cell phones.

Any other opinions from the Council?

Thork

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 03:01:02 PM »
You can get other opinions Tom, but I am flat out refusing to give out my mobile number. I've suggested alternatives, but if you are going to keep coming back to "Let me have your phone number" the discussion is over.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »
You can get other opinions Tom, but I am flat out refusing to give out my mobile number. I've suggested alternatives, but if you are going to keep coming back to "Let me have your phone number" the discussion is over.

I suggested an alternative where your number was hidden behind a webpage.

A html page for the submit with a PHP include for the emailing portion would execute server side. No one would know your phone number except for the administrator of the site. The source of a php file is not publicly available under typical server settings. Creating something like that would be very easy: http://myphpform.com/final-form.php

Your alternative has me creating a facebook or a skype account just to log in and check if I'm needed. Unfortunately installing an app on my phone is not possible for me, either. I do not own a smartphone, because I do not believe in 1 day battery life.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:44:59 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »
I saw that Markjo had an idea on the main forums. He noted that it is often possible to set your phone to alert you in event of a received email. I can do that with the features of my dumbphone. That might work for me. Since I use my email for other things, it wouldn't involve me registering a worthless account.

Does that work for others?

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »
I'm fine with whatever. I don't mind any of you having my personal information. That said, I totally respect Thork's reluctance.

I'm good with email.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Thork

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 03:14:34 AM »
email is fine for me. I get phone notification on all emails.

Pm me your details and I will email you mine to start the contact.