Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
I would never pay a premium to have this new gaming PC that only Steve Jobs would approve of.

There isn't a thing about that computer that Steve Jobs would have approved of.

Buy a better motherboard then.
At which point you end up buying a new computer because your processor doesn't fit, your RAM is now slow, your hard drive is bottled necking everything.

Why upgrade everything all the time? Why not just upgrade everything in one go? By building a new computer? Its not going to cost more and you can completely change your PC for your new requirements. What if the next computers all run ARM chips so as to be compatible with phone and tablet software? What if PCI is replaced? Or you want to swap from DIMM to RIMM or SO-DIMM?

I hate to say this, but I'm with Rushy on this one. This is a dumb idea.

Hey, I'm not arguing for Razer here, just upgrading certain parts as they require. Of course, if I'm forced to upgrade multiple parts due to sockets or other circumstances then I do, but otherwise I'm going to be a cheap bastard and only upgrade what I need.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
I may be wrong but doesn't mineral oil have a shitty thermal conductivity?
Reading up on it, it seems like water would actually move the heat away faster than oil.
I haven't done the maths, but gut feeling tells me that oil would work out better, simply because of how much of it there is. With water cooling, you can usually only have a small amount of water flowing through heatsinks around critical components. With mineral oil, you just turn your computer into an aquarium. The heat can spread in all directions, and the area of the heat dissipating region is huge.
You can use water in your PC.  Just gotta be distilled.

That would work only if your case is vacuum sealed and completely free of any foreign particles.
If you're gonna pour miner oil all over your components, you're gonna make the case pretty close to air tight anyway.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

But then you would not be using water.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
But then you would not be using water.

Irrelevant.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
There isn't a thing about that computer that Steve Jobs would have approved of.

He would approve of the idea, but I doubt Apple would release a computer looking like stacked turds. It'd be sleek, white, and have a big honking Apple logo on it somewhere. They would say it uses quantum tunnel cooling or some made-up shit.

Hey, I'm not arguing for Razer here, just upgrading certain parts as they require. Of course, if I'm forced to upgrade multiple parts due to sockets or other circumstances then I do, but otherwise I'm going to be a cheap bastard and only upgrade what I need.

Like Thork said, a computer is more or less stuck in time due to the parts you get. When I built my first computer a few years ago I thought I'd just be able to update parts one at a time, but then I needed more powerful mining cards, and then I needed PCI slots that could handle the bandwidth. This ultimately ended with getting a whole new computer, because just getting a new GPU would bottleneck at the slots, and getting a new motherboard and GPU without a new processor is impossible due to socket compatibility. In the end the only computer parts that stay the same for me are the hard drives and the case.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
I've used the same case the past 11 years, but the hard drives have been replaced when needed.
Going to buy a new case and a whole new computer soon. The only things I'm going to take from the old computer and put in the new one are my two SSD's and one of the HDD's.
The Mastery.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
What if the next computers all run ARM chips so as to be compatible with phone and tablet software?

You really don't understand how software works, do you?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

What if the next computers all run ARM chips so as to be compatible with phone and tablet software?

I'm a professional software developer. :(

I write apps, make web sites, do computer things. Today I started building a website that uses javascript to make api calls to a json server, then does something magic which I haven't worked out how to do yet, to dynamically create the webpages. Then it has to work off-line by caching something in a way I haven't yet figured out and create .pdfs off the information generated at runtime and then an iPad app needs to do the same thing.

Does this sound like the kind of thing a person who doesn't understand software would be getting paid to do? Does it? >o<
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:55:27 PM by Thork »

Rama Set

Yes.

Thork

Shut your pie-hole. You don't even know what shape the earth is! >:(

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Does this sound like the kind of thing a person who doesn't understand software would be getting paid to do? Does it? >o<

Based on your description, that is exactly what it sounds like.

I do computer things. Today I started building a website that does something magic which I haven't worked out how to do yet. Then it has to work off-line by caching something in a way I haven't yet figured out and then an iPad app needs to do the same thing.

I'm with everybody else on this. It really does.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile

I write apps, make web sites, do computer things. Today I started building a website that uses javascript to make api calls to a json server, then does something magic which I haven't worked out how to do yet, to dynamically create the webpages. Then it has to work off-line by caching something in a way I haven't yet figured out and create .pdfs off the information generated at runtime and then an iPad app needs to do the same thing.

You just proved his point.  Congrats.

Thork

Fucking hell. Has anyone else missed the Sarcasm Express today?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Fucking hell. Has anyone else missed the Sarcasm Express today?

Nice try ;)