need more information
« on: August 12, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »
Like others, I too blew off FET as someone's joke...but after learning that there are those actual believers, I decided to start investigating the theory. I read through the FAQ page, but before I can get into any kind of discussion, I really need more information...

First, how thick is the earth?

There is an image of the flat earth on the FAQ page. In this image, I'm confused as latitude and longitude lines are really only applicable in a round earth theory.
With the FET theory, it correctly shows Australia as being approximately as wide as it is from Spain to the east end of Russia. In a round earth theory, Australia is much smaller.
In the FET, it should take someone the same amount of time to walk across Australia as it would to walk from Spain to the east side of Russia. Is this true?

The sun is stated as a rotating sphere but the light shown is directional. What kind of experiment can I conduct to recreate this effect?

If the sun is rotating above the earth, why does it appear to meet the horizon during dawn and dusk? What kind of experiment can I conduct to recreate this effect?

I live close enough to Cape Canaveral to see rocket launches. With the space shuttle launches, where did they go, and why did it take so long for them to return?

If gravity does not exist as explained by the Universal Acceleration theory, how do the tides occur?

Technically, if global warming were to melt the ice ridge at the edges of the FET world, it could possibly drain the oceans rather than raise them. Is this true?

Just out of curiosity, why would every known object above the earth be spherical, and the earth be the only object that is flat?

Thanks in advance for any information...

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
Re: need more information
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:49:09 AM »
Like others, I too blew off FET as someone's joke...but after learning that there are those actual believers, I decided to start investigating the theory. I read through the FAQ page, but before I can get into any kind of discussion, I really need more information...

First, how thick is the earth?

There is an image of the flat earth on the FAQ page. In this image, I'm confused as latitude and longitude lines are really only applicable in a round earth theory.
With the FET theory, it correctly shows Australia as being approximately as wide as it is from Spain to the east end of Russia. In a round earth theory, Australia is much smaller.
In the FET, it should take someone the same amount of time to walk across Australia as it would to walk from Spain to the east side of Russia. Is this true?

The sun is stated as a rotating sphere but the light shown is directional. What kind of experiment can I conduct to recreate this effect?

If the sun is rotating above the earth, why does it appear to meet the horizon during dawn and dusk? What kind of experiment can I conduct to recreate this effect?

I live close enough to Cape Canaveral to see rocket launches. With the space shuttle launches, where did they go, and why did it take so long for them to return?

If gravity does not exist as explained by the Universal Acceleration theory, how do the tides occur?

Technically, if global warming were to melt the ice ridge at the edges of the FET world, it could possibly drain the oceans rather than raise them. Is this true?

Just out of curiosity, why would every known object above the earth be spherical, and the earth be the only object that is flat?

Thanks in advance for any information...

The answer to all of your questions is exactly the same: The Earth is not flat.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »
It's not?!?!?...and here I was hoping to become a convert...but no one is addressing any of my questions...hmmmm...

geckothegeek

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 12:54:32 AM »
It's not?!?!?...and here I was hoping to become a convert...but no one is addressing any of my questions...hmmmm...

If you have been on this  website for some time........hmmmmm........You begin to wonder.......Is it really (Quote widely seen from the Internet "One big hoax or one big joke ?")

Hmmm

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
zhawkeye,
You might get, or not, some answers from my retranslation of a local suns hypothesis.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 01:22:48 PM »

The grand poohbah of flat earth is Tom Bishop.  Read the debate thread about airlines and distances to get an idea of how he thinks.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

geckothegeek

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 12:30:26 AM »
Re: Need more information.

I have been trying to get some information this without much success.:

(1) Where is the horizon on a flat earth ?
(2) How do you calculate the distance to the horizon on a flat earth ?
(3) Is there a horizon on a flat earth ?
(4) What is the definition of the horizon on a flat earth ?

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 12:33:57 AM »

Lemme take a swing.

1) At the vanishing point.
2) Same way you do on a round Earth.
3) Horizon = vanishing point due to perspective.
4) Horizon is the point where perspective lines meet so you can't see further.

Those line up with everything I've seen. Do they make sense? So long as you accept the Bishop theory of perspective they should. The core tenant apparently being perspective exactly mimics a RE horizon. Which I would say is pretty handy, wouldn't you agree?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 01:06:17 PM »

Lemme take a swing.

1) At the vanishing point.
2) Same way you do on a round Earth.
3) Horizon = vanishing point due to perspective.
4) Horizon is the point where perspective lines meet so you can't see further.

Those line up with everything I've seen. Do they make sense? So long as you accept the Bishop theory of perspective they should. The core tenant apparently being perspective exactly mimics a RE horizon. Which I would say is pretty handy, wouldn't you agree?

It's hard to get at what Tom is saying about perspective and vanishing points.   He agrees that light travels in straight lines - but refuses to comment on my diagram of how a pinhole camera works.

What seems to be happening is that he thinks "perspective" is some law of nature in it's own right - that it's a property of how light propagates or something.  What he doesn't "get" is that it's just a consequence of light traveling in straight lines through a lens (or a pinhole).   So there simply isn't a way for it to work any way other than how it does in RET.

You reach a point with Tom where his mind will not allow him to take the next deductive leap...I guess he needs more IQ points and there isn't much we can do about that.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?