1 (3.6%)
Monopole flat earth model
7 (25%)
Other...
3 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Which model do you believe in?
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:53:15 AM »
For discussion, it would be good to know which model is the most prominent.
If you have another model which you believe is relevant to the poll, I would be glad to add it to the poll.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Which model do you believe in?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 08:04:25 AM »
Can you clarify what you mean by the "heliocentric model"?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
Can you clarify what you mean by the "heliocentric model"?
The earth is spherical, the moon orbits the earth which orbits the sun.
Generally put, its just an option for people who do not believe in the flat earth, but if another name suits it better, then I'll rename it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »
I would suggest "Round Earth Theory" or "RET" - this is generally the name used around here. My worry is that there might be a heliocentric FET model out there somewhere (though I must admit I'm not familiar with one)

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »
I would suggest "Round Earth Theory" or "RET" - this is generally the name used around here. My worry is that there might be a heliocentric FET model out there somewhere (though I must admit I'm not familiar with one)
Tom frequently uses 'heliocentric' in reference to the... I guess I'd call it 'general' model espoused by the wiki. He's right enough about calling it that. But that only reinforces the point it should be described as RE or FE.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:15:33 PM »
I've changed it now to Heliocentric (RE) model, which I hope will be easier to distinguish. =)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 02:19:19 PM »
Sounds good to me!

Offline JRowe

• Slowly being driven insane by RE nonsense
    • View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »
For discussion, it would be good to know which model is the most prominent.
If you have another model which you believe is relevant to the poll, I would be glad to add it to the poll.
This poll may not achieve that. Even if you just want to take the classical 'monopole flat Earth model,' there are several subsequent variations upon it. That is one of the strengths of FET, the freedom to develop rather than to blindly follow the leader.
Plus it neglects certain subtleties; many models have more in common than they do differences even in separate categories there. (For example, DET is a bipolar model but it has more in common with the Pole-Centered monopole models).
My DE model explained here.
Open to questions, but if you're curious start there rather than expecting me to explain it all from scratch every time.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »
This poll may not achieve that. Even if you just want to take the classical 'monopole flat Earth model,' there are several subsequent variations upon it. That is one of the strengths of FET, the freedom to develop rather than to blindly follow the leader.
Plus it neglects certain subtleties; many models have more in common than they do differences even in separate categories there. (For example, DET is a bipolar model but it has more in common with the Pole-Centered monopole models).
I know, there are many aspects to the theories, like question if the sun and moon are inside or outside the filament and other theories, but the base model would be generalized in these models I believe.

I've heard a lot about the bi-polar model being the model of choice for the most prominent people on this site for example, so I primarily wish to know if this is just an empty claim or some truth behind it.

YukiTheGlobeEarther

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »
I would have to go with (It's literally in my name) Globe Model considering I grew up in an environment that supports that belief system and weirdly enough there are 0 flat earthers at my school, I would have thought there would be at least 1 considering the size(100 students)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 10:14:02 PM »
I would have thought there would be at least 1 considering the size(100 students)
That is one small school. You must come from a very privileged country.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 11:19:07 PM »
I would have thought there would be at least 1 considering the size(100 students)
Without knowing the education level you can't really say this. Schools in Africa for instance range from a handful to thousands, and in the countryside of many countries you can have 100 people in an entire school that cover K-12.

That said, 100 people from a (likely unless it's post US grade 12 equivalent) smallish region isn't a particularly good sample to attempt to apply to the world.

YukiTheGlobeEarther

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 10:27:50 AM »
I'm a Canadian, so for most of Canada we believe the Earth is round. I can't speak for everyone when I say that. I respect everyone's decision in believing in the Flat Earth Theory. Also the whole thing about the pictures of Earth being photoshopped has been solved. Since Earth(As I believe it) is humongous, NASA took many photos and photoshopped them together to get the beautiful pictures of the Blue Marble.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »
What is Dual Earth Theory?

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »
I am probably one of the few who believe in the Biblical flat earth, the one who correspond with the Bible , Book of Enoch and involves creation by a creator not being a little green or grey alien, anyone else ?

I believe there are no satellites except the drones https://www.cbsnews.com/news/google-acquires-drone-company-titan-aerospace/   , and then there is the weather balloons, ground based Radars and submarine cables.
Apart from that, I believe this dude ask the right questions.