Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Protecting IP addresses from google
« on: February 27, 2018, 08:05:13 PM »
I'm aware this site uses google analytics. That's fine.

But it is possible to shovel data to google anonymising the user's IP address by turning the last 3 digits into a 0 before google get their nosey hands on it.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2763052?hl=en

How to do this.
https://www.iubenda.com/blog/ip-anonymization-google-analytics-privacy/

Being as TFES is a bastion of free speech, open source, creative licenses and user anonymity ... this quick change may fall in line more closely with the values of the site. We could then update our privacy policy to reflect this extra protection given to users.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Protecting IP addresses from google
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 04:45:01 PM »
Huh, apparently I missed this thread when it was created. Let's pick it up.

Normally, I'd be the only person to push against changes to how our GA works, but in this instance, I completely agree. The full IP information does not provide us with much benefit (if any at all), and while the privacy gains are fairly small, I can see no practical argument against it.

I'll discuss this with site admins, but given that you've already convinced the hardliner, I imagine there shouldn't be much opposition. Unless I'm missing something, of course.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 11:53:44 AM »
Huh, apparently I missed this thread when it was created. Let's pick it up.

Normally, I'd be the only person to push against changes to how our GA works, but in this instance, I completely agree. The full IP information does not provide us with much benefit (if any at all), and while the privacy gains are fairly small, I can see no practical argument against it.

I'll discuss this with site admins, but given that you've already convinced the hardliner, I imagine there shouldn't be much opposition. Unless I'm missing something, of course.
Cool. I doubt many sites across the world have implemented this, but if Google is to die, it will have to be a death by a trillion paper cuts.

I'm strongly opposed to any act that reduces the data our Google overlords get. Google is too vital to the internet infrastructure for us to try and hamper it in anyway, and I believe that by limiting the information we give them we are hurting the internet as a whole.
Don't worry. Anonymising the last 3 digits only narrows your device down to one in a thousand. Google likely know which site you came from and which site you went to after and fill in the gaps. I try to make it harder for them. I use Brave browser instead of Chrome, DuckDuckGo as my search engine, have https everywhere on, block third party cookies, ad blocking on, have autocomplete turned off, and send do not track requests ... and I still know google get all the data they want ... but its a game with privacy as the prize, so I'm going to play anyway.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 07:54:12 PM »
This isn't a debate forum.

This seems like a reasonable change and I'll try to get around to looking at it more closely this weekend and hopefully applying it. In the meantime, can everyone please refrain from giving me a reason to split the thread?

Edit: Split, because some people don't know how to take a hint.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:57:04 PM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:19:28 PM »
Don't worry too much about implementation - it's a one-liner. I'll get it committed tomorrow, I just wanted a second pair of eyes to check over the suggestion before jumping on it :)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »
This has now been implemented across the Wiki, homepage, and forum. Cafepress stores don't allow users to alter GA parameters (other than the tracker ID), so unfortunately it won't be possible there. Nonetheless, this should be at least a small step forward.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 06:17:48 PM »
Don't forget to update the cookie policy/privacy policy on the site.

One more for Google in the death by a trillion paper cuts.

Thank you for implementing my suggestion.

[/thread]

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 11:53:23 AM »
This has now been implemented across the Wiki
Actually, I broke Google Analytics on the Wiki for a day. Fun times. Fixed now.

Yeeeeeah... I'll create those at some point. At some point.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 04:03:10 PM »
Yeeeeeah... I'll create those at some point. At some point.

Code: [Select]
<h1>Privacy Policy of The Flat Earth Society</h1>

<p>The Flat Earth Society operates the https://www.tfes.org/ website, which provides the SERVICE.</p>

<p>This page is used to inform website visitors regarding our policies with the collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Information if anyone decided to use our Service, the The Flat Earth Society website.</p>

<p>If you choose to use our Service, then you agree to the collection and use of information in relation with this policy. The Personal Information that we collect are used for providing and improving the Service. We will not use or share your information with anyone except as described in this Privacy Policy.</p>

<p>The terms used in this Privacy Policy have the same meanings as in our Terms and Conditions, which is accessible at https://www.tfes.org/, unless otherwise defined in this Privacy Policy.</p>

<h2>Information Collection and Use</h2>

<p>For a better experience while using our Service, we may require you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information, including but not limited to your name, phone number, and postal address. The information that we collect will be used to contact or identify you.</p>

<h2>Log Data</h2>

<p>We want to inform you that whenever you visit our Service, we collect information that your browser sends to us that is called Log Data. This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser version, pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, and other statistics.</p>

<h2>Cookies</h2>

<p>Cookies are files with small amount of data that is commonly used an anonymous unique identifier. These are sent to your browser from the website that you visit and are stored on your computer’s hard drive.</p>

<p>Our website uses these "cookies" to collection information and to improve our Service. You have the option to either accept or refuse these cookies, and know when a cookie is being sent to your computer. If you choose to refuse our cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Service.</p>

<h2>Service Providers</h2>

<p>We may employ third-party companies and individuals due to the following reasons:</p>

<ul>
    <li>To facilitate our Service;</li>
    <li>To provide the Service on our behalf;</li>
    <li>To perform Service-related services; or</li>
    <li>To assist us in analyzing how our Service is used.</li>
</ul>

<p>We want to inform our Service users that these third parties have access to your Personal Information. The reason is to perform the tasks assigned to them on our behalf. However, they are obligated not to disclose or use the information for any other purpose.</p>

<h2>Security</h2>

<p>We value your trust in providing us your Personal Information, thus we are striving to use commercially acceptable means of protecting it. But remember that no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure and reliable, and we cannot guarantee its absolute security.</p>

<h2>Links to Other Sites</h2>

<p>Our Service may contain links to other sites. If you click on a third-party link, you will be directed to that site. Note that these external sites are not operated by us. Therefore, we strongly advise you to review the Privacy Policy of these websites. We have no control over, and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party sites or services.</p>

<p>Children’s Privacy</p>

<p>Our Services do not address anyone under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal identifiable information from children under 13. In the case we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we immediately delete this from our servers. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us so that we will be able to do necessary actions.</p>

<h2>Changes to This Privacy Policy</h2>

<p>We may update our Privacy Policy from time to time. Thus, we advise you to review this page periodically for any changes. We will notify you of any changes by posting the new Privacy Policy on this page. These changes are effective immediately, after they are posted on this page.</p>

<h2>Contact Us</h2>

<p>If you have any questions or suggestions about our Privacy Policy, do not hesitate to <a href="https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?board=4.0">contact us</a>.</p>

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 04:05:41 PM »
Thank you. I'm not promising I'll copy it verbatim, but I'll bear it in mind.

I'll need a little bit of time to think where to best slot it all in. I'd argue it's relatively low on the priority list since I don't explain an ICO/GDPR complaint against a Web forum anytime soon, but I do agree that it should happen at some point :)

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 04:32:35 PM »
Oh, you don't need to use my text. I just used a privacy policy generator. You can also get generators for Cookie policies if you want one specifically for that and even for site terms and conditions. You just tell the generator who you are and what your site is about and it spits out the text.

You probably know that, but it took me under 20 seconds to create that so I don't care how much you use. Just here's something to copy/paste if you have 2 mins kind of thing.