Distances on the Flat Earth Model
« on: March 08, 2019, 06:47:01 AM »
How is the distance between two points given their respective latitude and longitude calculated in the flat earth model? Does it depend on what flat earth map is used?

Mysfit

Re: Distances on the Flat Earth Model
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 06:55:18 AM »
Yes, there are varying models with varying scales.
For instance, the monopole one has the North Pole at the centre, squashing things near the North Pole and stretching things at the South Pole.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 06:59:08 AM »
Yes, there are varying models with varying scales.
For instance, the monopole one has the North Pole at the centre, squashing things near the North Pole and stretching things at the South Pole.
Which map is the most accepted one?

Mysfit

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 07:24:28 AM »
I believe Monopole, but it’s hard to pin folks down to their model.
Monopole seems to get the most stuff on the wiki, so I feel safe in saying it’s the baseline, at least.

SeaCritique

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 04:36:05 PM »
The Antarctica page on the Wiki shows two models, including the Mono-Pole Model.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »
I believe Monopole, but it’s hard to pin folks down to their model.
Monopole seems to get the most stuff on the wiki, so I feel safe in saying it’s the baseline, at least.
How does one calculate the distance between two points given their latitude and longitude on the AE/Gleason map and the Monopole map?

Offline TomFoolery

• Seeking truth, the flatter the better
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 05:47:50 PM »
How does one calculate the distance between two points given their latitude and longitude on the AE/Gleason map and the Monopole map?

That's a little difficult because many FE'ers believe nobody knows the actual size of the flat earth.

Some take the 24k mile circumference of the globe model and unwrap that to say it's about 24,000 miles in diameter.
In that case just divide the 12k mile radius by the 15 degree lines or whatever latitude lines they have.
The equator is also about half way between the center and the outside edge.

Offline jimster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 11:03:30 PM »
I have never seen a FE map with a scale. If I did, I would immediately start measuring known distances. Willing to take all bets I would find they are wrong. If RE, no FE map will ever have the right distances per Gauss's theorem.

On the UN/polar projection map most often shown, you can easily see that Australia is about half again the width of USA. Odometers, geodesic surveys, google maps, a bajillion sources agree the US is 3000 mi wide and Australia is 2700.

Good luck getting a FE to admit they don't have a map or show you one.
I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.