Thork

Re: Merkin Executions
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 01:00:32 PM »
Like don't execute people. It's been shown pretty conclusively that it is an utterly ineffective method of punishment.
??? They never commit a crime ever again. I'm not sure there is any other punishment that is quite so effective.

Rama Set

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 01:09:39 PM »
Like don't execute people. It's been shown pretty conclusively that it is an utterly ineffective method of punishment.
??? They never commit a crime ever again. I'm not sure there is any other punishment that is quite so effective.

If you are only concerned about one person (it's you so obviously) sure. If you are concerned about society as a whole you are wrong.

Ghost of V

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 03:48:17 PM »
I believe that Death Penalty should remain a badass handgun to kill monsters with, not a justice device.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 03:54:59 PM »
If you are only concerned about one person (it's you so obviously) sure. If you are concerned about society as a whole you are wrong.

Keeping a person in prison or attempting to rehabilitate is a greater burden on society than killing them. You don't have to clothe, feed, and give healthcare to a corpse.

Rama Set

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 04:23:45 PM »

Keeping a person in prison or attempting to rehabilitate is a greater burden on society than killing them. You don't have to clothe, feed, and give healthcare to a corpse.

There is a couple problems with this:

-You are ignoring the lengthly appeal process.
-Society is more than dollars n bitcoins

Ghost of V

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »

I don't see the problem here. It's more of a symptom of our society and how we handle money with the upperclass. It's not the criminals fault that they need water/food/clothing to live, it's our country's fault for being so shitty with money that we feel we're hard pressed to actually take care of prisoners.

Legalizing a few drugs and not throwing petty users in prison might be a good start. Prisons should be reserved for real criminals.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:28:42 PM by Vauxhall »

Thork

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 04:27:04 PM »
Society is more than dollars n bitcoins
When you murder someone, you are opting out of society. You cannot expect the same society that you are out harming, to rush to your aid with dollars and a lifetime of care. You are given a death sentence, because society doesn't want you any more.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »

I'm not ignoring it and I certainly don't endorse it. A court system should not be so entrenched is bureaucratic tomfoolery. Even with the appeals process, the death penalty is typically cheaper than a life without parole sentence. Furthermore, I think it is morally objectionable to sentence a person to waste years of their life in a cell compared to outright shooting them in the head.

Is it? How do you measure your worth, then? Because I'm betting whoever you work for measures it in money.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »
>trying to measure "worth" or anything objectively
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Thork

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »
>trying to measure "worth" or anything objectively

Quote from: Publilius Syrus (circa 1 AD)
Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it.

Rama Set

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 02:04:33 AM »
When you murder someone, you are opting out of society. You cannot expect the same society that you are out harming, to rush to your aid with dollars and a lifetime of care. You are given a death sentence, because society doesn't want you any more.

You are once again, and not surprisingly, focused merely on the individual. On a case by case basis, you are perhaps right, but as a punishment that might change behavior in a group (society), it is proven to be ineffective, and therefore propagates the economic burden that others criticize

Rama Set

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2014, 02:12:30 AM »

I'm not ignoring it and I certainly don't endorse it. A court system should not be so entrenched is bureaucratic tomfoolery. Even with the appeals process, the death penalty is typically cheaper than a life without parole sentence. Furthermore, I think it is morally objectionable to sentence a person to waste years of their life in a cell compared to outright shooting them in the head.

Agreed, but it is nevertheless part of the cost of a death sentence.

Is it? How do you measure your worth, then? Because I'm betting whoever you work for measures it in money.

My job is not the sole measure of my role in society.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 02:45:38 AM »

You are once again, and not surprisingly, focused merely on the individual. On a case by case basis, you are perhaps right, but as a punishment that might change behavior in a group (society), it is proven to be ineffective, and therefore propagates the economic burden that others criticize

Nobody claimed that the death penalty was a deterrent. ???

Rama Set

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2014, 02:50:29 AM »

Nobody claimed that the death penalty was a deterrent. ???

That's good because it's not.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2014, 03:08:48 AM »
Yeah this didn't make sense. Why is it hard to kill people. Give them a sedative and a big  dose ofa drug that makes you die. ???
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2014, 03:58:44 AM »

It is, actually, unless you're already rich. Your impact on society is limited to how much wealth flows through you. Anything you do, hobbies, charity, etc. require that you have wealth.

Rama Set

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 04:24:44 AM »

It is, actually, unless you're already rich. Your impact on society is limited to how much wealth flows through you. Anything you do, hobbies, charity, etc. require that you have wealth.

Incorrect on every front.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 06:40:42 AM »
Put them to sleep with anesthesia then suffocate them with a plastic sheet. simple.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Rama Set

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »
Put them to sleep with anesthesia then suffocate them with a plastic sheet. simple.

You sound like you have some experience.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »

You sound like you have some experience.

irrelevant.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza