Gateway Musicians
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:16:25 PM »
I can remember not being too concerned with music as a child and it wasn't until I was 10 years old or so that I heard the band which would ignite my love for music.  Who was that musician for you, either that turned you on to music in general or to a specific genre?

Nirvana was the band that really got me turned on to music.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Gateway Musicians
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 10:24:46 PM »
System of a Down

I no longer listen to it or anything remotely similar, but it was the first band I really "listened" to.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
I'm the same way with Nirvana, I don't really listen to them or that type anymore.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:26:09 PM »
Trans-Siberian Orchestra opened me to... well, music that is not classical. I didn't care much for modern music until I was 16 or so.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think AC/DC.

Adolf Hipster

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 10:41:38 PM »
System of a Down

I no longer listen to it or anything remotely similar, but it was the first band I really "listened" to.
I used to really like them. I still listen to them from time to time.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 11:08:06 PM »
System of a Down

I used to really like them. I still listen to them from time to time.

I still listen to them a lot.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 12:26:38 AM »
Queen got me out of my country-music upbringing.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 01:16:26 AM »
For me it was Primus. I have fond memories of their music, but sadly it sounds better in my head than in my headphones these days.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 01:20:33 AM »
Death Cab for Cutie and Avett Brothers were the two bands that really pushed me to the music I listen to nowadays.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 02:17:28 AM »
The Legend of Zelda and "Weird Al" Yankovic. :P The Zelda series was my earliest musical love. Up until I was like 15 years old, I literally did not care about music and had no music I cared for...except Zelda music. The game's soundtracks simply enchanted me, possibly because I was so engrossed in the worlds anyway. Then Weird Al, I'm guessing I have him to thank for my "I love everything", too, since listening to all his stuff religiously basically means that I grew up with every single genre equally, from rap to country to electronic music to piano ballads to what-have-you. It wasn't 'til 2010 I started actually caring about music, though, which I have Owl City to thank for (yeah yeah). I dunno, his lyrics just represented the desire to get away from reality into some abstract dream world for me and he reminded me of myself, so I identified with a lot of stuff and just liked the dreamy music. At this point I mostly listened to pop and electronic music.

Sometime in late 2011 was probably when my obsession with music started. That was spurred on by myself when I was getting sick of saying "I don't like x genre" and wondering if I could just shut down my mental barriers and get myself to like things that people tell me "you just don't like it, that's fine, you can't change that". Obviously, it worked. I can't really recall if there was a singular artist that kickstarted it...

65daysofstatic was recommended by a friend and they had the first instrumental music I've ever liked. From there I found Port Blue, which still remains my favourite. I guess my taste was just diversifying as I found myself wanting to know as many artists as possible and experience a massive range of music; I was just really hungry for music, wanting to find more and more and more. That's around the point I started asking friends to recommend things to me, then made a little thread here tentatively asking for people to recommend me stuff, thinking nobody would really care enough to do so. So I've got you guys to thank, to, for giving me tons of pages of music. :]

Anyway, yeah, it sucks that I can't really track which artists made me do what and when very well, but I can very easily say Weird Al and Owl City are the two main reasons I listen to music like I do. And now that Arcade Fire has done the once-per-eon dethroning of my favourite musical artist, I feel confident that my taste is maturing too. I'm feeling less and less satisfied with more simple and generic artists...though I'm not letting that get to my head and getting all pretentious, superior, arrogant and egotistical about my taste. :P

So yeah music and things
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 02:19:45 AM »
The Legend of Zelda and "Weird Al" Yankovic. :P The Zelda series was my earliest musical love. Up until I was like 15 years old, I literally did not care about music and had no music I cared for...except Zelda music. The game's soundtracks simply enchanted me, possibly because I was so engrossed in the worlds anyway. Then Weird Al, I'm guessing I have him to thank for my "I love everything", too, since listening to all his stuff religiously basically means that I grew up with every single genre equally, from rap to country to electronic music to piano ballads to what-have-you. It wasn't 'til 2010 I started actually caring about music, though, which I have Owl City to thank for (yeah yeah). I dunno, his lyrics just represented the desire to get away from reality into some abstract dream world for me and he reminded me of myself, so I identified with a lot of stuff and just liked the dreamy music. At this point I mostly listened to pop and electronic music.

Sometime in late 2011 was probably when my obsession with music started. That was spurred on by myself when I was getting sick of saying "I don't like x genre" and wondering if I could just shut down my mental barriers and get myself to like things that people tell me "you just don't like it, that's fine, you can't change that". Obviously, it worked. I can't really recall if there was a singular artist that kickstarted it...

65daysofstatic was recommended by a friend and they had the first instrumental music I've ever liked. From there I found Port Blue, which still remains my favourite. I guess my taste was just diversifying as I found myself wanting to know as many artists as possible and experience a massive range of music; I was just really hungry for music, wanting to find more and more and more. That's around the point I started asking friends to recommend things to me, then made a little thread here tentatively asking for people to recommend me stuff, thinking nobody would really care enough to do so. So I've got you guys to thank, to, for giving me tons of pages of music. :]

Anyway, yeah, it sucks that I can't really track which artists made me do what and when very well, but I can very easily say Weird Al and Owl City are the two main reasons I listen to music like I do. And now that Arcade Fire has done the once-per-eon dethroning of my favourite musical artist, I feel confident that my taste is maturing too. I'm feeling less and less satisfied with more simple and generic artists...though I'm not letting that get to my head and getting all pretentious, superior, arrogant and egotistical about my taste. :P

So yeah music and things

Do you have a gateway dadrock musician/band?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 02:25:54 AM »
Ooh, good question...hmm...actually, yes! Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Doors. CCR someone here recommended and I listened to them with a very "okay...here comes old dadrock stuff :[" mindset...and ended up loving them. I was kinda skeptical, but when I loved the next album of theirs recommended, I started second guessing myself, then when I heard The Doors' eponymous album it really pushed me into the "huh, maybe age has nothing to do with quality after all" train of thought. It still took some beating down with more recommendations on the list, and I think "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was the one that finally put it in its grave, 'cause that album was a masterpiece. So CCR, The Doors and The Beatles triple-teamed my disdain for dadrock, I think. :D
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 02:35:00 AM »
Queen got me out of my country-music upbringing.

Me too, I also used to listen to a lot of Billy Joel.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 05:30:34 AM »
SCOOTER

The Mastery.

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 05:32:39 AM »
CCR is a great dadrock break in band.  I think they may have been my dadrock gateway band too.

Rama Set

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 12:38:38 PM »
Faith No More

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 10:05:50 AM »

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 10:08:08 AM »
Metallica, Pantera, and Slayer, amongst others. 

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »
Muse for me. Absolution was the first album I ever bought with my own money. Needless to say it blew my mind.

Because of my early love for Muse, it upsets me now when I hear their modern hip-hop-y stuff.