Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #900 on: April 01, 2019, 06:32:08 PM »
Doesn't sound as fun as slapping skaven and chaos warriors with a shield and then, with great prejudice, cleaving their heads with an axe in brutal fashion.
The Mastery.

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 01, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »
Doesn't sound as fun as slapping skaven and chaos warriors with a shield and then, with great prejudice, cleaving their heads with an axe in brutal fashion.
It doesn't sound as fun, correct. It is though. ;)
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 01, 2019, 11:24:17 PM »
I wanted to enjoy Titanfall 2 more than I actually did, but I just can't get myself to enjoy shooters. I couldn't help but think "this is good...for a shooter" the entire time. It just felt monotonous after an hour or so. And I didn't find the story interesting at all so there wasn't even that to pull me through it.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 02, 2019, 10:41:03 AM »
I wanted to enjoy Titanfall 2 more than I actually did, but I just can't get myself to enjoy shooters. I couldn't help but think "this is good...for a shooter" the entire time. It just felt monotonous after an hour or so. And I didn't find the story interesting at all so there wasn't even that to pull me through it.
Yeah, the story isn't red dead 2 or the last of us material. But the level design makes up for its shortcomings and then some.

You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 03, 2019, 12:33:57 AM »
I 100% agree on that point. It's incredible how clear they made it how you are to progress without being in your face. I never struggled to get places. And that time jumping level was phenomenal start to finish. I went through the whole thing only punching and kicking.

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 14, 2019, 09:13:03 PM »
I bounce around between several games and systems.  Experimenting with this setup on a few driving games on the PS4.  Rather fun with the VR system on Gran Tourismo.

« Reply #906 on: May 02, 2019, 04:11:29 PM »
Risk of Rain 2. If you want a fun $20 game with up to 4 person co-op, check it out. It's on Steam, and still in EA but completely worth the price tag as is imo.

And as always, hit me up if you want to play.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 02, 2019, 07:33:39 PM »
Still playing Overwatch competitive because I'm a masochist.

Also been playing Grid 2, the perfectly enjoyable but kind of cheesy and lacklustre sequel to Race Driver: Grid, which is still one of Codemasters' best racing games.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 04, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »
Still playing Overwatch
Why aren't you on my buttlenet friends list already? PM'ing my tag.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 24, 2019, 07:02:49 PM »
Tried Splitgate: Arena Warfare. This is an arena shooter billed as Unreal Tournament meets Portal. In terms of feel it lacks the precision of the former and the experimental fun of the latter. Movement feels rather slow, and aiming is really whacky, especially thanks to the overwrought crosshair design. It does feature several options for customising mouse movement, but no matter what sens and smoothing combination I tried, it felt like I was either stuck in molasses or spinning nauseatingly on an oil slick. It's an interesting idea, but in practice it feels flimsy and unsatisfying. As far as free arena shooters go the abandoned UT alpha is better, but if you really want to play an arena shooter in 2019 it might be best just to drop a few quid (or "bucks") on the old Unreal games instead.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 29, 2019, 05:57:07 PM »
Rime is free on the Epic Store so I decided to check it out. The game was much shorter than I was expecting, and I think the story got kind of silly at the end. I know I'm not supposed to go into a game expecting a subtle story but hoo boy that got brain-numbingly obvious towards the end. And it was in fact disappointing to go from the mysterious time/space warping tower puzzle to... that. Not that you can't talk about that in a game or whatever, but I think you could probably talk about it in a more interesting, less silly way. When you unlock stage select at the end of the main story there's a definite sense of "oh come on".

The basic premise is you play a kid washed up on a mysterious island with an even more mysterious tower on it. You complete puzzles in and around the tower, mostly by climbing up white things, shouting at glowing green things, picking up glowing blue things, and aligning glowing yellow things. Most of the puzzles are pretty simple, but it's really the things that you make happen by accomplishing them that are cool. It's a low risk high reward type deal, and that isn't really a bad thing, I don't think games have to be super challenging to be good, and just watching stuff happen in this game is pretty cool even if it is all predetermined.

While it was an enjoyable experience, I think the controls could have been tightened up a little bit. The use button and the jump button are both mapped to X/A and I lost count of the number of times I should have been using something but ended up jumping in the air to no purpose, since the "you can use this" indicator shows up a little bit before you can actually use it. The climbing mechanics, particularly where you are jumping between ledges on opposing walls, could also have been tightened up. The avatar in those situations would often flit his arm in and out in rapid succession and then suddenly decide to start moving back the way he'd come from.

The game is at its best in its visual level design. Pretty much everything in the game looks nice, really nice. And aside from the wonky mechanics I mentioned above, the different areas are very interesting to explore, each having its own unique aesthetic with usually quite a few secrets to discover. The way areas loop around on themselves and the "oh that's why I had to go all the way over there" sort of thing is really cool, and I think generally it does a good job of putting you in the protagonist's shoes as he gasps in amazement at shit getting done when you solve a puzzle. The areas are actually quite small and self-contained, but they feel large thanks to the chunky aesthetic. There is some back-tracking and it can become tedious at times but none of the levels is really big enough to make it a chore unless you get lost, which you could in some of the infrequent slightly more obtuse sections.

I did not like the soundtrack. It is not poorly done, but let's just say there's only so much syrup a stack of pancakes can handle, and this isn't a particularly big stack. Something more restrained would have benefited the atmosphere immensely, but trying really hard to emotionally manipulate the player is kind of what this game is all about on a presentational level so whatever I guess. The sound design is a little wonky, some things sound really good, some things sound kind of grating. Throughout the game you have a sort of Navi type helper in the form of a fox that leads you through certain sequences, its barking sound is way more annoying than "Hey! Listen!" ever was. It is super shrill and it doesn't stop until you do the thing the fox wants you to do—one section in the fourth area is particularly bad for this.

Rime is a short, nice looking, fairly low effort puzzle game in which you are rewarded with cool stuff happening, but it has a story that gets treated really badly towards the end, and the cheap emotional manipulation that goes along with that was, for me at least, a sour note on the end of an otherwise generally enjoyable experience. It's free on the Epic Store until the 30th of May, so if you don't mind deigning to sort of but not actually support the most evil company in gaming ever and you haven't already played it, why not grab it?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: May 30, 2019, 07:11:27 AM »
I loved Rime. Yeah, it was kind of light for $30 (I played it when it came out), but the art style and alien looking buildings really appeal to me.

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 30, 2019, 07:41:38 PM »
Anyone play Marvel Strike Force? I am addicted to this game.
BobLawBlah.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 31, 2019, 02:22:20 AM »
I tried Strike Force and played for a month or two before I got sick of it. Glad you can find enjoyment in it, but there's such relentless and unforgivingly awful grinding and RNG that tries to push you to pay, pay, pay that I just couldn't take it. I like the combat system, but the rest of the game nullified any enjoyment I got from that.

Marvel Future Fight, though, I play daily. There's definitely a pay-to-win element but it's friendly to f2p players, and I find the gameplay a lot more challenging and the overall game mechanics much more friendly to active play rather than the grind.

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 31, 2019, 11:17:15 AM »
The grind does suck the life out of my soul. Ha. I just get sick enjoyment of destroying other people's squads.

Never heard of Future Fight. Might have to check it out.
BobLawBlah.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #915 on: May 31, 2019, 04:32:50 PM »
On the notion of free puzzle games, Cyan's most recent obtuse Mystlike Obduction is free on GOG for the next 20 hours. And on the notion of free x-likes, procedural first person melee roguelike City of Brass is free on Epic Store this week. Haven't played either of them yet but they look pretty good.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: June 15, 2019, 04:07:44 AM »
I acquired Dauntless back when it was released for free on the Epic store (hi sadaam), but I started playing it just a few days ago. I find it to be a decent alternative to Monster Hunter World which runs at 25-40 FPS on my potato even on all the lowest settings, which is utterly unacceptable. It's fun for the most part and runs well, but some of the beasties has got some really dumb gimmicks which can be annoying, but 7/10, p. good for being Monster Hunter with Fortnite graphics...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:09:43 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: June 17, 2019, 06:53:26 AM »
Final Fantasy VII

it's p. good
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Online honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 06, 2019, 03:30:37 AM »
Outer Wilds

Yes, this is exclusive to Epic on PC for the next year or so, because life isn't fair, but the game itself is good. You play as an astronaut trapped in a time loop - every 22 minutes the sun explodes in a supernova and wipes out the solar system, with the player character waking up where the game begins with their memories intact, but nothing else. There's no quest log, no set objectives, only the ship's log where all your observations and discoveries are automatically recorded. With every 22-minute cycle, you have a chance to find out something new on your explorations, whether about the solar system at large, your present circumstances, or the obligatory mysterious precursor race that lived in the system centuries ago. Despite how bleak it all sounds, there's something very optimistic and wholesome about the game and its attitude towards exploration and scientific discovery. I will say that the game does lose some of its charm in its later stages, when you need to start hunting down specific pieces of data and struggling against the time constraints and rapidly-shifting terrains of certain planets, rather than just taking off in any random direction and seeing what you can find, but there isn't much they could have done to avoid that. I still wholeheartedly recommend this charming game.

The Sinking City

Another Epic exclusive, and a major letdown. Based on the works (but not all of them, due to legal tomfoolery) of H.P. Lovecraft, you play as a generic dark-haired white guy who's also a generic private detective investigating a strange city that's heavily flooded, overrun with monsters, and seems to be hiding more than one dark secret. I haven't played a ton of this game yet, but it doesn't take long to discover that its general format is fatally flawed. In between cases, you run from one point on the big, empty map to another, and interact with precisely nothing along the way. You can't go into most buildings. You can't talk to anyone. You can't do anything but travel from one point to another. There is some combat, and it sucks. There's no real combat system, just you producing a gun and firing from the hip at monsters that can either nimbly dodge your bullets or absorb a huge number of them before dying, and for some inexplicable reason you can carry barely any ammo, or even materials for crafting ammo. Both of which are pretty rare, or would be if not for a glitch that lets supply closets constantly replenish themselves. You get into one fight, and that's it, you're cleaned out. Time to waste a few minutes scrounging up more ammo. There isn't even any currency with which to buy more, because this setting uses a bullshit barter system in which people hand out bullets to each other. What the hell were they thinking?

The cases you have to investigate are pretty neat. It's kind of like L.A. Noire with a supernatural twist, and very refreshingly, the game does not hold your hand with quest markers or even spelling out what your next step needs to be most of the time. You're given the information you need, and you have the tools - usually just looking up a few keywords in one of the city's databases - to find what you're looking for. It's genuinely cool, and turns out to be the game's saving grace. It'll be enough to pull me through the game, but I'd caution anyone to be sure they really want this before spending money on a game that, frankly, is this shitty. Oh, and I didn't even mention the fucked-up animations, wonky physics, and hideous screen tearing. On a technical level, this game is almost (but not quite) as shoddily put together as a Bethesda title. Huge disappointment.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:03:30 PM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 22, 2019, 07:53:04 PM »
I bounce around between several games and systems.  Experimenting with this setup on a few driving games on the PS4.  Rather fun with the VR system on Gran Tourismo.

Nice, I just got myself a wheel and chair recently to go with my Vive. Playing Project Cars 2 at the moment but I havent found time yet to try it with GT Sport. I really suck at driving powerful rear wheel drive vehicles.  :'(

EDIT: strange that the image is sideways on this forum. o_O
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 07:54:49 PM by ChrisTP »
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?