Offline LuggerSailor

• 12 men on the Moon, 11 of them Scouts.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the Advantage of a Globe Theory?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 10:43:40 PM »
Well.....I was in the US Navy and we certainly knew the earth is a globe and we certainly didn't use any flat earth maps for navigation.

Why being in the navy convinces you we live on a globe? I too was in the navy stationed on a ship for six years and i'm not convinced we live on a globe. If you where to remove all you ever heard about NASA, would you still be convince you live on a globe based on what you observe around you? If so, can you please give me some examples?
Stationed on a ship for six years, did you ever cast off? You don't seem to know what PLAIN sailing is.
LuggerSailor.
Sailor and Navigator.

Offline Yendor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »
Well.....I was in the US Navy and we certainly knew the earth is a globe and we certainly didn't use any flat earth maps for navigation.

Why being in the navy convinces you we live on a globe? I too was in the navy stationed on a ship for six years and i'm not convinced we live on a globe. If you where to remove all you ever heard about NASA, would you still be convince you live on a globe based on what you observe around you? If so, can you please give me some examples?
Stationed on a ship for six years, did you ever cast off? You don't seem to know what PLAIN sailing is.

Sorry, It was 5 years, i spent almost 1 year in school. Yes, it did cast off more times than I care to remember.

plane sailing
Word Origin
noun, Navigation
sailing on a course plotted without reference to the curvature of the earth.

Does this help you understand plane sailing.

Online Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 11:48:02 PM »
It's always funny when a self-righteous asshole chooses to correct someone's spelling, only to find himself "correcting" it to a colloquial misspelling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_sailing
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

geckothegeek

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 12:22:35 AM »

It is really useless to debate the point with flat earthers. I really believe there are really no real flat earthers on this forum . But here are some things for you to ponder.

Just one example of being in the navy would be enough to convince me we live on a globe.
You are the first person who served in the navy that I have ever heard  that was not convinced that  that we live on a globe.
Here are some things for you to ponder.:
The one word was "The Horizon"
Flat earth says that the horizon is just an indistinct blur that fades away in an infinite distance.
Round earth says that the horizon is a distinct line where sea and sky meet on the ocean.
Due to the curvature of the earth the distance to the horizon depends on the height of the observer and can be determined by a simple formula. The higher you are the farther you can see to the horizon.
So, when you were in the navy, didn't you ever observe the horizon ? Or did you ever wonder why the crow's nest or certain types of radars were mounted on the highest masts on the ship ? Did you ever ask a Radarman (RD) why the range on some  of his surface search radars was limited by the curvature of the earth ? Didn't you ever ask a Petty Officer or a Commissioned Officer how those flat oceanic charts were made and what was their source ?

One more thing. Did you ever notice  that when you sailed out to sea, after a while you could no longer see the land ? And that if a ship sailed over the horizon if you looked at it through a telescope you could no longer see it at the point where it disappeared over the horizon ? Did you ever notice that the hull disappeared from view first and the last thing you saw before it disappeared was the top of the highest mast ?

I'm surprised if you really were in the navy why you would have any doubts about the earth being a globe.
If you will just think about it or do it yourself, I don't see why  you would have any doubts that the earth is a globe. ::) ???

I served in the navy for just under four years. But only about three years was actual sea duty due to time spent in boot camp and technical training. My highest rating/rank was only as an ET1 so I am not claiming to be any expert on the subject.

And finally the bottom line is simply that there  is ample credible evidence that the earth is a globe and absolutely no credible evidence that the earth is a flat disc surrounded by a ring or wall of ice and covered with a dome of ice.....and a few other flat earth fantasies , et cetera , et cetera and so forth.

Incidentally, if it is any consolation to you jroa I am thinking of abandoning this website. After a while it just gets boring from hearing all the flat earth replies over and over, ad infinitum , ad nauseum. ("Denial", "Fake", "Round Earth Conspiracy")So I will apologize to you personally and all the other flat earthers. I know I have probably been a bore to you, too. I won't promise this post will be my last.
I'll probably stick around just for the fun of it like a lot of others.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:53:01 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline DoctorMoe

• Flat? Hell yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 03:51:31 AM »
This thread has gotten off topic, from the original question or wish of the person who started it.

"All paths lead to Rome."

It seems all discussion of any kind lead to FErs and GErs duking it out.
Do the arguments ever sway anyone?

I keep hearing GErs saying that all observable phenomena point to a Globe earth.
But I beg to differ.
When I observe reality, I see a flat geocentric earth.
I mean, when I REALLY look. There are so many things that Globe Earthers really have no good explanations for. -
When I think with the thoughts that were supplied to me to think with, then I have doubts about FE, because my brain bounces ideas off itself and my eyes look inward at the eyes, and I see nothing of the reality that is actually around me.

Whether flat or globe, the same important facts apply to Earth: God is One. God is Love. God is Good.

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 06:28:26 AM »
This thread has gotten off topic, from the original question or wish of the person who started it.

Very true,   and no one is ever convinced by the arguments for the other side.   So what is the attraction of a flat earth?    Is it just the conspiracy mindset,  jumping at shadows?

Suppose for the sake of argument the earth really was flat,  and there is a global conspiracy to hide the fact that it's flat,  and what's more they fake space travel to make money.   

So this all powerfull conspiracy has the power to convince (almost) everyone that the earth is a globe,   but  there is no agenda beyond that,   what is the purpose of the deception? 

DoctorMoe,  has a  religious view, and it's Satan,  Mark Sargent thinks it's snow globe, controlled by Reptillian Aliens,  Fuhrer Eric Dodo thinks it's masonic jewish something or other ( I couldn't bring myself to read it all) 

So rather than ask,  what is the advantage of a globe,  I'll ask the companion question,  what is the purpose of the conspiracy?    Does it need to have a purpose?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:56:29 AM by Rayzor »

Offline Yendor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 02:30:26 PM »

It is really useless to debate the point with flat earthers. I really believe there are really no real flat earthers on this forum . But here are some things for you to ponder.

Just one example of being in the navy would be enough to convince me we live on a globe.
You are the first person who served in the navy that I have ever heard  that was not convinced that  that we live on a globe.
Flat earth says that the horizon is just an indistinct blur that fades away in an infinite distance.
Round earth says that the horizon is a distinct line where sea and sky meet on the ocean.
Due to the curvature of the earth the distance to the horizon depends on the height of the observer and can be determined by a simple formula. The higher you are the farther you can see to the horizon.
So, when you were in the navy, didn't you ever observe the horizon ? Or did you ever wonder why the crow's nest or certain types of radars were mounted on the highest masts on the ship ? Did you ever ask a Radarman (RD) why the range on some  of his surface search radars was limited by the curvature of the earth ? Didn't you ever ask a Petty Officer or a Commissioned Officer how those flat oceanic charts were made and what was their source ?

One more thing. Did you ever notice  that when you sailed out to sea, after a while you could no longer see the land ? And that if a ship sailed over the horizon if you looked at it through a telescope you could no longer see it at the point where it disappeared over the horizon ? Did you ever notice that the hull disappeared from view first and the last thing you saw before it disappeared was the top of the highest mast ?

I'm surprised if you really were in the navy why you would have any doubts about the earth being a globe.
If you will just think about it or do it yourself, I don't see why  you would have any doubts that the earth is a globe. ::) ???

I served in the navy for just under four years. But only about three years was actual sea duty due to time spent in boot camp and technical training. My highest rating/rank was only as an ET1 so I am not claiming to be any expert on the subject.

And finally the bottom line is simply that there  is ample credible evidence that the earth is a globe and absolutely no credible evidence that the earth is a flat disc surrounded by a ring or wall of ice and covered with a dome of ice.....and a few other flat earth fantasies , et cetera , et cetera and so forth.

Incidentally, if it is any consolation to you jroa I am thinking of abandoning this website. After a while it just gets boring from hearing all the flat earth replies over and over, ad infinitum , ad nauseum. ("Denial", "Fake", "Round Earth Conspiracy")So I will apologize to you personally and all the other flat earthers. I know I have probably been a bore to you, too. I won't promise this post will be my last.

I'm not going through all your miss guided explanations for a globe Earth, but one thing struck me was if you were in fact an ET you would certainly know why radar is mounted high on the ship. It is so the crew doesn't get fried on the main deck. You must have never heard, "man aloft, turn off all radar". I also have seen many ships go out of sight and using binoculars the ship would return setting just as pretty as can be before it disappeared.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »
Don't let Googleotomy (aka Geekwhatever) get under your skin.  We have been dealing with him for years.  He keeps promising to go away, but never does. 

geckothegeek

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »
Don't let Googleotomy (aka Geekwhatever) get under your skin.  We have been dealing with him for years.  He keeps promising to go away, but never does.

Don't worry, jroa. And we "Round Earthers" have been dealing with jroa for years and we (at least some of us ) also know how to deal with him and  this website for what it is.

Sorry to disappoint, you jroa . But I may be around for a while. For the reason, read my signature line on the other forum.

But maybe it would be better just to make these websites flat earth for flat earthers only.

I think the old "Moon Bounce" topic  got a little under jroa's skin. I shall refrain from using any of the short hands for laughter on this post.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:59:05 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »

I'm not going through all your miss guided explanations for a globe Earth, but one thing struck me was if you were in fact an ET you would certainly know why radar is mounted high on the ship. It is so the crew doesn't get fried on the main deck. You must have never heard, "man aloft, turn off all radar". I also have seen many ships go out of sight and using binoculars the ship would return setting just as pretty as can be before it disappeared.

It is a simple fact  that the reason some surface radars are mounted on the highest mast is that their range is limited by the distance to the horizon which is limited by the height of the radar antenna. It is all part of radar theory.

It is also part of the spacing of microwave repeater stations on the earth. On the frequencies used on some systems the range is limited to line of sight which is the distances to the horizon.

The same reason why crow's nests are mounted as high as possible.

And you cannot restore a ship which has passed over the horizon with a telescope. Telescopes can only enlarge an object which is in sight.

Did you ever meet any "flat earthers" when you were in the navy ?

The purpose of this website is flat earth and posting of factual information is not going to change that. So it is really futile to post facts. I will admit I often wonder why "round earthers" do this. I suppose it's all part of some kind of a game if you don't take "flat earthers" seriously.

And you cannot deny the fact that the earth is a globe just as much as you can prove that earth is a flat disc.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:02:52 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Yendor

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 07:10:25 PM »

It is a simple fact  that the reason some surface radars are mounted on the highest mast is that their range is limited by the distance to the horizon which is limited by the height of the radar antenna. It is all part of radar theory.

It is also part of the spacing of microwave repeater stations on the earth. On the frequencies used on some systems the range is limited to line of sight which is the distances to the horizon.

And you cannot restore a ship which has passed over the horizon with a telescope. Telescopes can only enlarge an object which is in sight.

The purpose of this website is flat earth and posting of factual information is not going to change that. So it is really futile to post facts. I will admit I often wonder why "round earthers" do this. I suppose it's all part of some kind of a game if you don't take "flat earthers" seriously.

And you cannot deny the fact that the earth is a globe just as much as you can prove that earth is a flat disc.

When I was in the navy I never thought about a flat Earth, therefore I never asked anyone about it. I'm sure you've heard of over the horizon radar. Another thing, How could you be an E6 in only four years without shipping over? ET must be a very critical rate now. Tell me this, If NASA never existed would you still be so convinced we live on a globe?

geckothegeek

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 01:14:04 AM »

When I was in the navy I never thought about a flat Earth, therefore I never asked anyone about it. I'm sure you've heard of over the horizon radar. Another thing, How could you be an E6 in only four years without shipping over? ET must be a very critical rate now. Tell me this, If NASA never existed would you still be so convinced we live on a globe?

1.I am a old geezer of the dinosaur age . LOL. This was during the Korean Conflict.
The radar in question was a relic of WWII. The SG-1b. The characteristics of the frequency of its  operation was line of sight and so limited its range was so limited to the distance to the horizon. We had to hoist the sails to get underway. In ET School the classes were held in caves and night classes were illuminated with candles and oil lamps. The winter uniform was Class A Bearskins.

Naturally if we were in port, you had to always check with the Officer On Deck to be sure there were no persons working on the masts before you operated the radar.
The height of the antenna was such that they might receive the radiation. The height was simply at the highest point for the highest range. Only persons working aloft would be in danger and that was the reason for not operating the radar in those instances. At least except in rare cases the radar operated 24/7 while underway at sea.

2. It was common in those days to enlist as an ETSR and "Make First Class" in four years. Just about all my ET shipmates were ET1's at the end of their enlistment. Most were in only because they were drafted but had the choice to enlist in the Navy. The re-enlistment rate of ET's on the ship on which I served was 0%. My promotions were regularly every year. This was nothing unusual. The only ETC's at that time were WWII veterans who were either on capital ships or instructors in ET School.

3.I had had enough studies in public schools and college in geography and a few courses in surveying to know that the earth had been thoroughly surveyed and - In the words of Colonel Pickering (LOL) -  it was "common knowledge" that the earth is a globe. NASA seems to be the  scape goat of the FES. NASA had nothing to do with my knowing that the earth is a globe. The service in the navy was just an opportunity to observe the obvious. Of course, I had been indoctrinated by those satanists and evil minds in school and college to believe in the globe. But I  have at least several billions in the world who are also of like mind. And there are very if any real FE believers.

So much for the globe and my illustrious naval career. LOL. My apologies for getting off topic.

You can "believe" in a "flat earth" all you want, but that doesn't affect the fact that the earth is a planet in the shape of a globe- Just like Mercury, Venus, Mars.....etc.
Have a good day !

In closing:
Have you ever discussed your belief in a flat earth with any of your superiors or your Chaplain ?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:47:14 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Yendor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 01:57:01 PM »

1.I am a old geezer of the dinosaur age . LOL. This was during the Korean Conflict.
The radar in question was a relic of WWII. The SG-1b. The characteristics of the frequency of its  operation was line of sight and so limited its range was so limited to the distance to the horizon. We had to hoist the sails to get underway. In ET School the classes were held in caves and night classes were illuminated with candles and oil lamps. The winter uniform was Class A Bearskins.

Naturally if we were in port, you had to always check with the Officer On Deck to be sure there were no persons working on the masts before you operated the radar.
The height of the antenna was such that they might receive the radiation. The height was simply at the highest point for the highest range. Only persons working aloft would be in danger and that was the reason for not operating the radar in those instances. At least except in rare cases the radar operated 24/7 while underway at sea.

2. It was common in those days to enlist as an ETSR and "Make First Class" in four years. Just about all my ET shipmates were ET1's at the end of their enlistment. Most were in only because they were drafted but had the choice to enlist in the Navy. The re-enlistment rate of ET's on the ship on which I served was 0%. My promotions were regularly every year. This was nothing unusual. The only ETC's at that time were WWII veterans who were either on capital ships or instructors in ET School.

3.I had had enough studies in public schools and college in geography and a few courses in surveying to know that the earth had been thoroughly surveyed and - In the words of Colonel Pickering (LOL) -  it was "common knowledge" that the earth is a globe. NASA seems to be the  scape goat of the FES. NASA had nothing to do with my knowing that the earth is a globe. The service in the navy was just an opportunity to observe the obvious. Of course, I had been indoctrinated by those satanists and evil minds in school and college to believe in the globe. But I  have at least several billions in the world who are also of like mind. And there are very if any real FE believers.

So much for the globe and my illustrious naval career. LOL. My apologies for getting off topic.

You can "believe" in a "flat earth" all you want, but that doesn't affect the fact that the earth is a planet in the shape of a globe- Just like Mercury, Venus, Mars.....etc.
Have a good day !

In closing:
Have you ever discussed your belief in a flat earth with any of your superiors or your Chaplain ?

Thank you for your service in the navy. I served during Vietnam, stationed on a guided missile destroyer, trained and worked on the guided missile  launching system, worked in SONAR, fire control and ASROC.

You say Earth is just like Mercury, Venus, Mars , etc. But that is not true. They don't have water and an atmosphere like Earth. I guess you believe gravity is what holds all these planets in place when even the one given credit for it's theory doesn't even believe it.

Newton's thoughts in a private letter:
That gravity should be innate, inherent, and essential to matter, so that one body may act upon another at a distance through a vacuum, without the mediation of anything else, by and through which their action and force may be conveyed from one to another, is to me so great an absurdity, that I believe no man, who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking, can ever fall into it.

Let ma ask you, do you fall into it?

Offline DoctorMoe

• Flat? Hell yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
Yendor wrote:
You say Earth is just like Mercury, Venus, Mars , etc. But that is not true. They don't have water and an atmosphere like Earth. I guess you believe gravity is what holds all these planets in place when even the one given credit for it's theory doesn't even believe it.

That gravity should be innate, inherent, and essential to matter, so that one body may act upon another at a distance through a vacuum, without the mediation of anything else, by and through which their action and force may be conveyed from one to another, is to me so great an absurdity, that I believe no man, who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking, can ever fall into it.

Well said Yendor. I like that you shared this piece. It makes a lot of sense.

I've sat pondering the notion that a bunch of huge balls of gas spun around themselves and condensed, the sun being the biggest of them all, and then, somehow, the planets coalesced in similar style, and *somehow* managed to stay in PERFECT orbit around the sun without its "gravitational field" pulling them out of orbit and into destruction into its own hot mass. Also, as the planets orbit the sun, there is no influence of the larger planets on our own orbit around the sun... like Jupiter's, or our own "gravitational" influence on nearby smaller planets like Mars.

I've found that as I've explored some questions like these with my "Flat Earth eyes" on, they make absolutely no sense.
And as Newton says "no man, who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking, can ever fall into it."
It's been easy to dismiss them as the ideas are absurd.
Whether flat or globe, the same important facts apply to Earth: God is One. God is Love. God is Good.

Offline Yendor

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 03:01:24 PM »
Yendor wrote:

Well said Yendor. I like that you shared this piece. It makes a lot of sense.

I've sat pondering the notion that a bunch of huge balls of gas spun around themselves and condensed, the sun being the biggest of them all, and then, somehow, the planets coalesced in similar style, and *somehow* managed to stay in PERFECT orbit around the sun without its "gravitational field" pulling them out of orbit and into destruction into its own hot mass. Also, as the planets orbit the sun, there is no influence of the larger planets on our own orbit around the sun... like Jupiter's, or our own "gravitational" influence on nearby smaller planets like Mars.

I've found that as I've explored some questions like these with my "Flat Earth eyes" on, they make absolutely no sense.
And as Newton says "no man, who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking, can ever fall into it."
It's been easy to dismiss them as the ideas are absurd.

Both Einstein and Newton and many others don't believe in their own theories. Tesla, in my opinion was the smartest of the bunch. Here is a quote from him about relativity:

quote from Tesla:
"According to the relativists, space has a tendency to curvature owing to an inherent property or presence of celestial bodies. Granting a semblance of reality to this fantastic idea, it is still self-contradictory. Every action is accompanied by an equivalent reaction and the effects of the latter are directly opposite to those of the former. Supposing that the bodies act upon the surrounding space causing curvature of the same, it appears to my simple mind that the curved spaces must react on the bodies and, producing the opposite effects, straighten out the curves. Since action and reaction are coexistent, it follows that the supposed curvature of space is entirely impossible."

We are being duped on many levels. I don't know exactly know why and how they do it but believe me they are.

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 03:14:54 PM »

In Dubai at the Burj Khalifa you can watch the sun set then ride the high speed elevator to the 124th floor. On the way up the set sun will rise again and you can then watch it set a second time.

Offline DoctorMoe

• Flat? Hell yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
In Dubai at the Burj Khalifa you can watch the sun set then ride the high speed elevator to the 124th floor. On the way up the set sun will rise again and you can then watch it set a second time.

Omg. That is awesome. I love that.
Try explaining that one with Globe Theory. lol.

Offline Yendor

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 03:27:40 PM »

I'm sure you don't see it rise again. You are probably seeing the sun again because of clearer atmosphere and less obstacles in the way when you go higher.

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 04:24:36 PM »

Very true,   and no one is ever convinced by the arguments for the other side.   So what is the attraction of a flat earth?    Is it just the conspiracy mindset,  jumping at shadows?

Suppose for the sake of argument the earth really was flat,  and there is a global conspiracy to hide the fact that it's flat,  and what's more they fake space travel to make money.   

So this all powerfull conspiracy has the power to convince (almost) everyone that the earth is a globe,   but  there is no agenda beyond that,   what is the purpose of the deception? 

DoctorMoe,  has a  religious view, and it's Satan,  Mark Sargent thinks it's snow globe, controlled by Reptillian Aliens,  Fuhrer Eric Dodo thinks it's masonic jewish something or other ( I couldn't bring myself to read it all) 

So rather than ask,  what is the advantage of a globe,  I'll ask the companion question,  what is the purpose of the conspiracy?    Does it need to have a purpose?

I'm answering the first question, "so what is the attraction of a flat earth."

My view is that it results from our species having sufficient intelligence to be aware that life is transitory. Everything about the evolution of man has prepared him to survive by fighting off enemies and surmounting obstacles. But there is this inevitable termination to personal existence that can't be fought in any way, so we defeat it literally by denying reality and embracing fantasy to become "victorious."

Damien Hirst nailed it in a piece entitled "The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living." That is why religion appears to be "reasonable" to so many. It is why anti-science is popular with others. Reality is pretty bleak, especially as revealed by modern science - ie the eventual heat death of the universe - it doesn't make for a very good bedtime story.

Penn Jillette.

“If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again.”

And a large segment of society would embrace ways to deny it again.

The second question, "what is the purpose of the conspiracy?" is irrelevant and doesn't matter per my view.

geckothegeek

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 05:33:14 PM »

Have a good day !

In closing:

Thank you for your service in the navy. I served during Vietnam, stationed on a guided missile destroyer, trained and worked on the guided missile  launching system, worked in SONAR, fire control and ASROC.

Let ma ask you, do you fall into it?

By that I meant in general terms the earth is a "Globe Shaped Planet" like Mercury , etc.