Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
What's it like in the Cloud?
« on: December 15, 2021, 01:32:39 PM »
Ok, so Suckgator has pissed me off big time again and I'm thinking it may be time to leave the old school webhost-server model and move my entire web presence to the cloud.

Who's doing what in the cloud? Does it suck more? is it more expensive?

The cool thing about a cloud service is that I could spin up cool servers. I would have root privileges to install cool software. I could close off thousands of unused ports that the Russians are pounding on night and day. I could back it all up in a massive image.

The uncool thing is that it is still expensive per gig and I'm handling about 160 Gb. I don't use a lot of bandwidth so I could go cheap on that angle of it.

Also, I need DV certs for the actual websites and I'm guessing that I may be on my own dealing with some CA to get them instead of a host providing them.

Anybody running webservers from a cloud service?

Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: What's it like in the Cloud?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 03:18:04 PM »
Who's doing what in the cloud? Does it suck more? is it more expensive?
As with most things in life, the answer is it depends. If you just take what you have on traditional hosting, pick it up and set it down in the cloud, you will probably pay more for a worse service. On the other hand, if you take the time to migrate it properly — using managed services like S3 and RDS (assuming you're on AWS) where appropriate, instrumenting your applications for autoscaling, and doing proper capacity planning so that you can buy reserved instances — it can be cheaper, easier and provide better availability.

Most people do something between these two extremes, and that's fine. Doing the cloud "right" is a lot of work, and you don't necessarily need to invest all that time upfront. Just be prepared to do things differently if you want to get your money's worth.

The cool thing about a cloud service is that I could spin up cool servers. I would have root privileges to install cool software. I could close off thousands of unused ports that the Russians are pounding on night and day. I could back it all up in a massive image.
You can do that stuff with a traditional VPS provider too. That's my preference for my personal servers, including the one that runs this forum, because I don't have the requirements of scale to justify proper cloud infrastructure.

Also, I need DV certs for the actual websites and I'm guessing that I may be on my own dealing with some CA to get them instead of a host providing them.
DV is just about as easy to do yourself with Let's Encrypt as it is with a cloud provider.

Anybody running webservers from a cloud service?
That is my full-time job, yes.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 04:35:42 PM »
You can do that stuff with a traditional VPS provider too. That's my preference for my personal servers, including the one that runs this forum, because I don't have the requirements of scale to justify proper cloud infrastructure.

Yeah, that's where I'm getting screwed. The thing is my web host package is not an actual VPS. It is a shared VPS. Nobody on the server has any root privileges.

But here's the fucked-up twist. They have a VPS web hosting package but it is literally 10 times the cost and you only get 120 gig of disk space.

I may just need to search traditional web hosting services more thoroughly.
I saw a hosting special package from Brave that was $99 for a lifetime web hosting. The specs look similar to what I have but at $99 for life, it wouldn't piss me off as bad.

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 06:28:53 PM »

Yeah, that's where I'm getting screwed. The thing is my web host package is not an actual VPS. It is a shared VPS. Nobody on the server has any root privileges.

But here's the fucked-up twist. They have a VPS web hosting package but it is literally 10 times the cost and you only get 120 gig of disk space.

I may just need to search traditional web hosting services more thoroughly.
I saw a hosting special package from Brave that was $99 for a lifetime web hosting. The specs look similar to what I have but at $99 for life, it wouldn't piss me off as bad.

Dr Van Nostrand reviews iBrave lifetime webhosting.

I tried for days to reach a human being on the phone. They only respond to support tickets. I guess it saves wasted time with low level support people.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 07:15:12 PM »
In fairness, 175 GB file is pretty big.  Might be a limit of their OS.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 11:31:19 PM »
In fairness, 175 GB file is pretty big.  Might be a limit of their OS.

I would be ok with it if they said "All You Can Eat In 3  Hours - $3.99" or "All You Can Eat (up to 18 pounds) - $3.99"
BUT THEY SAID "ALL YOU CAN EAT!"

It's a typical Linux web server split up into dozens of small webhosts. I could have my 175 Gb if some people would just scoot over a little.

I've been looking at the arithmetic and I may be able to cobble together an AWS solution affordably.