Offline Rama Set

• Round and round...
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #1020 on: October 17, 2021, 05:27:02 PM »
Tension can come from elements other than physical danger.
Th*rk is the worst person on this website.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: October 17, 2021, 10:35:34 PM »
Yeah, but physical danger shouldn't simply be a non-concern for him either. That's just not the character. Part of Batman's appeal is that he has physical limitations and can't just plow through enemies with brute force.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Rama Set

• Round and round...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: October 17, 2021, 11:30:50 PM »
Yeah, but physical danger shouldn't simply be a non-concern for him either. That's just not the character. Part of Batman's appeal is that he has physical limitations and can't just plow through enemies with brute force.

That’s true. Well hopefully the whole film isn’t like that then because I could see it being a negative, especially if they don’t have enough personal stakes.
Th*rk is the worst person on this website.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: December 27, 2021, 08:41:02 PM »
Another trailer!

So is Batman an invulnerable behemoth or not? He casually no-sells about a hundred bullets all at once, and yet we see him taking care to block and dodge blows in hand-to-hand combat. This isn't about realism; it's about internal consistency. Maybe there'll be a decent explanation for the discrepancy, like it's a dream, or an unreliable account of encountering Batman from a disoriented criminal, but if this is just presented as-is because Reeves or whomever simply thought it looked cool (which it does, to be fair), it'll really annoy me. I can't stand it when movies take the time to establish a baseline for a character or situation and then blatantly contradict themselves later. It's one of the few types of "plot holes" that piss me off and I refuse to overlook.

The rest of the movie looks great. Oh, and I really appreciate how this Batman doesn't have a distracting disguise for his voice the way that Bale and Affleck did. Nobody cares that Bruce Wayne and Batman sound the same. Lots of people have very similar voices. The internal logic of the movie isn't going to collapse in on itself because Bruce Wayne and Batman sound the same and therefore someone must have put together that they're the same person based on that.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 09:43:13 PM by honk »

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: December 29, 2021, 12:59:03 AM »
Easy to hate on the disguised voice in some of the recent movies. But it at least made sense in Batman Begins. You could see why he thought he needed to. It just got a little ridiculous in the Dark Knight.

But I completely agree about the batfleck voice disguise being unnecessary. I’m cautiously optimistic about the new one, but ready to be disappointed.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 13, 2022, 07:39:20 PM »
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batman-pg-13-rating-robert-pattinson-1235152275/

A lot of people on social media are complaining about this, but this is actually good. Batman is a character aimed primarily at children, he always has been, and a movie about him should at least be aimed at families and teenagers. Adult fanboys need to learn to share the franchises of their youth with today's youth. It's too late for Star Wars, but hopefully capeshit can at least in part be saved. Never forget these wise words:

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 15, 2022, 08:29:02 PM »
Wait... why would anyone bitch about the PG-13 rating?  What's the problem?  The Nolan ones were PG-13.  And its not like Batman needs to rip off limbs or anything.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 16, 2022, 09:23:30 PM »
A lot of people strongly prefer R-rated action movies simply because they allow for a more vivid and unfiltered depiction of sex, violence, language, and general intensity, and I think that applies doubly when it comes to a movie that falls firmly on the dark and gritty end of the tonal spectrum. Batman himself won't be killing or mutilating people, but the people he fights, and in particular what looks to be a very murderous version of the Riddler, certainly will be. It's entirely possible to make an excellent R-rated Batman movie where we see the real violence that takes place on the mean streets, we hear how the cops and criminals really talk, and so on. The problem, though, is that Batman movies aren't exactly coming off an assembly line. You can have different versions of the character appear in various video games and TV shows and nobody will really care, but rightly or wrongly, live-action films are higher-profile, and they essentially become a statement that their Batman is more or less the definitive version of him for some time to come - at least until the next Batman movie comes out. To put the high-profile, definitive version of Batman in an R-rated movie means nothing less than excluding kids from enjoying this Batman, and to me, that just seems like a really shitty thing to do.

Of course, there are also the people who are just embarrassed by the idea of capeshit being for kids, and whether they admit it or not, can only bring themselves to enjoy it if they're sure that it's explicitly not meant for kids. That's where people like Zack Snyder fall, as indicated by the needless editing of his cut of JL to include so much alien gore. Like C.S. Lewis pointed out, there's nothing so childish as an attitude like that.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: January 17, 2022, 01:13:32 AM »
But also, The Boys is the best capeshit. Checkmate, PG-13 rating.