Rama Set

Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #1000 on: January 03, 2021, 02:04:13 PM »
I don't remember that scene. I was taking Rama's word for it that there wasn't one. I guess our discussion has a plot hole of its own. Ding!

Lolol

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 03, 2021, 09:56:03 PM »
So they've announced some casting for the Sandman series, and who do they choose to gender-flip from male to female?

Lucien. The librarian

Nothing sexist about that.  ::)
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Rama Set

« Reply #1002 on: February 03, 2021, 10:02:48 PM »
But is she sexy?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 03, 2021, 11:09:09 PM »
Judge for yourself.

"Vivienne Acheampong - IMDb" https://m.imdb.com/name/nm7079414/?ref_=nm_mv_close
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 20, 2021, 04:03:50 PM »
02/04: I didn't know they were making a Netflix show out of that. The cast looks great. In other news:

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-justice-league-snyder-cut-rated-r-by-mpaa

I'm a real man and I watch mature, manly capeshit which is in no way for kids. Oh, and it's coming out in March.

He said it! The Joker actually said "We live in a society!" I unironically love that. What a great meme to pay tribute to.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: March 16, 2021, 03:21:10 AM »
I am astonished to report that Zack Snyder's Justice League is doing pretty well on RT so far. (The Metacritic score is a bit more negative, but then it almost always is.) I wasn't expecting anything unironically good from Snyder, especially not after a few leaked clips revealed some of this movie's appalling edgelord dialogue and laughable CGI, and I'm still not, frankly. I have no doubt it's better than the anodyne theatrical cut, as many of the reviews point out, but does that actually make it a good movie? I guess we'll find out soon enough.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:03:51 PM by honk »

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 16, 2021, 04:45:24 AM »
I doubt it. Justice League's biggest problem was always that it began life as a Zack Snyder movie. It's hard to imagine something more boring than four solid hours of his aesthetic.

It'll almost certainly be better than the mess that was released theatrically but that's such a low bar.

And yet I'll probably watch it. Or at least try to.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 21, 2021, 12:58:06 AM »
I did it. I watched the Snyder cut. Precisely nobody here will be surprised to learn that it's definitely far superior to the shitty theatrical version. The new characters get better introductions, especially Cyborg, who has a solid arc balancing his self-discovery and his relationship with his father, Affleck is no longer bloated and exhausted (not to mention he isn't spouting awful quips), and God help me, even the Flash isn't nearly as insufferable as he was in the Whedon version. Ezra Miller's chirpy singsong cadence still grates, and I didn't find any of his jokes funny, but I no longer felt the urge to smack him every time he opened his mouth, so...baby steps. Visually, the movie is far more impressive, with better cinematography, more appropriate lighting, and more polished effects.

Does this make the Snyder cut a good movie? In a word, no. Snyder simply can't get over his apparent fixation on his films being first and foremost a gallery of heroic tableaus and epic, awe-inspiring shots. It feels as though most of his scenes, and certainly every action scene, are designed with this thought in mind - not about telling the story in the best way, not about letting us get to know the characters, but having as many opportunities as possible for someone to pause the movie, look at the screen, and say, "Wow, this looks awesome!" And to be clear, sometimes it really does look great. But films are more than a series of dramatic poses. When something like that is clearly the director's biggest priority, it shows, and the rest of the movie suffers as a result.

And then there's the constant slow motion. After wisely toning that element of his movies down in MoS and BvS, Snyder has brought it back with a vengeance, and now there's so much of it that it becomes tiresome, and loses whatever unique factor it might have had to begin with. I shouldn't have to explain this, but if you take a cool element and completely overexpose it, use it way too much, it's just not going to seem cool anymore. And why does he keep using it for the Flash's scenes? He doesn't just make the world around him slow, he makes the Flash himself slow too! He literally makes the character known entirely for his speed slow for dramatic effect! Why, Zack, why? Speaking of the Flash, he still has the same exaggerated limb movements in close-ups while running. It looks really, really silly, and I don't know what the point of it was.

One more thing I want to criticize is how deliberately the movie aims for an R rating, or to be more specific, how a PG-13 movie has been edited to earn it an R rating for no apparent reason. Parademons spew digital blood when killed, the camera lingers on their mangled bodies afterward as if to emphasize that yes, they're definitely dead, and even scenes from earlier versions of the movie have been edited to be more violent. That last one I can prove. Four years ago in this thread I posted this gif from a trailer:

Bear in mind that this was before Whedon became involved with the movie. Anyway, Wonder Woman doesn't simply knock the Parademons off in the Snyder cut, she slashes them open bloodily. Why? What's the benefit of taking a PG-13 movie (as opposed to a property with adult themes or content baked into its DNA) and slathering some superficially R-rated stuff like a few shoehorned "fucks" and a ton of digital blood over it? My guess is simply that Snyder is the kind of edgelord who believes that mainstream capeshit, starring mainstream capeshitters like Batman and Superman, should be aimed primarily at edgy adults instead of kids and families, despite the fact that these movies are always marketed towards and make a lot of money from kids and families. It's very petty, childish gatekeeping, and it's genuinely sad how many people seem to agree with Snyder on this and enthusiastically cheer him on. This ridiculous IGN review, for example, says, "Hearing Batman say f*** is rad," and even uses it as a pull quote.

A final few thoughts. The movie is presented in a 4:3 aspect ratio (meaning shitty black bars on both sides of the screen) for pretentious reasons. Martian Manhunter is in this, despite adding nothing and the "reveal" of whom he's been disguised as all this time not jibing at all with that character's past behavior. Also, his introduction completely undermines what had up to that moment been a nice scene between Martha and Lois discussing their shared grief (Why? Why couldn't those two have genuinely had that nice, heartfelt moment together? Why did he have to be disguised as one of them?) for Clark. Snyder actually had the balls to stick another stupid "Knightmare" scene at the end of the movie, and while it's not at all a good scene, either in terms of the current film or the future of the franchise, I can't help but kind of admire his dedication to such a stupid bit. Jared Leto's Joker is in that scene, and while he's still kind of annoying, especially his dumb wheezing laugh, there's no doubt he's far better than he was in SS. Oh, and it's four hours long.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 07:25:16 PM by honk »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 11, 2021, 02:48:37 AM »
Tiny-Peepee Coates
The Mastery.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: July 29, 2021, 03:45:02 AM »
Nolan's action scenes definitely worked better from a storytelling perspective, but as far as style and choreography went, they were severely lacking.

Just look at how slow and ungainly Batman is.  I mean, I wouldn't want to fight him or anything, but I don't buy him as any kind of brilliant martial artist capable of taking on crowds of enemies and winning.

God, this movie had such awful fight choreography. The previous two movies had some pretty lame fights as well, but at least there were comparatively fewer of them, with most of the action being chase scenes or races against time instead. For whatever reason, Rises emphasizes straightforward fisticuffs, and it all looks so, so bad, even when the hits are connecting. Tom Hardy as Bane is even less convincing as a supposed expert combatant than Bale, and he's not particularly believable as the physical powerhouse the movie tries to sell him as, either.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:36:47 PM by honk »

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 07, 2021, 10:51:39 AM »
The Suicide Squad is, unequivocally, the best DCEU movie to come out yet.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 07, 2021, 02:21:34 PM »
I agree. It's very smartly written, there's a ton of visual comedy (as opposed to just quips) that had me laughing hard, the cast is terrific, and there's a solid, sincere story under all the gore and shock value. Also, while I think most people who paid close attention to the trailers could probably have seen it coming, I still loved the bait-and-switch of the movie's beginning. It's so amusingly mean-spirited. My only real issue, and it's a very minor one, is that I think the movie could have done without Waller's trio of snarky assistants, or at least toned them down a bit. They're not funny, and there's something about the way they talk and act that feels very forced and unnatural, like they're trying way too hard to be all cool and unfazed. Their swearing in particular sounds incredibly contrived. It's always something like, "Wow, what the FUCK is going on?" or "Look at all the SHIT that's happened!" with them. But like I said, that's a purely personal nitpick. This is an awesome movie.

Rama Set

« Reply #1013 on: August 07, 2021, 04:57:59 PM »
We are talking about the second one?

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 08, 2021, 04:29:50 AM »
Yes, the second one. We are specifically discussing The Suicide Squad, not to be confused with Suicide Squad. It's an odd choice of title, and one that's undoubtedly puzzling to casual moviegoers who want to know about its connection to the first SS. Similarly, everyone involved with the movie has played coy whenever they've been asked about how the films are related. I can see where they're coming from. On the one hand, 2016's SS was an incompetent clusterfuck and a critical disaster, so they want to keep their distance from it. On the other hand, it was also (for reasons that I will never, ever understand) a big financial success with staying power in the box office, so they don't want to keep too much of a distance from it. Will playing both sides work to this movie's commercial advantage? Let's wait and see!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:57:22 AM by honk »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 08, 2021, 11:03:02 AM »
Wait.

Its not a sequel?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 08, 2021, 12:51:39 PM »
Technically it's a sequel. But it only shares a handful of characters (which does make sense, given the nature of Task Force X), it adds new ones who seem to be intended as staples of the series (Honk's example above of the peanut gallery, which I actually enjoyed), and the tone is totally different.

I assume it's supposed to follow the original, but there's absolutely no connection that I saw between the stories (though to be fair I've blocked so much of the original from my memory it's possible a reference or two slipped through that I didn't notice). Which, again, makes sense in the context of the movie. The concept just makes sense as a series of mostly disconnected stories.

This convention of adding or dropping articles to indicate a sequel is dumb. And lazy. And confusing. It probably reached its peak silliness with Fast Furious but I guess it's not going anywhere.

Anyway this movie was just fun, and it gets real pathos from unexpected corners. James Gunn is just really good with the quirky teams, I guess, highlighting their characters' absurdity while also making us care for them. I could have predicted that Idris Elba would blow me away as Bloodshot, or that Sylvester Stallone would be funny voicing a cartoon shark; but my favorite character, unexpectedly, was Ratcatcher, because of her warmth and humanity, and Daniela Melchior slays in the part. Polka-Dot Man was another unexpected highlight, with the movie's best running gag centering on his relationship with his mother (who afflicted him with his "powers").

And I've never been a John Cena fan but he's actually great in this, delivering some utterly ridiculous lines with deadpan precision.

Everything about this movie just works.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 17, 2021, 12:12:45 AM »
https://www.avclub.com/james-gunn-almost-made-superman-the-villain-in-the-suic-1847493406

Really glad this didn't happen. Evil/antagonistic Superman is boring and played out by now. It's bad enough that that shitty-looking Suicide Squad game from Rocksteady will have evil Superman in it too. And yes, it looks shitty. I mean, I'm almost certainly going to play it anyway, but it looks very bad:

Why are people praising this? It looks terrible! Anyway, yeah, I'm tired of evil Superman. Give me good Superman for once.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: October 17, 2021, 04:24:51 PM »
New capeshit trailer, new hot takes from yours truly:

Batman casually wading through a hail of bullets unfazed is going too far. Not because it's unrealistic - I don't care about that - but because it makes him absurdly overpowered. Where's the tension if he's that indestructible? If an assault rifle being emptied into his chest doesn't even make him flinch, then how is he ever in any real danger when he's fighting in hand-to-hand combat? You'd need a rocket launcher to actually hurt this dude! I'm also not a fan of Colin Farrell's Sopranos-esque take on the Penguin. I could see it working for a more traditional mobster like Carmine Falcone, but it's just not an interesting choice for the Penguin. Everything else looks pretty cool, though. I'm not super keen on this being yet another grimdark Batman, but at least this is a bit different in that the focus seems to be on his recklessness and self-destructive behavior, which could make for an interesting look at the character. I love the emo look Pattinson is rocking. It simply shouldn't work, but it does.

Rama Set

« Reply #1019 on: October 17, 2021, 05:27:02 PM »
Tension can come from elements other than physical danger.