manicminer

Re: Unusual looking lunar feature
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 09:51:45 AM »
Is the fact that I personally took this image using my own equipment and therefore know exactly how it was created and all the steps taken to create it relevant here?

Oh yes and just in case there is any confusion,  shootingstar has now become manicminer.  Fancied a change.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:53:24 AM by manicminer »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 11:41:36 AM »
it could be a sign of manipulation but it could also just be a sign of lossy compression so I find that inconclusive
You just restated my point in its entirety. I'm not sure why you think we're disagreeing?

When I think of digital photo artifacts I think blocks of miscolored, corrupt pixels.
You're thinking of corruption in some digital formats (PNG?). I'm suggesting a minor mis-adjustment of the camera's sensor resulting in some clipped highlights.

Also just to be sure, could you provide an example of a digital photo artifact similar to the one above?
This would be extremely difficult to reproduce in a controlled fashion, so no, I can't. I can only hope that an explanation of the concepts involved will be obvious to someone who claims to have experience with photography.

Is the fact that I personally took this image using my own equipment and therefore know exactly how it was created and all the steps taken to create it relevant here?
No, because you're refusing to present any data of worth - just a low-res, blurry and heavily compressed JPEG. If you want to be relevant, try being useful to the discussion.

Oh yes and just in case there is any confusion,  shootingstar has now become manicminer.  Fancied a change.
You keep deleting accounts after receiving moderation warnings. I consider that an attempt at dodging the rules. Next time you "fancy a change", rename your account like everyone else.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:44:47 AM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

manicminer

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »
I have never deliberately tried to dodge any of your rules Pete.  I have contributed to many different forums (other websites) and this is the first time I have ever been accused of breaking or flaunting any rules as such.  What purpose do they serve anyway apart from to keep the round Earthers 'in check'?  I wonder how many FE supporters have been warned or banned?

Anyhow I am prevented from posting the original, non-compressed image of that particular feature due to the file size limitations for attachments.  If you would like me to send you the original uncompressed version of the image then I will be happy to do so. I have it in several different file formats.  However as the original photo taker I can definitely confirm that the image is not 'faked' in any way. Everything in the image is true to life and real. I did use an OIII (ionised oxygen filter) which actually helps to sharpen lunar features under bad or poor seeing conditions.

The original reason for posting this image is that the feature in question looked decidedly 'artificial' at first glance. I just wanted to find out if anyone shared that view.  Nothing more sinister than that.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:23:14 PM by manicminer »

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 12:49:07 PM »
Well it has the features of a satellite IMO. I'm no professional on satellites but the shape has a cylinder bit attached to a cubish shaped thing, then on the right side sticking out seems to be like a solar panel type thing going on. After googling what satellites might look like you can find similar shapes. Of course I could be wrong. ^^
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

manicminer

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
Well Chris, I can solve the dilemma by saying it is actually this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mons_La_Hire

It would have defeated the object it I had said what it was at the beginning because I wanted to find out what people saw in the photo on instinct only. This is an example to show how shadows can play tricks with our perception. The left side of the feature looks for all the world like a tall vertical mast of some kind.  However it would have to be huge to be visible this clearly at the scale of the image.  The nearby craters of Lambert and Euler are 30km and 28km wide respectively. The presence of the dark, elongated shadow to the upper left of the 'mast' reinforces that appearance.

A few nights later I checked the same area again and it looked completely different.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 01:38:29 PM »
Well Chris, I can solve the dilemma by saying it is actually this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mons_La_Hire

It would have defeated the object it I had said what it was at the beginning because I wanted to find out what people saw in the photo on instinct only. This is an example to show how shadows can play tricks with our perception. The left side of the feature looks for all the world like a tall vertical mast of some kind.  However it would have to be huge to be visible this clearly at the scale of the image.  The nearby craters of Lambert and Euler are 30km and 28km wide respectively. The presence of the dark, elongated shadow to the upper left of the 'mast' reinforces that appearance.

A few nights later I checked the same area again and it looked completely different.
Ahh fair play, not a satellite then! :D At least there's a good reason the lighting is the same direction as the moons.

Such an unusual shape and structure compared to the rest of the landmass around it, I have to admit I never would have suspected it to be a mountain on the surface.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:43:45 PM by ChrisTP »
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 02:22:24 PM »
Anyhow I am prevented from posting the original, non-compressed image of that particular feature due to the file size limitations for attachments.
No, you're not. You're as capable of posting links and using the [img] tag as anyone else.

I have never deliberately tried to dodge any of your rules Pete.
That's odd. You delete your account precisely one day after each warning you receive.

What purpose do they serve anyway apart from to keep the round Earthers 'in check'?  I wonder how many FE supporters have been warned or banned?
The rules can be found here, and our public ban log is here. Stop "wondering" and start solving your own problems - it's quite rewarding.

manicminer

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 02:57:03 PM »
That's odd. You delete your account precisely one day after each warning you receive.

Really, what is also odd then is that I never seem to have been notified about those warnings.  Anyway thanks for the warning about the warnings and hopefully we can move on now.

When I find a problem Pete, trust me I make every effort to solve it myself.  I am not privy to any statistics about who else has been warned or banned like you moderators are so I have no choice but to 'wonder' (or speculate should I say - that is a more appropriate word than wonder) about that sort of thing.  If that information is freely available then please let me know and I will stand corrected. 

manicminer

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 03:01:57 PM »
Such an unusual shape and structure compared to the rest of the landmass around it, I have to admit I never would have suspected it to be a mountain on the surface.

Exactly what I thought.  It just seemed so sharply defined compared to everything else around it. I have spent hours scanning the lunar surface and so unless it is very unusual I don't really notice it anymore.  I also videoed 'something' drifting across the Moons surface recently as well. I will try and upload that to YouTube if I can.  It wasn't the ISS as I saw that pass over along a different direction a few minutes later and it missed the Moon completely.

Still to this day I don't know exactly what it was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't aliens!

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 03:34:08 PM »
Quote from: manicminer link=topic=11961.msg182225#msg182225 ate=1549033023
Really, what is also odd then is that I never seem to have been notified about those warnings. 
You were sent a private message each time, and we tend to include a public post, too. Those can still be found with a simple search.

When I find a problem Pete, trust me I make every effort to solve it myself.  I am not privy to any statistics about who else has been warned or banned like you moderators are
I literally just linked you to the ban log. Basic reading comprehension, please.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 03:36:25 PM by Pete Svarrior »

manicminer

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2019, 05:04:45 PM »
Well none of those private messages ever got through to me Pete.  Maybe they got lost somewhere in cyberspace somewhere. I have noticed quite a few postings in among several threads recently which I thought to myself were surely deserving of a warning or a ban but apparently these were overlooked. Mostly these came from obvious flat Earth supporters so I guessed that might have been the reason why.  Needless to say that discretion lies with you and your fellow moderators.

Anyway Pete its a clean slate as far as I am concerned now. I do promise I will be more mindful of the 'rules' in future.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2019, 05:57:33 PM »
Well none of those private messages ever got through to me Pete.  Maybe they got lost somewhere in cyberspace somewhere.
That's not how any of this works, friend. Perhaps if you stopped deleting your account every time you get in trouble, you'd be able to access your own record. But don't worry - it's not lost on us :)

I have noticed quite a few postings in among several threads recently which I thought to myself were surely deserving of a warning or a ban but apparently these were overlooked.
Yes, if you fail to report rule breaches, you shouldn't expect for us to act on them. We're not clairvoyant.

Anyway Pete its a clean slate as far as I am concerned now.
It's not - the warnings from your past accounts were not forgotten, and deleting your account in the future will not help either.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2019, 06:12:43 PM »
This is what you would expect to see - given that the side we see is, of course, facing toward Earth which would largely shield it from meteor strikes.

Why would that happen?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

manicminer

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2019, 07:23:49 PM »
Because the far side of the Moon is always fully exposed to the space beyond. So any space debris which approaches the Moon from behind (as wee see it) will be unchallenged before it hits the Moon. Anything which approaches from the Earth facing direction will encounter the Earth first so it acts like an enormous shield.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:26:04 PM by manicminer »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »
Because the far side of the Moon is always fully exposed to the space beyond. So any space debris which approaches the Moon from behind (as wee see it) will be unchallenged before it hits the Moon. Anything which approaches from the Earth facing direction will encounter the Earth first so it acts like an enormous shield.

It's not enormous enough to do that, though. Earth is a miniscule target in the way of anything approaching the Moon.
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

manicminer

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2019, 09:55:00 PM »
The Earth is not such a miniscule target as you may think.  There are also other reasons, geologically based why the Moon has less craters on the Earth facing side.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:58:00 PM by manicminer »