Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Steam on Linux
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »
Sure there'll be the occasional hobbyists but they're not really what drives open source development. In my opinion.

Too bad your opinion doesn't correlate with reality.

Yes, there are open-source projects that are backed by companies, but there are also many successful open-source projects which are primarily community-driven. Both are significant sources of development effort, and neither should be underestimated.

So what's the model really?

Valve will take a cut of games they sell via SteamOS.

Paid developers will do a significant part of the work on SteamOS. They will be paid because they are games developers who sell games on SteamOS.

I never suggested that Valve would have to do no work at all, only that they would also benefit from the work of volunteers.

Game players will buy games on SteamOS.

A very small fraction of those game players will have the wit and know-how to make changes to source code. This is a volunteer coder.

I would imagine that most players on SteamOS won't want to fix bugs, as it's a commercial product targeted at gamers. This is irrelevant as long as SteamOS is based on Debian, and people who write code on Debian run Steam.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »
Here's my experience:
The proprietary driver (legacy) was a pain to install.  Once in I found that steam games were visually faster but produced graphical glitches (flashing shadows, missing renders, etc..).
The open source drivers worked without glitches but produced noticeably visually slower rendering.  I think it was a 15fps difference. 

Sounds to me like the open-source driver is what needs optimising. The proprietary driver needs bug fixes.

I haven't actually tried the proprietary driver on my HD 6850, but I feel no need to, since the open-source one works perfectly well for my needs.

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
Too bad your opinion doesn't correlate with reality.

Evidence?

Yes, there are open-source projects that are backed by companies, but there are also many successful open-source projects which are primarily community-driven.

Community != Volunteer

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
Evidence?

I could put in the effort to track down some numbers to post, but I don't care enough. Instead, I'll name a few projects that started as volunteer efforts and continue to be maintained in large part by volunteers: Linux, GNU, Debian, Apache, PHP, PostgreSQL, Xfce, Mesa (a free OpenGL implementation). Any of these sound familiar?

Community != Volunteer

Communities are typically made up of a healthy mix of paid and volunteer developers. It would be highly unusual to find one lacking in volunteer effort.

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 06:48:57 PM »
I'll name a few projects that started as volunteer efforts and continue to be maintained in large part by volunteers:

*sigh*. You don't get it do you?

Communities are typically made up of a healthy mix of paid and volunteer developers. It would be highly unusual to find one lacking in volunteer effort.

It would be unusual to find a field without a sheep in it. Therefore all animals in fields are sheep.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 07:02:42 PM »
It would be unusual to find a field without a sheep in it. Therefore all animals in fields are sheep.

Thanks for the obvious straw man. It's made it clear that you're trolling.

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 10:24:40 PM »
Thanks for the obvious straw man. It's made it clear that you're trolling.

Meh. Whatever dude.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 11:32:49 PM »
fappenhosen is a troll?  He should have a troll name or something.  Oh, wait, never mind.